Still Open All Hours?

captain clutterbuck

Can't kill the potential cash cow, same with musicians who trot out their greatest hits albums every couple of years reluctance to move on to new music/styles because they know they can still earn a few quid resting on their laurels , releasing the greatest hits again because someone will buy it . Fans seem to love familiarity you watch any gig and you see lots of fans disinterested in new material but strike up with one of the famous songs and the whole audience erupts.

Adanor

^^^ this x billions.. leave old shows alone. They are successful, just let them be.
I dont know any remake that wasnt a disaster.. like Blues Brothers 2000, or the politically correct version of Ghost Busters etc etc
I just think that it's interesting that they did a spin off at the same place they did the old show and they got David Jason back to do his old character, and they got Lynda Baron back and then there's Stephanie Cole. Just plain interesting.

captain clutterbuck

But why , amongst all the other foibles the show has and there are many, did Roy Clarke have Stephanie Cole's character chase after David Jason's character romantically ? It just doesn't wash when viewed in the context of the old show when her character was so anti his because he was "young and daft" preferring the more mature man i.e Arkwright . I would love to know what Roy Clarke was thinking of when he penned it , to be frank I would love to know why Roy Clarke wrote it at all , suspect as I have said before the BBC offered stupid money.

wstol

Because Granville is now older, wiser, meaner, richer.

As Stephanie Cole was quite young in the original series, she is still capable of playing that character, and obviously no one is going to turn down Stephanie Cole.

The joke is that Granville has virtually turned into Arkwright.

Personally I wouldn't have turned Granville into Arkwright, but there you go.

Barrychuckle

But why , amongst all the other foibles the show has and there are many, did Roy Clarke have Stephanie Cole's character chase after David Jason's character romantically ? It just doesn't wash when viewed in the context of the old show when her character was so anti his because he was "young and daft" preferring the more mature man i.e Arkwright . I would love to know what Roy Clarke was thinking of when he penned it , to be frank I would love to know why Roy Clarke wrote it at all , suspect as I have said before the BBC offered stupid money.
I heard an interview with David Jason on Radio 2 a few years ago, and the BBC were trying to find a series to accommodate him, and it was David that suggested another series of OAH. Interestingly Roy Clarke appeared on the BBC top paid list a couple of years ago, and you have to be earning north of £150k to be on it, so perhaps you're right about RC's motivation...