Gentle Comedies

Dont know if this one was mentioned, but on the youtube spiral - another Barker special.. Going Straight.. Only few episodes, on Youtube and entertaining.. Not quite as good as Porridge but I liked it.

A single series of six episodes was made and aired across 1978, attracting an audience of over 15 million viewers and winning a BAFTA award in March 1979. Plans for further episodes were shelved after the premature death of Beckinsale in 1979.

I’ll also chime in with a strong vote for
Are you being served
And I am unanimous with that

You might also like
The strange world of gurney slade
Very old and surreal

On this side of the dying pond
There’s “Newhart” which is approximately as cozy and non confrontational as last of the summer wine

From your side of the pond aside from Cheers, Frasier and Mash [sounds like an obscure Music Hall act] I really used to like Rhoda with the great Valerie Harper and her wonderful Mum in the show played by Nancy Walker . I used to watch Newhart many moons ago and the comedy was very slick but for utter stupidity that shouldn't work but did I watched , perhaps after too many sherbets , WKRP in Cincinnati .

Look north of us for my comedy tag-team along with LotSW, a Canadian Show called Corner Gas. It had 6 seasons, a reunion movie and an animated reboot. Clever writing, great cast and family friendly funny. There is a character on there, Hank, who is sorta like Buster Brady from MBB, but the show doesn't have language outside of the main character's curmudgeonly father occasionally calling someone "Jackass". They all work so well together it's one of the few shows where I don't find myself wishing they'd get away from some characters back to others, and over the course of the series every character had at least one one-on-one story line with each of the others.

Look north of us for my comedy tag-team along with LotSW, a Canadian Show called Corner Gas. It had 6 seasons, a reunion movie and an animated reboot. Clever writing, great cast and family friendly funny. There is a character on there, Hank, who is sorta like Buster Brady from MBB, but the show doesn't have language outside of the main character's curmudgeonly father occasionally calling someone "Jackass". They all work so well together it's one of the few shows where I don't find myself wishing they'd get away from some characters back to others, and over the course of the series every character had at least one one-on-one story line with each of the others.
I loved Corner Gas, it has hints of LOSW, a cafe, inept police and strong women

I know there are a few Keeping Up Appearances fans on here and Channel 5 did one of their tribute documentaries[ they did for LOTSW, Hi De Hi , Allo Allo and others ] on KUA which was broadcast last night. I think it should be on catchup but if not they tend to repeat it . I imagine you caught it Barry but thought i'd post this in case you and others missed it especially as it clashed with the Tony Hancock documentary and two episodes of Hancock broadcast on Gold.

Thanks you @captain clutterbuck yes I recorded it and have just watched it, absolutely brilliant bit of television. I'm amazed Pat Routledge agreed to be interviewed for it.

Interesting they didn't include the fact that Harold Snoad & Roy Clarke despised one another and they had to employ a script editor to keep the peace as Snoad would alter Clarkes scripts.

I’m just happy Early Doors is being shown again. Two episodes every Saturday.View attachment 5763

So am I even though I have the DVD somewhere they are so beautifully crafted and they show a real community in the pub especially the episode with the football card when it comes out why Ken is doing it plus all the banter between them . I just think its wonderfully observed and up there with many of our finest comedies ever.

So am I even though I have the DVD somewhere they are so beautifully crafted and they show a real community in the pub especially the episode with the football card when it comes out why Ken is doing it plus all the banter between them . I just think its wonderfully observed and up there with many of our finest comedies ever.
..and the WC who won the football card was no other than Summer Wine actor Johnny Leeze.

For those who know their football, the scene where they don't want the Iain Dowie signed photo is absolutely hilarious :p
:p:p

Back