Pets

C

Chuffer Enwright

According to Nora, "if it's got fur or feathers" it's supposed to be relaxing, so I just wondered which pets, if any, members of the site have?
I've got a Dog, a Dobermann called Zeus, he is 4, daft as a brush, but has been wonderful to me over the last few months. He was my eyes when I didn't have sight and he guarded me brilliantly. He knew something was wrong, but didn't know what and has been the best Dog a fella could ask for. Her's still playful and a bit puppyish at times, but he is marvellous.
I've also got a Rabbit called Skipper and I think the Dog is actually frightened of it!

We have had our share of pets in the past and sometime I think it would be nice to have another dog,but the rules on the park where I live do not allow for pets,I suppose it adds to the peace and quiet of the place with no dogs barking,they also do not allow children to reside,they can visit for a short time

There is plenty of wildlife here,every night around 6pm we get swans fly over from the local river to their night time resting hole which I am told is on the waters near a local power station,I guess it is warmer for them at night

That's a shame Terry, but I guess you can see why Dogs aren't allowed, they aren't for everybody. They are rewarding, but can be a tie and a nuisance to others. I'm quite lucky here where I live now, there are lots of lovely walks in the countryside in every direction to take him out.
He is the best alarm clock in the world aswell! He sleeps upstairs with me, each morning he does a big yawn, gets up, looks at me, goes to the door, walks on the landing, comes back, looks at me again and if I dont move, he climbs up, gives me a nudge with his big nose and stands on the bed looking at me! I say "Morning Boy, do you want to go out?" he sort of nods at me, I get up, he bounds downstairs and runs around the garden for a bit, I bring his basket down and then he curls up by the fire until I feed him or take him out.
He is brilliant and gives me so much pleasure. Costs me a fortune mind, he eats me out of house and home! I have to live off reduced fruit and veg from ASDA up the road while he eats more than I do!

Pets? Oh dear, lol, I´ll have some people wondering now! There is a cat, black with white whiskers, paws and chest, called Miezi (like Mitzi in English), there is a turtle, but there are also some fire-bellied toads and some axolotls. That makes 3 aquariums all in all. Axolotls, I doubt anyone has ever heard of them, they are newts and very cute, worth to google a picture. I´ve always been an amphibian lover, even when I was only about 3 years old. I have also kept guinea pigs and hamsters before, but never had a dog or birds.
I live in a rural neighbourhood with lots of pets and in summer I can hear the sheep nearby on the meadows.

Lots of pets ****! You should see my Dog playing with the Rabbit, it really is quite amusing! He is a big creature, but very daft! When I feed him in the back garden and the Rabbit is out, he stands and looks....then the Rabbit hops over to his bowl for a sniff and he flicks the Bunny over with his nose....Skipper comes back for another sniff and he stands there looking quite perplexed and then runs away and watches!
He is still mesmerised by the lights on the fire and still guards the Oven when the light is on and something is cooking! My Kitchen is only small, so I have to say "Oi, move you!" and he bounds out into the Dining room and stands by the door looking at it! The silly creature!

LOL, Chuff, your dog sounds really funny! The funniest thing my cat does is go and walk past the sunbathing turtle without noticing it, the turtle gets startled by the cat walking by, jumps into the water with a splash, and then the cat gets startled by the splash and jumps in the other direction.

We lost our Springer on the 5th December a month after her 12th birthday.We now have 3 Bichon Frise pups.Nipper,Falcor and Ollie.We also have a Guinea Pig,a Hamster and 4 Bearded Dragons.
I can't imagine life without them

LOL, Chuff, your dog sounds really funny! The funniest thing my cat does is go and walk past the sunbathing turtle without noticing it, the turtle gets startled by the cat walking by, jumps into the water with a splash, and then the cat gets startled by the splash and jumps in the other direction.

Awww, that's very cute!

We lost our Springer on the 5th December a month after her 12th birthday.We now have 3 Bichon Frise pups.Nipper,Falcor and Ollie.We also have a Guinea Pig,a Hamster and 4 Bearded Dragons.
I can't imagine life without them

I'm sorry for your loss George, losing a pet is awful. I couldn't imagine life without my lad. Cool names on your pups though.

I´m glad pets can cheer us all so much up, I also couldn´t imagine living without them. It´s even a confirmed fact that they bring down the blood pressure and relax their owners, so they are actually like a medicine.

Always had cats when I was growing up and carried on when I was married but stopped it when some local swine put poison down for rats and we lost two(we always said it was the local cats he was after but could not prove it!!) Anyway we carried on and young Dick moved into his sisters annexe and took his cat to live there alongside his sisters Stafford terrier. When we visited it was always amusing to see the cat on the Staffy's back , the dog with his paws over his eyes and the cat chewing his ear!! This carried on for years and never once did the dog retaliate!! ;D

I´m glad pets can cheer us all so much up, I also couldn´t imagine living without them. It´s even a confirmed fact that they bring down the blood pressure and relax their owners, so they are actually like a medicine.

They are very therapeutic ****, they give so much pleasure. There isn't a day that goes bye that I don't laugh at something that the Dog or the Rabbit does. Even feeding them is a pleasure. To hear the Dog splish sploshing in his bowl after a walk and watching the Rabbit nibble away.
We go and feed the Horses regularly, there is an Equestrian centre just up the road and Zeus sits as good as Gold watching them and when I feed them.

This is a sad story to tell, but it helps when I talk about it. The last dog I had was 36 years ago when I was about to marry. I always loved animals but my wife never had pets although she didn't mind them. But she was terrified of dogs having once had a bad experience.

My dog was called Peter, he was a black medium poodle. He was like a brother to me not just a pet. We understood each other and did what ever he wanted when my parents weren't home. We were inseperable. Then I met my future wife and odf course he noticed that. He didn't like when she came to our home. A year later we set a wedding day and she spent more time with muy family. Peter got very moody and cutting down on his meals and didn't wait for me beside the door when I came home from work. He started to ignore me. It killed me more then him I think. He was getting worse. We were strangers. Then the sad moment came. He was lying on the ground, very weak. I sat near him and at that moment he looked up at me wagged his tail and closed his eyes. Peter left me. Could never be replaced.

This is a really sad story :'(! I was like that with my first cat, she came from a pet asylum and it took her a year until she was calm enough to bear sitting on my lap or so, very anxious and aggressive until she began to trust me very much. I got her when I was 10 and when I got my first boyfriend 9 or 10 years later, she did what she never did, she sensed that I trusted him and sat on his lap as well!!! In all the years she never came anywhere near anyone except me and my father, seldom my mother also, but never anybody else. But with my boyfriend she did. So this is just the opposite of what happened to you. When she died a few years ago, I was so sad I thought I´d never have a cat again, and I wouldn´t have had one had the neighbours not begged me to take one of theirs when they were moving house. But we are also getting close now and I´m glad about that.

I could never have another dog after that. But in the past 5 years we had a Cocktail. Don't laugh but we say she is the daughter we never had. She has a way of controling us. I had to make some chnages to her freedom from the cage. I use to sit on my arnchair with a mug of tea and maybe a biscuit or two. She would notice and fly to me and reach her bill in my mug and sip the tea and then bite the biscuit. Our son use to get mad at me and say that was not good for her. I would try to push the mug away and she would keep reaching. So now she is only out when no food is present. We love her so much..

He was like a brother to me. He was never allowed in the bedrooms but when my parents went out to work he wouild dash up and come near me. He could sense when they were coming as he would dash down almost tripping. I can never forget him..

We have a guinea pig called Linny. We only got this because my youngest daughter loves the cartoon Wonder Pets and the guinea pig in the show is called.........Linny. Mind you i've got to look after the dam thing though.

You are not alone in the world, if that makes you feel any better. When our son was young he would come home with many pets from his school mates. The problem was that these pets were only his for a day or two then they became ours to clean and feed etc. Guinea pigs live up to 5 years..

Back