The Summerwine.net music thread

There’s something about scouse bands

Another band / leader steeped in mystery from Liverpool I give you Lee Mavers of the LA's whose one and only album is considered one of the finest first albums of all time . I read Matthew Macefield's book which was fascinating . Though the album is considered a masterpiece Mavers was never happy with the mix that the record company put out and there are many many versions of the songs that are available which he considers superior to those on the release. He is an Enigma but there's no denying the sheer talent he brought to music and why he is revered often compared to novelists who write one masterpiece and never write again.

Captain...he sits a few seats away from me at Everton !!!!....he still looks the same !!!....[same clobber...same haircut]
I was security for them in The Mountford Hall in Liverpool when they toured that amazing album.
It's funny Captain...I still play the Stone Roses debut album and The La's album TO DEATH !!!!...and they still sound as magical as the first time I played them.
The La's were paid a good few bob for a 3 album deal...but Lee being Lee...it was never going to happen.
I bet John Power was overjoyed though !!...he went on to form CAST !!!.
I always think that he was such a perfectionist that it cost him a glittering musical career...so instead he sits at Goodison...getting depressed like the rest of us bitter blues !!!.
x!

Brilliant!! It was clear that he was a perfectionist from the book however, I like others would have been very anxious if the infamous second album was nowhere near as great as the first always that trepidation perhaps it was meant to be that he stopped after the first . I have three copies of the album bought one played it to destruction almost but then couldn't find it bought another copy and found the first played it again similarly lent a copy to a friend then couldn't find it again and didn't get it back from my mate for some time so bought another , found the missing copy again , he returned it so I have 3 copies :fp: . John Power clearly was also huge talent and the Cast were a really respectable group who sold lots of records. Like you I still give the Stone Roses album some hammer , their and LA's albums still sound as good as ever never ever dated. At least you are higher in the league than Toon !

The Dubliners singing a song called Sally Wheatley, generally and wrongly regarded as Canadian in origin. The song almost certainly originated in Newcastle.

CHUFFER !!!!...I know Eddie and Gary quite well !!!!.....HE HAS TOP BANTER with the audience !!!...good Kirkby lads !!!....and the longevity is amazing...their first album came out in.......1982 !!!!....MY LORD....THAT MAKES ME FEEL REALLY OLD !!!!...A VERY UNDERATED BAND...I THINK "CHRISTIAN" IS STILL ABSOLUTELY AMAZING....from 1982 it still sounds fresh and beautiful.
x!
Oh Wow MoodyBlue that is amazing,please tell them how fantastic they were,I loved them then and still do,they were brilliant live and I think it was Gary,was so funny,they were doing the Flaunt the imperfection tour playing all the songs from the album,and they signed a copy of the cd for me,yes Christian was great wasn’t it,and I loved the video too,although they deserved it,in a way I’m glad they weren’t more successful as they were ‘my’ band in the eighties,how cool that you know them,thanks for the reply I loved reading that and it made me go Wow out loud,just as when I read about Peri and Terry being in episodes of SW,what a great bunch of people on here x

It was just before the COVID outbreak I saw them MoodyBlue,not when Flaunt the imperfection first came out,I think it was some anniversary of the album,and they were every bit as brilliant as they were in the 80’s

Hello Chuffer !!!!...
I was very lucky really...I used to mix in the same circles as Echo and The Bunnymen [my second favourite group !!!] and Teardrop Explodes
It was a wonderful time musically in Liverpool...Eric's used to have all the bands on,and there was a real energy to the scene.
I USED to know Ian and Will from The Bunny men very well,and have been in the company of the "flawed genius" a.k.a. Julian Cope many times !!!!.
Although Liverpool was in the middle of the drug epidemic [because the P.M. shut down all the customs offices at the port...HONEASTLY !!] the music galvanised the people......we didn't have much...but we had OUR BANDS and each other.
x!

t was a wonderful time musically in Liverpool...Eric's used to have all the bands on

I have been to Liverpool many times you go to Matthew Street and of course everyone is taking snaps of the Cavern and out of the throng I was the only one taking pictures of Eric's one guy out of the bunch asked me why inside I'm thinking Whaaaaat!! [before the blue plaque etc went up these snaps are later] but I spent five minutes explaining about all the great bands who had appeared Upstairs finally the penny dropped and he took a few snaps :)

IMG_2909.JPG

IMG_2910.JPG

I once gave Ian Mac a light for his cigarette in the Hacienda (early ‘80’s) on a gig night. Although it wasn’t earning any money for Factory in those days I went to so many memorable gigs at that venue. Then of course the rave scene arrived and the venue got rammed with drugs/ gangsters and it was all over.
Out of all the venues in Manchester I used to frequent there’s only the Apollo, Band On The Wall, Ritz ballroom and the old G Mex left…Hacienda, International 1 & 2, Gallery, Free Trade Hall, Jilly’s, Banshee, Isadoras, Mayflower, Belle Vue, Venue etc all gone.
Getting back on track another great band from Wirral( my wife Gill’s manor)

Inky !!!!...I love the J.A.M.C !!!!!....
Psycocandy was absolutely groundbreaking !!!....all that reverb...amazing.
They were like musical chameleons.....the way they made their different albums themed [especially their amazing "country album"]
I saw them at the Royal Court in Liverpool which turned out to be the 2nd shortest gig [the 1st was the infamous Beastie Boys gig at the same venue] I had ever been to......they came on....started "just like honey"...stopped....smashed their guitars...and left the stage...never to return....
And talk about a transformation.....from geek with a wedge playing a snare drum to bona fide ROCK GOD.....ladies and gentlemen...I give you mr.Bobby Gillespie !!!.
x!

Inky !!!!...I love the J.A.M.C !!!!!....
Psycocandy was absolutely groundbreaking !!!....all that reverb...amazing.
They were like musical chameleons.....the way they made their different albums themed [especially their amazing "country album"]
I saw them at the Royal Court in Liverpool which turned out to be the 2nd shortest gig [the 1st was the infamous Beastie Boys gig at the same venue] I had ever been to......they came on....started "just like honey"...stopped....smashed their guitars...and left the stage...never to return....
And talk about a transformation.....from geek with a wedge playing a snare drum to bona fide ROCK GOD.....ladies and gentlemen...I give you mr.Bobby Gillespie !!!.
x!
All I can say to that is.......

Inky !!!!...another amazing trio...I still play "to the five boroughs" all the time.
The mad thing is...they never really changed their style from "licenced To Ill"!!!...BUT they were still innovators.
When they toured "licenced To Ill" they had apparently said some naughty stuff at the airport when arriving in the U.K.
At the Royal Court concert every loon in Liverpool was present !!!....someone threw a plastic bottle and [I think it was Adam] came back on stage swinging a baseball bat !!!...WRONG IDEA......the place went mental.....police outside...carnage Inky.
I saw them in the round in Glasgow....absolutely amazing...they had "evolved" yet again...and were playing 2 guitars and the drums....a unique trio !!!
x!

Back