Gentle Comedies

Don't know if anyone spotted that Channel 5 did a documentary,in the mode of the ones they did for LOTSW , Allo Allo , KUA etc, for the brilliant and often mentioned on here Open All Hours . I just caught the end but recorded it on plus 1 . It is on my5 catch up service if anyone missed it and wanted to watch . What I saw was great, they had Sir David Jason and Maggie Ollerenshaw plus others talking about the show and clips of our Nora as Mrs Blewett.

Saw the article Cleese short of cash maybe all those expensive ex wives to pay who knows you'd hope he wouldn't even consider it as he has resisted doing this many times . Basil was all physical comedy, no disrespect but at 83 would he ever be able to achieve that level of physical comedy that provided so much of the humour.

I fear it will be bobbins, I’ve not seen a reboot of an old classic comedy that is any good. I’ll settle for the original 12 episodes.
I’ve been rewatching Some Mothers.. on Drama and it’s hilarious but again it’s of it’s time.

I fear it will be bobbins, I’ve not seen a reboot of an old classic comedy that is any good. I’ll settle for the original 12 episodes.
I’ve been rewatching Some Mothers.. on Drama and it’s hilarious but again it’s of it’s time.
I hope they go with a different name.

I heard this and I really do think this should have been left in the past. I'm not sure that he needs the money but I have read other Python members saying he would always do anything for enough money.

I was thinking who the cast left were, there's probably only Connie Booth who would be able to join him, but Cleese and her had a very acrimonious separation so that's unlikely. I also think Prunella Scales is too poorly with dementia.

I fear this will be like the relaunch of To The Manor Born which was frankly just silly and made little sense. We shall see.....

I heard this and I really do think this should have been left in the past. I'm not sure that he needs the money but I have read other Python members saying he would always do anything for enough money.

I was thinking who the cast left were, there's probably only Connie Booth who would be able to join him, but Cleese and her had a very acrimonious separation so that's unlikely. I also think Prunella Scales is too poorly with dementia.

I fear this will be like the relaunch of To The Manor Born which was frankly just silly and made little sense. We shall see.....
It has been published he is working with his real life daughter

What about French Fields :D ?

Bringing back Basil Fawlty??

No. No, no, no, no.

It's 40 years too late.

It wouldn't be the same.

We have 12 outstandingly excellent programmes which are untouchable. Never mess with the classics.

It's sounds like it will be set a different hotel - a boutique hotel, often found in fashionable urban areas, so it sounds like we won't see the old hotel (the real-life exterior was destroyed many decades ago in any case).

Sounds like John Cleese needs the money.

What he SHOULD have done was either brought back his similar character from the film Clockwise.

Or just made a series of short TV commercials for some product or another with the Fawlty character or simolar.

What about French Fields :D ?

I do like both Fresh and French Fields ! Agree that it was a continuation of the first.

Thought I read or saw Cleese say in an interview long ago that he only wanted to do a limited number of episodes for Fawlty Towers. So that it would end while the show was still good and not ran past it's 'sell by date'. At least words similar to that.

Or to have 'jumped the shark' as a term used here in the States some time ago. A reference to the show Happy Days, set in the 50's and 60's, that ran in the 70's and 80's. It got old in the tooth about the time when one of the characters (Fonzie) did a stunt of jumping a shark with his motorcycle. After that the show went down hill quickly.

I do like both Fresh and French Fields ! Agree that it was a continuation of the first.

Thought I read or saw Cleese say in an interview long ago that he only wanted to do a limited number of episodes for Fawlty Towers. So that it would end while the show was still good and not ran past it's 'sell by date'. At least words similar to that.

Or to have 'jumped the shark' as a term used here in the States some time ago. A reference to the show Happy Days, set in the 50's and 60's, that ran in the 70's and 80's. It got old in the tooth about the time when one of the characters (Fonzie) did a stunt of jumping a shark with his motorcycle. After that the show went down hill quickly.
Cleese said only a few years ago he wouldn't bring the character back.

The first series of Happy Days was good, and the film 'American Graffiti', of which there are many similarities, was brilliant.

I could be wrong, but I think that he was waterskiing in an arena and did a stunt going up a ramp, hence jumping a shark. As a note, in real life he did not enjoy motorcycles.

I could be wrong, but I think that he was waterskiing in an arena and did a stunt going up a ramp, hence jumping a shark. As a note, in real life he did not enjoy motorcycles.
Yes, thank you on that for the correction. As you can tell it had been a while since I had seen the episode, when it aired on TV back in the day.

Back