Summer Wine Decanted

Just finished it and enjoyed it. One minor creative criticism...a couple of the outdoor to camera pieces had so much background noise as to be almost inaudible. Perhaps either overdub those in Post Production or re-shoot in quieter location. Turning on the Closed Captions leads to some hysterical translations! :01:

OOps...meant to say to try and fix those problems in FUTURE eps before uploading, I didn't mean completely re do this ep!:fp:

I agree with Brian, I really had to listen carefully to some of the scenes with background sound. But overall I enjoyed your documentary more than many more 'polished' TV documentaries on the subject as your content was thoroughly researched and delivered in a really interesting format.

Just finished it and enjoyed it. One minor creative criticism...a couple of the outdoor to camera pieces had so much background noise as to be almost inaudible. Perhaps either overdub those in Post Production or re-shoot in quieter location. Turning on the Closed Captions leads to some hysterical translations! :01:
Pleased you enjoyed it...
1) I do plan to put manual captions on, but it is very time consuming.
2) The radio mics are usually very good at eliminating wind noise, I actually added a bit of wind noise back in on some shots where it sounded like I was in a studio. However, being an almost one-person operation - and not having the resources of the BBC - some background noise is unavoidable. Some of the shots have ADR, but in some instances, including equipment and "people" failures not evident until it's too late, I've processed the audio as much as possible.

T.I. I don't think you really need to spend the time captioning yourself, a bit labour intensive for a 1 man show :16:
However if you have the facility, overdubbing the really noisy bits in post, even if they sound like a studio, would be beneficial. :)

I did not mean to seem critical, you have achieved a great deal with this video, certainly more than I would ever be able to do, and being single handed makes the effort even more rewarding. I was just making a suggestion for us hard of hearing viewers! :42:

It never occurred to me the challenges one might face of unwanted ambient noise while recording. I've dealt with shifting lighting conditions before in photography.

Kudos to you Leigh and Peter. Look forward to more when you are ready. Wish I lived closer, would love to help on this in any way I could. :18:

Regarding the sound issues, I forgot to plug the microphone into the camera at one point...and it was REALLY windy on top of some of those hills. :) And some of the issues didn't become apparent until it was too late.

Several hours were spent yesterday finalising some clips only for theatrically_inclined to experience hard drive failure and lose all of those files shortly before he was due to add the finishing touches. Some of those issues are sadly evident in the final video close to the beginning.
To be frank (spencer), it's a miracle the completed video is as good as it is.

I'm really impressed with the time and effort which Leigh has put into it. Some of the footage came from Leigh working completely on his own with microphones, cameras, laptops etc. because I wasn't able to join him. One of his laptops enjoyed a brief swim in a muddy puddle and, even now, still has muddy residue in its digital orifices!!

There's LOTS more to come. Enjoy it for what it is...warts and all! :):):)

P.S. And my camera tripod is REALLY heavy.

Back