Still open all hours

So nobody was going to actually mention that Stephanie Cole reprised her role??? Awaiting PBS to run this show.

So nobody was going to actually mention that Stephanie Cole reprised her role??? Awaiting PBS to run this show.

The Black Widow, Mrs Featherstone has been mentioned several times.

Don't think anyone has mentioned the absence of Barbara Flynn. Everyone else still with us from the original seemed to appear in it, I wonder why she didn't?

The Black Widow, Mrs Featherstone has been mentioned several times.

Don't think anyone has mentioned the absence of Barbara Flynn. Everyone else still with us from the original seemed to appear in it, I wonder why she didn't?

Sorry. I don't keep track of characters names.

Barbara Flynns character would have moved on from being the milk lady mainly because home delivery of milk has declined severely over the last thirty years.Also I bet she was snapped up by some bloke and taken off to a better life,she is onne of my favourite actresses and can be seen regularily on tv and stage.

Barbara Flynns character would have moved on from being the milk lady mainly because home delivery of milk has declined severely over the last thirty years.Also I bet she was snapped up by some bloke and taken off to a better life,she is onne of my favourite actresses and can be seen regularily on tv and stage.

Doesn't mean she couldn't have appeared, after all, Nurse Gladys is no longer a nurse. I think that perhaps it was decided that Mavis would be Granville's potential love interest, so the former milkwomen might have confused matters. Might have been interesting if the new episode had started with Granville married - to the milkwomen - Barbara Flynn is a more than capable actress to hold that role, Leroy (preferably with another name as Leroy seems odd) would be their son. The shop would then have the two central characters to interact with and bounce off each other just like the Arkwright/Granville days, but this time it would be man and wife. Just another way that things could have gone, but I suspect that Clarke wanted to keep Granville single.

As I said, I think the show was a very worthy effort. The makers clearly wanted to keep it the same as it was as much as possible, and I think they suceeded in that.

However, speaking to friends and family, and reading reviews by critics and the public, there is a very mixed reaction.

Some thought it brilliant, others were disappointed, others thought it very weak.

But after 28 years, and the main star gone, what do you expect?

It's never usually a good idea to revive something after a very long time, especially if the main star is dead.

However, in the case of Open All Hours you had two major stars. A show with Ronnie Barker AND David Jason, both at the peak of their careers, has to be absolute sitcom heaven, particularly when written by a top writer like Roy Clarke.

But David Jason alone is a top major star, as we know, so it's logical for him to star in this show on his own, as he's good enough to do it.

I think one problem with David Jason now though is that's he's old now, and somehow just can't do those lively, fresh performances of young Granville or young Del.

Which explains why he has unashamedly taken on the mantle of Arkwright.

The new show wouldn't have worked as Granville still being a dreamer.

Other comments I have heard from people about the new show include;
Too modern
and
Too old fashioned.

!

Now it seems strange to have two so very different opinions here.

Realistically, I suppose one or more of the following changes could have occured;
A new till.
A modern shop interior.
A different type of car for Nurse Gladys.

But they decided, rightly or wrongly, to keep as much the same as possible.
Had they changed this, some would have pointed out their favourite bits that weren't in the new show.

We didn't find out when Arkwright died exactly, though I think it may have been just after the series first ended, and just before Leroy was conceived, as Granville talks about paying for a roof repair around the time he was in Blackpool.

My only fault with the new show is that they didn't get the opening shot at the beginning at the same angle as the old episodes.

Much of the new script was like an old episode, with the anchovy sequence, the bicycle sequence, and the salesman sequence.

I wonder if Roy Clarke had some new scripts prepared before Ronnie Barker's retirement?

My dad who was a fan, and of Summer Wine, but he didn't like it, he said that everyone had gotten to old. I did point out that it had been nigh on 30 years so that was bound to happen.

I think they should have gotten a new till, Granville hated that till and I think once he inherited he would have made some changes just to make the place his if nothing else and I thing he would have taken great delight in taking a lump hammer to that till.

I'm still not sure what I think of it really, I'll watch it again. I just hope that if they do a series they don't ruin it.

Well I don't think they've ruined yet, so fingers crossed. There has been some effort made to maintain the flavour of the old show. All too often a new director likes to put his own slant on a show, but that's not happened here.

You would have expected a new till by now, even a van. These were things Granville always wanted, and a business today would almost certainly have these things by now.

The kitchen has had a bit of a facelift, which would be perfectly reasonable.

What I did notice was that Granville pulled out the old shop bike from round the back, and it looked like it had about 20 years worth of dirt and cobwebs on it.

Recently they had been doing deliveries in Leroy's girlfriend's car.

So how were they doing the deliveries before that?

Many things in this house are the same today as 24 years ago when moved in - so why should Arkwright's change?

As an example same wallpaper, same carpet in lounge, although the computing has changed a bit! So I think that there would not be much change for a provincial shop-keeper and unlikely that it could be afforded.

18 actors appeared in the 30 minutes of Still Open All Hours, but if it gets a series I doubt whether there will be the budget to have as many in little cameos each episode with Jason, so perhaps we will get more of a story. The shop set is the main backdrop for the show, even more so now there is no Arkwright to pay occasional visits to Nurse Gladys. Someone needs to share that space with Granville other than customers to have a decent story. Maybe Baxter will step up and do it, but I'm not convinced a series will work if all it becomes is a series of interactions with customers and the occasional dog. A lot of that seemed to be padding it out to get in as many gags as possible. Had there been a better story, several could have been left on the cutting room floor.

One other thing, I thought it would have looked better if it was shot totally on film as occasionally happened with LOTSW, but maybe that would be too expensive. Some are shot that way, Hebburn springs to mind. Modern studio shooting can often give a very clean, bright and false look. Probably just my own preference though!

And David Jason on his own isn't necessarily a guarantee of success. His last comedy series effort, The Royal Bodyguard, left a lot to be desired.

Well, this could be a surprise.

"Only Fools And Horses, one of Britain's most loved comedy shows, may return.

Sir David Jason, who played Del Boy in the hit sitcom, has revealed in an interview with The Times that he has been given a new script to read."

It goes on.

According to today's reports, Sullivan's sons Dan and Jim have turned one of their father's ideas into a script treatment which has been passed to David Jason, but he has not yet made a decision on it. Speaking to The Times, Jason said: "I've had a quick look at the treatment and it's very good, but I'm saving the proper read-through until there are no distractions. It's not the sort of thing you can muck about with."

http://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/000001328/only_fools_and_horses_new_episode_in_2014/

Sir David Jason, who played Del Boy in the hit sitcom, has revealed in an interview with The Times that he has been given a new script to read."

It goes on.

According to today's reports, Sullivan's sons Dan and Jim have turned one of their father's ideas into a script treatment which has been passed to David Jason, but he has not yet made a decision on it. Speaking to The Times, Jason said: "I've had a quick look at the treatment and it's very good, but I'm saving the proper read-through until there are no distractions. It's not the sort of thing you can muck about with."

http://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/000001328/only_fools_and_horses_new_episode_in_2014/

Intresting to read. I wonder if all the old team will be in it as well.

I must admit I didn't expect this thread to take off like this. Shows what a popular show Open all Hours was.

It goes on.

Intresting to read. I wonder if all the old team will be in it as well.

Well, at the moment it seems to be a one off idea and that's assuming it gets off the ground. I would have thought Christmas next year if it happens and then like Still Open All Hours there may be talk of a series. It would probably need Nicholas Lyndhurst to be interested as well as I couldn't imagine Del Boy without Rodney.

"Dodgy dealers Del Boy and Rodney Trotter are to return to British TV screens for the first time in more than 10 years, the BBC has confirmed.

The much-loved south Londoners, played by David Jason and Nicholas Lyndhurst, will feature in "a short Only Fools and Horses sketch" for this year's Sport Relief in March, it said.

The show, which ran from 1981-2003, was regularly voted Britain's best sitcom.

It was created by writer John Sullivan, who died aged 64 in 2011.

A BBC spokeswoman said: "There are plans afoot for a short Only Fools and Horses sketch for Sport Relief."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25599046

And now Ad Fab............ I'm all for good comedy but would love to see something different with a new format and new actors. :-\ :(

Back