May 2014 Ask Beth

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks to George for all his answers in April, this month is the turn of Beth one of our oversea's members,so remember the time difference in her being able to reply to your questions plus the fact she has not seen all the episodes yet

question #1

Good morning Beth and congrats on being the first American to answer the questions on the pole:35:

This seems to be the most common question, and I know this already:16::16:, this is for the winos that don't know.

How did you happen to come across LOTSW? Also, how many of the episodes have you seen?

Have a great day!

Hi Beth

If you had the chance to marry any of the men in the series who would it be and why

Hi Brenda! I actually came across LOTSW when staying at my mom's on the weekends during my divorce. I had been married for 21 years and it was such a difficult time. The kids and I would stay with my mom on the weekends. I think the first episode was "Robin Hood's Birthday". I fell in love with the show and watched it with her on the weekends. I started looking forward to them because it was the only show that would help me forget. I think LOTSW kept me from drinking! ;)

In regards to episodes I haven't seen, I went to George's episode list and there are quite a few I have missed. I don't have DVD's so I count on PBS to bring them at least once or twice a week and I will tape them. I need to quit being so cheap. :)

Hi Pearl! This may sound strange but I wouldn't want to play any of the ladies. I suppose because they were always angry. :) I would have be someone that was more carefree. I suppose it would be Wesley. His character had such a passion for motors, but he had no skills. The funniest part of Wesley is that he is not aware that he is no good at it. Everything is just lovely. :)

LOL Terry you little stinker. Ok, this one is too funny.

I first thought of Cleggy but I would talk too much for him.
Foggy is too bossy and Compo would be too aggressive. ha ha

I would probably pick Alvin and Billy. Alvin is the closest one to being more romantic. ;)
I would also pick Billy because he loved the great outdoors.

Since I can't be a bigamist I would date both and decide which one could put up with me the best. I am a bit daft you know. ;)

Hi Darren!

I don't think the show would be the same without Cleggy. He had the best one liners. I loved the way he would speak on something that didn't relate to the conversation at all. Then honestly, he is a great actor. No one could have carried his lines like Peter did. He has great facial expressions which could make the situation even more hilarious. He just made the show what it was.

I really have three favorites.

Wesley is one of my favorites characters for what I said before. It is that belief in himself that no one else has. He just loves motors and it doesn't matter what others think. Wesley makes me laugh just as much as Billy did. Billy was a great third person I thought. He made me laugh more than the other two.

I didn't answer that well. I just can't pick one Darren. :)

Beth, When you get a chance to head to Holmfirth, where is going to be the first "trio hangout" will you visit?

Hi Darin, I don't recall the name of the pub, but it was used several times in different episodes. It was used in "The Mysterious Feet of Nora Batty" (my favorite episode so far) and the "Heavily Reinforced Bottom". It had a beautiful fireplace in it and it just looked so cozy.

I am thinking it was the White Horse but I just can't recall. Help me out you guys. :)

Hi John, I have seen probably half of the episodes from every series now with the exception of series one and two. ;)

I wasn't fond of those series mostly because I couldn't follow them very well. It seemed they spoke a lot faster. I waited until PBS moved on to the first episode of Foggy to start watching again.

Last edited:
... series one and two. I wasn't fond of those series mostly because I couldn't follow them very well. It seemed they spoke a lot faster and I just couldn't follow them.

I didn't begin to understand the dialog until series 3, either, partly because closed captions were added starting with that series. After I bought the pocket-sized paperback of the series 1 and 2 scripts (including the pilot) it all became clear. My copy came from an Amazon merchant. There are still a few left there, as well as on AbeBooks and Alibris.

Marianna

Hi Dick. This is a good question because I love to analyze everything.

The people here on this forum remind me a lot of LOTSW. We all have different likes and dislikes, but we found something that we all have in common. Many of us have learned to care about each other with our faults. I sure need this group; you have all become like my family.

I think LOTSW teaches us a bit of what a family is all about. :)

Beth, you mentioned you would not want to be like one of the ladies because they are so angry. Who of the angry women in the coffee circle, is your favorite?

A third man question:
Minus Blamaire, You have Foggy, Seymour, Foggy second time, Truly,Billy and I don't know the others. Do you have an order of favorites?

I think these questions are so hard, because we all love the show so much it is hard to put one first. :16:

Back