Still Open All Hours?

Can't kill the potential cash cow, same with musicians who trot out their greatest hits albums every couple of years reluctance to move on to new music/styles because they know they can still earn a few quid resting on their laurels , releasing the greatest hits again because someone will buy it . Fans seem to love familiarity you watch any gig and you see lots of fans disinterested in new material but strike up with one of the famous songs and the whole audience erupts.

^^^ this x billions.. leave old shows alone. They are successful, just let them be.
I dont know any remake that wasnt a disaster.. like Blues Brothers 2000, or the politically correct version of Ghost Busters etc etc
I just think that it's interesting that they did a spin off at the same place they did the old show and they got David Jason back to do his old character, and they got Lynda Baron back and then there's Stephanie Cole. Just plain interesting.

But why , amongst all the other foibles the show has and there are many, did Roy Clarke have Stephanie Cole's character chase after David Jason's character romantically ? It just doesn't wash when viewed in the context of the old show when her character was so anti his because he was "young and daft" preferring the more mature man i.e Arkwright . I would love to know what Roy Clarke was thinking of when he penned it , to be frank I would love to know why Roy Clarke wrote it at all , suspect as I have said before the BBC offered stupid money.

Because Granville is now older, wiser, meaner, richer.

As Stephanie Cole was quite young in the original series, she is still capable of playing that character, and obviously no one is going to turn down Stephanie Cole.

The joke is that Granville has virtually turned into Arkwright.

Personally I wouldn't have turned Granville into Arkwright, but there you go.

But why , amongst all the other foibles the show has and there are many, did Roy Clarke have Stephanie Cole's character chase after David Jason's character romantically ? It just doesn't wash when viewed in the context of the old show when her character was so anti his because he was "young and daft" preferring the more mature man i.e Arkwright . I would love to know what Roy Clarke was thinking of when he penned it , to be frank I would love to know why Roy Clarke wrote it at all , suspect as I have said before the BBC offered stupid money.
I heard an interview with David Jason on Radio 2 a few years ago, and the BBC were trying to find a series to accommodate him, and it was David that suggested another series of OAH. Interestingly Roy Clarke appeared on the BBC top paid list a couple of years ago, and you have to be earning north of £150k to be on it, so perhaps you're right about RC's motivation...

Finally got caught up on the series. Enjoyed watching the last two series as much as the earlier ones. Liked the addition of Mrs Rossi, she is a much nicer romantic interest for Mr Newbold. Glad to see Cyril's wife Jasmine at long last. Been hearing so much about her it is good to put a face to a name. Really pleased to see at the end Granville with his Christmas gift to Mavis. Also nice to see Madge eventually thawing her iciness towards Gastric. I do like how they include references to Arkwright as if he is still around and keep his memory alive.

It has been said we become like our parents - whether we like it or not. Seeing Granville become more like Arkwright throughout the series. Then Leroy becoming more like Granville as the cycle continues. I can picture Leroy continuing the tradition of running the shop.

added:

I knew there was something else I had forgotten. Missed seeing Nurse Gladys and Mrs. Hussein characters around in the last two series.

Do like that the ladies' characters have a chance to get more developed by hanging out at Mavis' kitchen for tea and hairdos. Liking we get to spend more time with them. Mrs Featherstone in the wig, oh my goodness! Thought for sure she would have gone for the red one, haha. Enjoying the new characters being brought in. Gives a fuller picture of the people in the neighborhood around the shop.

Last edited:
Watched a few random episodes of Open all Hours and Still Open all Hours the other evening. Had the thought that it would of been nice to of had the milk lady who drove the milk float in the mornings of OaH return. Even if only for a few episodes in SOaH. She was a big love interest for Granville in OaH and it would have been nice to see her again.

I went to look up her name in the show to find that she was not named. She did have other guys interested in her and she may have gotten engaged to another near the end of the series, much to Granville's disappointment.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the romantic story line between Granville and Mavis in SOaH. I like the Mavis character and Maggie who plays her.

Watched a few random episodes of Open all Hours and Still Open all Hours the other evening. Had the thought that it would of been nice to of had the milk lady who drove the milk float in the mornings of OaH return. Even if only for a few episodes in SOaH. She was a big love interest for Granville in OaH and it would have been nice to see her again.

I went to look up her name in the show to find that she was not named. She did have other guys interested in her and she may have gotten engaged to another near the end of the series, much to Granville's disappointment.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the romantic story line between Granville and Mavis in SOaH. I like the Mavis character and Maggie who plays her.
Barbara Flynn - Wikipedia
Totally agree, would've been nice to rekindle the old love interest.

In OaH Granville had two real love interests one was Mavis the other the Milkwoman . Although Mavis was married her husband had run off and she had great affection for Granville and he for her, so I imagine Roy Clarke probably decided there was more mileage in Mavis than the milk woman when it came to SOaH and that continues to play out over all the series so far.

In OaH Granville had two real love interests one was Mavis the other the Milkwoman . Although Mavis was married her husband had run off and she had great affection for Granville and he for her, so I imagine Roy Clarke probably decided there was more mileage in Mavis than the milk woman when it came to SOaH and that continues to play out over all the series so far.
Aye, but can you imagine the fun if there was some love interest 'competition?'
Nobody is saying it was 'lacking', but the love interest would've been heightened had Barbara Flynn re-done her saucy "oh Granville" thing.
I have to say, like you, to an extent, it ran it's course after a couple of series of the re-run, but they are familiar characters that we take pleasure and solace in and I'd rather see another series of SOAH with Barbara Flynn being saucy with Granville than most other sitcoms on offer these days.
I'm glad SOAH was made and I really enjoyed it, but if it was left alone after one more Xmas special to wrap it up, I'd be happy enough.
I think the real problem we all have with Summer Wine is that it ended on almost a nothing, Clegg providing the last line not withstanding, but at least with SOAH, there can be a final wrap up and burial if the BBC commission one last special.
I always had a lasting regret that the last series of Summer Wine was devoted all to Howard, BUT, given time and perspective, that's OK.
I'd be disappointed if the BBC didn't allow SOAH to have a final end story where maybe Granville married Mavis.

In one episode of SOaH Leroy's Mum turned up in the guise of the wonderful Paula Wilcox bringing turmoil to Granville's existence . Roy Clarke could have also developed that angle but chose not to and continued with the Mavis angle.

In one episode of SOaH Leroy's Mum turned up in the guise of the wonderful Paula Wilcox bringing turmoil to Granville's existence . Roy Clarke could have also developed that angle but chose not to and continued with the Mavis angle.
Yes, she was actually good, blunt rather than saucy mind. I thought Paula played a good part as the hard faced tart as opposed to Mavis who was much more Granville's type.
Maybe Barbara Flynn, or even the lovely Sue Holderness as the saucy Mrs. Rossi after Granville could have played a love tryst.
As much as I've enjoyed SOAH and I'm glad it got remade, just because of characters like Gastric and wet Eric, if it had one last Xmas special finale to put it to bed, I'd be quite pleased. The last series or two have over reached it's plot lines.
I'd like to see and hour long Xmas special where Granville and Mavis and Gastric and Madge get it together, in a nice Xmas environment and then leave it be for all time, so we can all say "ah yeah, grand, I'm glad they did it, I've enjoyed that and it's been put to bed and tucked in nicely". A proper finale to a nice and well received series where we are all happy.

I'm looking forward to when they re-incarnate the series a third time as Still, Still Open (Part) Hours. With Leroy in charge of the shop as Granville and Arkwright are invisibly controlling the old till. The shop would open up late in the morning and close early in the evening. Leroy would have a fancy bit on the side maybe working there with him. Possibly even a little one running around to run the shop for the next generation. :21:

One a side note I did find a picture on ebay of Arkwright just like the one they have in the kitchen! Discovered it while looking for a dvd box set of OaH.

Still Open All Hours has shades of . . . LOTSW when Mr. Newbold has Gastric and Cyril over for drinks at his place and then suddenly Mrs. Featherstone shows up and proceeds to assume that they are a couple and then bosses Mr. Newbold around -- shades of Hyacinth and Richard. My oh my.

We get episodes of SOAH in U.S. on the weekends. Recycled, yes. Hilarious? Still enjoyable for me. I'm on antenna so fortunate it is broadcast in clear as a bell HD.

The US Cable cable, WETA-UK takes turns playing the full rotations of Open All Hours and then Still Open All Hours at 6:30 on weekday evenings. This is followed by Summer Wine at 7. (I am not sure if WETA-UK is for the Washington DC area only or nationwide

This may sound like blasphemy, but I actually like Still Open All Hours a little more than the original. The original certainly has great moments, but I don't always get that into it.

Back