Still open all hours

I'm not sure what I thought of it. There were some funny moments.
I'll watch it again and see if it grows on me.

Very passable, though a lot crammed in. Perhaps a 50 minute programme would have suited this reunion.

I thought that it was good the cast members were great especialy Mrs Featherstone wow what a kiss she must be 90 !His son was a good reflection of Granville all he needed was a cocoa tin lid on a chain .Mavis looked good still got that smile not sure about her sister she was a bit vinegary maybe moving from Newcastle upset her.Overall there is a series in this show and I hope the BBC commission one as you can laugh all the way through.The shop set had many things in it from the last series the till,and some hair net cards marked County but were was the tin bath?

I loved it, I think because it took me right back. I hope there will be a series as the 30 mins flew by

Very enjoyable and nostalgic. I loved seeing Maggie Ollerenshaw and Johnny Vegas :santahat:

I'm going to have to watch it again without the usual family stuff going on all around. From what I saw I thought that it was ok, funny in places, but nothing stood out that made me think it was special.

Nice to see some left field guest appearances from Johnny Vegas and Mark Williams. David Jason actually came across as quite tentative to me, at times I thought is this really the older Granville? One other thing, Mrs Featherstone seems to have had a vamp transplant. Although she somewhat admired Arkwright in the original I don't recall her being that desperate back them. She didn't really have much time for Granville in the original.

Trouble is that to some degree it will always be measured against what had gone before and you can perhaps tell why originally this was very much a Ronnie Barker show. I'd still give it a series and see if it finds its own way as the characters develop around Granville, but I'm wondering if it will always be in Barker's shadow.

I need to review it, hope the recording worked.

It could be a series - although the romance interest is split with Granville hank-ering after Mavis, I always thought he fancied her, but having sent a message to the wrong woman he is in trouble.

Nice hark backs such as the dog man, the milk float, and so on.

Who was the mother of Leroy - or do we just not know?

I do wonder whether a longer episode was needed to reset the scene - however Arkwright's has moved with the times. Lottery and other things which is why no bath. People still use hair nets but not tin baths (the last time I heard of a house still with no bathroom was in the late 1980s in Leeds), although Granville had certainly taken a risk with Anchovy Paste.

The is a Subtle connection between this show and LOSW,it is not the normal cast or writer I am thinking about,anyone want to guess what it is

One subtle connection is that in both shows hardly anything changes, ie the designs and plots.

But that's not the connection you had in mind though, is it?

I really enjoyed it and yes it did need longer for folk who have either not seen the show or not watched it for a long time,I did feel the production/direction was a bit weak,there seemed to be slight pauses as if it was not apparent what should happen next

On a different note I see ITV are bringing back Birds of a Feather which was a BBC comedy for some years

It seemed to win the ratings war. Should be enough to give it a series.

"The one-off Christmas special of 'Still Open All Hours' is winning the festive ratings battle, beating the audience figures of both 'Doctor Who' and 'Mrs Brown's Boys'.

It drew in an audience of 9.43 million on Boxing Day, just beating the 'Mrs Brown's Boys' festive instalment, which scored 9.4 million on Christmas Day."

http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/open-all-hours-christmas-special-wins-ratings-battle-115730780.html

The is a Subtle connection between this show and LOSW,it is not the normal cast or writer I am thinking about,anyone want to guess what it is

Both involve shop fronts that needed to be changed

Both have Lynda Baron (she was Lily bless 'er in SW)
Both have had Maggie Ollerenshaw (commandant's companion in Flag and Snags)
both feature bicycles that people fall off
both have men in warehouse coats - Arkwright and Granville in brown and Sid in white

There must be more ....

:santawink: :santawink: :santawink:

Both involve shop fronts that needed to be changed

Both have Lynda Baron (she was Lily bless 'er in SW)
Both have had Maggie Ollerenshaw (commandant's companion in Flag and Snags)
both feature bicycles that people fall off
both have men in warehouse coats - Arkwright and Granville in brown and Sid in white

There must be more ....

:santawink: :santawink: :santawink:

Nice try Rod but it is none of those

Both feature groin jokes?

Both are best suited to the 70s and 80s?

Both have this so-called 'gentle comedy' term which is being over-used now with all today's un-gentle comedy?

The Arkwright and Auntie Wainwright similarity?

Back