May 2014 Ask Beth

Don't get me wrong I loved the women in the show. It wouldn't be the same without them trying to keep them in line. If the men didn't get run off, the show wouldn't be half as funny. :)

I liked Edie the most. I thought she was an excellent actress.

I can relate to Edie's bad driving episodes; not to that extreme but let's put it this way. When my mom is in the passenger seat with me, she is always "pushing the brakes"and turning her head so as not to see us "crash". I told her I haven't had a crash in 5 years. It never seems to give her comfort. Anyway, back to Edie.

I loved watching Edie in the episode "The Heavily Reinforced Bottom". The part where she was giving Barry a haircut and in "Dancing Feet" seeing Wesley's car in fertilizer. I also loved the way she would be yelling at Wesley until she would see a neighbor out and then change her tone immediately.

She was just an excellent actress.

Brenda in your question about my favorite third man is a bit difficult.

I definitely liked the "first" foggy best.
2nd - Truly
3rd - 2nd foggy
4th - Billy
5th - Seymour

This was a bit difficult because Foggy was the classic third man but I believe Foggy just wasn't up to the part in the later years because of his illness. I thought Truly though stepped in and did an excellent job filling in which it was suppose to be only temporary.

Billy was one of my favorite characters. He just helped bring the show back together with Truly. It may be because I started watching the show when Truly and Billy were already part of the trio.

seeing your last question was about the third men, I was wondering what your view is on the Hobbo era Beth?

Oh thanks Darin, I forgot about Hobbo.
He would be last. I am sure he is a good actor but I didn't see him fit into the show as well. He just didn't have his own identity somehow.

Though I did enjoy seeing him dress up like a hippie to prove to "Nellie" (his long lost mother) that he was a look a like to her husband (his long lost father).

Oh thanks Darin, I forgot about Hobbo.
He would be last. I am sure he is a good actor but I didn't see him fit into the show as well. He just didn't have his own identity somehow.

Though I did enjoy seeing him dress up like a hippie to prove to "Nellie" (his long lost mother) that he was a look a like to her husband (his long lost father).

fair enough Beth, I know that he probably is the marmite of the show and just so you know for future its Darren not Darin, that's the other member

Could you see yourself in years to come, being in a group of ladies and having coffee mornings ?:coffee::wink::wink:

If it is a group like LOTSW, I would be the "Glenda" in the group. Trying not to be negative and sometimes nieve caused by a strict background.

Exactly. Mom is more nieve than I. I learned most things from my mom (I was pretty shy). So my view of my world ended at home. Then I married someone who was also conservative. No chance of .....never mind. ....as John said I'll drink my coffee. ;)

so what are your other interests in life apart from Last of the Summer Wine, what other tv shows do you like? what hobbies do you have? do you like exercising and have a favourite type of exercise? (gym, tennis, swimming etc) have you a job? if so what do you do? you say you have been married, does that mean you have children? and what are your likes and dislikes in life?

Beth ,
Since your upbringing was somewhat sheltered like mine, would you
like to consider yourself a spontaneous person, or someone that likes to plan things out? I know we like to have structure in parts of our lives, but as far as having fun are you spontaneous?:13: does that make since?

In regards to interests in TV shows and movies, I love the Andy Griffith shows when Don Knott's was in it. I enjoy the old mystery shows like Columbo and Perry Mason. I also watch Everybody loves Raymond. I love old movies. I love the Frank Capra films as well.

I love playing Ping Pong. I played against a lot of guys in my college days and became pretty good at it. I love to swim and play tennis but haven't done much of that lately. I do love to sketch. I am not that good but it relaxes me.

I work for the State of Indiana. I must say I lost a good job three years ago and couldn't find work for a year after that. It caused me to jump at the first job offered. Jobs are not easy to come by so I am grateful for just having a job.

I went through a divorce 5 years ago. We were married 21 years. It was difficult but I have two beautiful girls. One goes to Purdue University and the other is in middle school.

Hi Brenda. I have much more fun when things are not planned. I am much more spontaneous person than a structured person. I believe too much planning can spoil everything. I have so many adventures in my life that were caused by being spontaneous. To me they were the most treasured memories I have. My great aunt Loretta Bailey-Welch taught me that. She had an adventerious spirit as well.

Did they have Ping Pong tables in the Rec area at Cumberland? I cannot remember! I remember video games, maybe some couches and tv. Many moons ago!

I found the 84 yearbook!!!

I would like to explain, Beth and I attended the same college in southern Kentucky. She there from 82-85 i believe, and me there from 83-85. I lived on campus both years and I believe she commuted the year i showed up. In our conversations on here is where we found each other! It goes to show you it is a small world.

i was wondering beth apart from summer wine actors who are you favourite and least favourite celebrities? whether there on tv, sportsmen or women or the reality stars. remember that if some are from America then some of us brits might not have heard of some of them so a little bit of who they are might be needed with this answer

Did they have Ping Pong tables in the Rec area at Cumberland? I cannot remember! I remember video games, maybe some couches and tv. Many moons ago!

I found the 84 yearbook!!!

I would like to explain, Beth and I attended the same college in southern Kentucky. She there from 82-85 i believe, and me there from 83-85. I lived on campus both years and I believe she commuted the year i showed up. In our conversations on here is where we found each other! It goes to show you i wet is a small world.

Yes Brenda, it was close to the door as you came in near the video games. haha. The girls did not want to play. They just watched. I did learn one thing there. Boys don't like to lose. ;)

i was wondering beth apart from summer wine actors who are you favourite and least favourite celebrities? whether there on tv, sportsmen or women or the reality stars. remember that if some are from America then some of us brits might not have heard of some of them so a little bit of who they are might be needed with this answer
I am completely tired of hearing about the Kardashian's. They are just pretty and rich. I also never could adjust to all the reality shows.

My favorite actor from the old movies is a tie between Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart and Bettie Davis. I really don't have a current favorite actor but I do love Alan Alda and Robert Downey Jr. and Nicole Kidman.

Back