Gentle Comedies

Actually, I would not recommend it. I liked it at the time but Billy Liar the TV series has not aged well. His father, played by George A. Cooper, threatening the beat the living daylights out of Billy every episode of Series One is tedious - and disturbing.

It was mentioned earlier in this post, but Oh Dr Beeching is next on my watch list a heart warming gentle comedy with our very own Smiler. It's also pretty easy to find online too.....

Hi De Hi cast redeployed David Croft always rewarded people who he liked as actors/actresses by adding them to the cast list for subsequent shows .

It was mentioned earlier in this post, but Oh Dr Beeching is next on my watch list a heart warming gentle comedy with our very own Smiler. It's also pretty easy to find online too.....
I found 'Oh Doctor Beeching' on Dailymotion. I've seen S1E1 and S1E4 so far, I've enjoyed them and look forward to viewing more. It has everything, poofer trains, incompetence, trickey situations, thunder mugs, British bicycles (with full chaincases) and our very own Smiler! It is all there!

I found 'Oh Doctor Beeching' on Dailymotion. I've seen S1E1 and S1E4 so far, I've enjoyed them and look forward to viewing more. It has everything, poofer trains, incompetence, trickey situations, thunder mugs, British bicycles (with full chaincases) and our very own Smiler! It is all there!
It was filmed not too far from me at a place called Arley on The Severn Valley Railway, it is absolutely idyllic. If you ever visit the UK I strongly recommend you take time to visit.

I posted on another thread but I wrote to SVR and asked if they retained any memories of Oh Doctor Beeching . At the station there were some commemorative photos on display at the time of their reply . If you are ever up that way Barry could you please check if they are still there , thank you in advance for your help. For everyone else here are a few

mr happy.jpg

hi de hi.jpg

cast 1.jpg

I posted on another thread but I wrote to SVR and asked if they retained any memories of Oh Doctor Beeching . At the station there were some commemorative photos on display at the time of their reply . If you are ever up that way Barry could you please check if they are still there , thank you in advance for your help. For everyone else here are a few

View attachment 6626

View attachment 6627

View attachment 6628
I was there about a month ago I can't be 100% sure but I don't think they're still there - I'm sure I would've remembered. I remember asking the station staff about Oh Dr Beeching and they reeled off a load of other programmes this station had been used in as well. So clearly Oh Dr Beeching is just one of many. Have you visited before CC? I can see why it's such a popular filming location, it's so authentic. Even the gardens at the station are beautifully manicured and there is old fashioned luggage cases dotted around. A real time warp which I'll be going back to very soon....

Have you visited before CC?

Sadly I haven't but loved the show so I was driven to find out more about the station and film locations like I do for many shows . Having travelled on the North York Moors and Bolton and Embassy railways I would like to so added to an ever increasing bucket list which also includes the West Somerset railway and specifically the Blue Anchor and Crowcombe Heathfield stations which look picture perfect and could easily be used for a show , perhaps it has !! and so opens another quest for information :)

Back