February 2014 Ask Susan-Pearl

I don't like the idea of you from sunderland, especially after today ;)

My son is hilarious so I think he has some of my genes :D He looks like his dad but sounds more like me. Which is a bit weird ;D

The girls are bit more serious but do know how to have fun. My youngest granddaughter Daisy is shaping out to be very funny ( Note the picture I posted from under her bed last week) ;D

Sorry Darren I did think twice about mentioning it but to be honest the temptation was too great ;D ;D ;D I'm a happy bunny today ;)
I'm sure there will be a time you can have some revenge ;) ( In your dreams of cause ;D ;D) ;) Just joking Darren.

Sorry Darren I did think twice about mentioning it but to be honest the temptation was too great ;D ;D ;D I'm a happy bunny today ;)
I'm sure there will be a time you can have some revenge ;) ( In your dreams of cause ;D ;D) ;) Just joking Darren.

fair enough Susan, from what I hear you was the better team so can have no complaints if the best team wins, just hard to take when its your closest rivals, don't worry I know your joking, we all need a bit of a laugh in life don't we

I noticed last week you supported NC, ( Nearly choked on my tea when I read it ;D) That's why I asked you why you supported them. :D

yeah can understand now why you wondered why I supported the toon

Wow, it is still the first of February here and we are on page four of this thread!!!!!

OK Susan, I will do one question per post.

Here is number one.....

You mentioned you live about 2 hours from Holmsfirth. Would this be the area of "Vicar of Dibley" by any chance? I know, its a silly question.

Also, when you go to Yorkshire, where exactly do you like to visit and what do you like to do?

Next Question.

Other than Summer Wine, what are your favorite British shows?

Your favorite American shows?

What's your "waking up" routine of a morning?? Slow and steady or "up an at em"?? ???

Hello Cod, no its not a silly question but I don't live near Dibley ( Unfortunately :))

When we go to Yorkshire we usually go and eat fish and chips from the chippy near Pearson's bookies. We stand across the road on the bridge and eat them, then we wonder round for a while and have a pint in The Elephant And Castle then its off to Daisy Lane book Shop and wonder around there for ages. We usually go to all the charity shops there and visit the church opposite Sid's, there's usually a book sale on. Then its into Sid's Cafe for tea and scones.
We've been on the bus tour a few times, which is a bit hair raising on some of the country lanes. ( I keep meaning email Lesley Dunlop to tell her to wash her bedroom curtains).

We do a lot of shopping there, then we sit in the park for a while and then pop off home.

Its a great day out. :D

Next Question.

Other than Summer Wine, what are your favourite British shows?

Your favourite American shows?

My favourite British comedy's are. In no particular order.

Keep Up Appearances
Porridge
Open All Hours
Dinner ladies
Stella

British Drama
Lewis
George Gently
Scott and bailey
DCI Banks
Midsummer Murder
Any thing by Agatha Christie

US Comedy
Fraser
Cheers
Everybody Loves Raymond
Two And Half Men ( With Charlie Sheen)
Mike And Molly

US Drama
I used to like NCIS and CSI but they got a bit samey so don't really watch them now
I was a HUGE Lost fan............. Didn't a clue what was going on but loved it. ( The ending was **** :'()
I really liked Terra Nova ( Teeny weeny crush type thingy with Stephen Lang :eek:)
Alcatraz ......... Really annoyed with Fox because they had 2 new original shows, Alcatraz and Terra Nova and only did 1 season of both!!)
And a really big fan of West Wing.
My current favourite is Falling Sky

I know you didn't ask about films but I thought I'd throw in a freebie in for you ;)
I like disaster movies ( The bigger and cheesier the disaster the better)
Towering Inferno
The Day After Tomorrow, that kind of thing.

I like anything with Humphrey Bogart in ( Teeny weeny crush thingy going on there too :-[)
Ice Cold In Alex
Ice Station Zebra
Apollo 13

I like a bit of Sci-Fi and anything involving getting lost. There seems to be a patten forming here about getting lost, I must find a trick-cyclist one of these days.

Sorry about the long post ;D

What's your "waking up" routine of a morning?? Slow and steady or "up an at em"?? ???

Before I had RA I was an up an at em kinda gal, now my joints creek and grown in the morning and if I trying doing anything faster than a snails pace my body laughs its socks off and punishes me so its slow and steady.
I get up make my tea and toast turn the lappy on and splatter tea everywhere reading George's jokes.
I'm usually OK to go after that.

Then all the fun of the day can start ;D ;D

Hope this isn't too personal, but I admire the way you taught yourself to read having dyslexia. How did you do that? Did you have help?

With dyslexia you have to find a way that involves reparation, I found that reading a sentence over and over again the words stuck. I'd find a book I liked and sat with a dictionary. I knew the basics, mostly with 3/4 letters the rest I looked up in the dictionary and was able to work out what the word was with the description. It took ages to read a paragraph but if it was a book a found interesting I stuck with it.

If I'd had books at school that I liked I may have done better but the generic school books just didn't hold my interest and the teachers just didn't have the patience or the time I suppose, to sit with me and find a way for me to learn.

The trouble with educating the masses is its all generic and standardised which does work for 90% of kids but there are those like me that slip through the cracks and because of targets and the mounds of paperwork and the national curriculum that teachers have to get through I can understand why. I believe things have changed a bit from when I was at school but there still are the odd one of two being missed.

The courses I'm on are pretty basic and now and then we have a school leaver join the group because they want to go to collage but didn't get the certs they needed at school because they were a little slower to learn, I despair for these young adults but admire them for sitting a room full of old fogy's and redoing the exams.

That is wonderful. It must have taken you such a long time. We grew up when dyslexia wasn't recognized or they just didn't take the time to find out why this kid fails. I feel bad what you have gone through but it is inspiring to me. I would imagine your kids are very proud. :) :respect:

I didn't find out until my kids started going to school and having the same problems has me. I butted heads with lots of teachers over it because it wasn't really recognised then too, but there was no way my kids were going through that too so I became a nuisance at their school. When they were diagnosed eventually with dyslexia I had myself tested and it all fell into place.

We travel " A lot" because we get lost a lot then get lost trying to find our way back to where we started!! ;D

I went to Belgium and Holland on a school trip ( I could tell you some storeys about that too!!! :-[ )
But other than that a few trips to the Isle Of Skye and The Orkney's we do our travelling in the UK mainland....... Yee gods can you imagine me, the husband and a useless map going global? ;D ;D

I don't think the rest of the world is ready for us yet ;D ;D

There are other country's I'd like to visit but if that will happen or not we'll have to wait and see. ;)

Right now I've just started the new Ian Rankin book Saints Of The Shallow Bible.
He's a great writer and his books are set in Scotland so its a two birds kinda thing for me ;D ;D

Back