Still open all hours

Both feature groin jokes?

Both are best suited to the 70s and 80s?

Both have this so-called 'gentle comedy' term which is being over-used now with all today's un-gentle comedy?

The Arkwright and Auntie Wainwright similarity?

Another good try but not that. it is a person I am looking for

Most annoying, I missed the documentary this morning. I will have to I player it. If I can work out how to use it.

The script supervisor Bernadette Darnell (a lady) was some kind of production assistant on Series 8 of LOTSW...

just changing tack and going back a little....really looked forward to the show but felt a bit disappointed....will need to watch it again....I agree with philosopher clegg on two points...firstly it seemed like the production team were trying to turn Granville into the old arkwright which didn't work for me....secondly there was lots of family stuff going on which may have tempered my appreciation.

Wife and I watched Still OAH last night and loved it!!!

Jason was magnificent as Arkwright. Nurse Gladys Emanuel
really showed her advanced weight (er ... age) and Maggie
Ollerenshaw was wonderful. Would love to see this become a
series, but very happy with what we have. Gonna have to get
out my old DVDs and re-watch the whole series again!!

Wonder if this same thing could be done with SW???

I have just watched this on the BBC's main site and I really enjoyed it.I particularly liked the scenes with Granville/Johnny Vegas and thought Maggie Ollerenshaw was wonderful as well.I would definitely like to see this turn into a series with hopefully Mavis and Wet Eric given plenty of screen time as they were (apart from David Jason)the ones that really stood out for me

Hector ;D :respect:

.....firstly it seemed like the production team were trying to turn Granville into the old Arkwright which didn't work for me.....

For me, that was the best bit - Granville had become Arkwright! Also as successful in romance as ever his uncle was not!

However we each have our own views - on reflection I think there is enough set up for a series.

Apparently it is at the top of ratings, although that could change!

But a quote

However the revival’s success has suggested a full series could now be on the cards, with producer Gareth Edwards saying: ‘There is a lot of optimism to take this project forward.’

:xmasstree: :xmasstree: :xmasstree:

If it's going to be a series it really does need someone to emerge as the foil for David Jason's Granville. That's what made the original series so successful. At the time, Jason wasn't a big name as such as his big break in Only Fools and Horses was just around the corner, but his face was well known. However, his partnership with Barker, the Arkwright/Granville relationship made the original series what it was. Often the dialogue in an OAH's episode would mostly be between these two well written characters, with occasional cameos from the rest. Still Open All Hours seemed at times like a series of sketches, partly to re-introduce the old characters, but also to get as much in as possible. There wasn't much of a story going on, maybe it needed longer than half hour, but it also needed that strong supporting character to carry it and I didn't see who that could be.

Will the young actor playing his son be up to that? Not sure based on the one episode. I did feel watching it that Rory Kinnear might have been good for the role of his son, although he would be older than James Baxter. Baxter is best known for Emmerdale, and doesn't have a comedy background. Kinnear was a pretty good foil to Count Arthur Strong in the TV show of the same name and will probably be taken up doing that anyway. He certainly would be more like Granville, which makes me think that as Baxter is a bit of a looker and doesn't have the same problems as Granville did with girls a story may emerge that he's not the father after all. Leroy was found on the doorstep (ho!ho!ho!), wouldn't it be a surprise if he was left there by the milkwoman who Granville had a thing for, because she knew he'd be taken care of?!

I think I would also have preferred to see the note that was supposed to go to Mavis end up with her sister. The ongoing story could then have been one of a tug of love between the two sisters and Granville. I still can't imagine the Black Widow Mrs Featherstone behaving the way she did, as she was quite stern and efficient, more of a Nora Batty type in the original. It's difficult to see her having any hidden passions for Granville or any man based on what she was like in the early series.

I thought James Baxter did well.

I'm not sure the part is or is meant to be quite as big as Jason's role in the old days.

I think also the show is maybe more designed for it's original surviving cast.

Personally I don't think Rory Kinnear would be suitable for this role, as youthful good looks are clearly needed in the script.

All I see in Rory Kinnear is his dad Roy.

I'm not sure the part is or is meant to be quite as big as Jason's role in the old days.

Personally I don't think Rory Kinnear would be suitable for this role, as youthful good looks are clearly needed in the script.

I agree Rory Kinnear wouldn't have worked has well.

My point was that with someone more like the original Granville in the role then the son would clearly be different. I imagined that Kinnear was someone of sufficient comedy acting prowess and still young enough to engage with Jason in a way that is desired of main characters. It was just an alternative suggestion, but my main point is the need for a second strong central character which is what the original series had. Baxter may well be good enough for the role as written, but I do wonder who that second strong character will be, only time and a series will tell.

Because this one off lacked that second central character, it was like a series of sketches with Jason at the center. I would assume that if it gets a series then there would be a need for greater emphasis on an actual story. I hope and expect it to get a series, but I would like to see a bit more story and less let's get as many supporting but mostly minor characters in as we can and hope Jason can keep it all together because he's a big name.

Back