Does any member recall

Barry,

With MakeMKV ripping the 32 series of 58 discs with each disc taking maybe a wild guess of 5 to 10 minutes a piece. I don't remember, can rip a disc or two as tests to give you a better time idea if you want.

So, 58 discs x 5 minutes = 290 minutes / 60 min per hour == > 4.8 hours plus....
Not counting the time to make and name a folder per series. Then going through and numbering & naming each episode..

My LotSW folder including the Vintage Specials of 1976, 1977 and 1995 comes to about 389 GB.

Want me to email the folder to ya? HaHa!! :rolling:

I did not do them all in one setting by the way.

Terry with the NAS idea is spot on. Putting your media on a home server and then not having to mess with the DVD's much after is super nice.

Last edited:
Thanks @maltrab really appreciate that. I did have my entire music collection on a NAS drive, took me months of work to upload my CD collection. I'm guessing uploading and ripping the entire 295 episodes from DVD would take a long while?
It is not a bad job once you get into it, using MKV is about 5 minutes per 30 min episode, mine with extras and specials is just over 400gb in size, all my TV and film collection is currently around 24TB, which has taken some time to collect

Hi maltrab,

are you sure you are not confusing it with the scene outdoors where the waitress is clearing the tables of our trio and Compo refers to her as 'Duchess'?

If not, I have the original VHS release of this story from 1984 (which, Ironically, I have never watched -- for some reason) and will give it a look, just to see if there is anything on there that differs from the latter releases.
Thanks Stephen, it would be nice to know if I am going crackers or not

Terry with the NAS idea is spot on. Putting your media on a home server and then not having to mess with the DVD's much after is super nice.
Many thanks for this Rick, I really appreciate your time and insight too. From what I recall when I did this with my CD collection there was a search engine which automatically downloaded the tracks and album covers. I realise this won't work for DVD's, TBH I don't really watch a lot of TV or films so don't really have too many DVD's. But with the great tips you and Terry have given me, I will look into doing this one rainy afternoon when I don't have too many work commitments! :)

Glad to help, Barry. Terry is the one with my hero NAS setup! I just use a spare computer with a few large, several TB hard drives that I have access to from my main computer and TV or projector for playback.

I remember a program like you described for sorting and naming CD music. They were nice, think I used something like that too back in the day. Sadly, I do not think there is anything like that for DVD's, with Blu-ray and streaming being the norm currently.

Personal preference as to whether put the files all in one show folder or separate them per series. If a show has just a few series I may put the episodes all in their own show folder. Then I label like 's1-e1 episode title'. Larger series I find it nice to have the year in the folder label as well, like s1 - 1973, s2 - 1975... Normally I rename episodes from the previous disc while the current one is ripping. Also may even watch an episode at the same time, multi-tasking for the win! :21:

Is great to be able to easily find an episode. Say I want to watch Wheelies but don't remember what series or episode it is. Click on the LotSW main folder and type 'Wheelies' in search and it appears in s14 - 1992 as 9 - Wheelies. Click to watch. :)

Easy to start small with a few hundred GB hard drive and put some of your favorite shows or movies on it. Can even use an external hard drive to plug into your current computer maybe connect to TV. Expand in time as needed.

Thanks Stephen, it would be nice to know if I am going crackers or not
Well I've looked and it doesn't seem to be on the 1984 VHS version, unfortunately. I wouldn't worry about going crackers, though, as I have similar misremembered experiences. I am absolutely certain there was a scene near the end of Carry on Henry, where Sid James looks into the baby's cot and sees Charles Hawtrey's face staring back at him. Not one person remembers that apart from me. I am going equally crackers. Lol

Your mention of Sid James has me smiling because I am watching Bless This House for the first time. Part way through series 2 and really liking it. :)

Terry, I am sorry no one has been able to point you to a video of what you are seeking. Would have been nice to of seen some new to me content for LotSW.

Last edited:
Well I've looked and it doesn't seem to be on the 1984 VHS version, unfortunately. I wouldn't worry about going crackers, though, as I have similar misremembered experiences. I am absolutely certain there was a scene near the end of Carry on Henry, where Sid James looks into the baby's cot and sees Charles Hawtrey's face staring back at him. Not one person remembers that apart from me. I am going equally crackers. Lol

I think they intended to use Phil Silvers' face as the baby at the end of Carry On Follow That Camel.

Talking of edited scenes, I saw a photo from Carry On At Your Convenience which appears to be Sid James getting in late at night to an angry looking Hattie Jacques, obviously returning from the works trip to Brighton. (Which probably explains Hattie's knowing comments when she begins work at the factory.)

Last edited:
Your mention of Sid James has me smiling because I am watching Bless This House for the first time. Part way through series 2 and really liking it. :)

Terry, I am sorry no one has been able to point you to a video of what you are seeking. Would have been nice to of seen some new to me content for LotSW.
I rather enjoy the the T.V. spin-off movie of that, RickAns. :)

Thanks on the reminder, Stephen. I am almost done with series two and I think the movie was between that and series three going by the year. I will seek the movie out next. Watching on Daily motion when I have the chance.

Thanks on the reminder, Stephen. I am almost done with series two and I think the movie was between that and series three going by the year. I will seek the movie out next. Watching on Daily motion when I have the chance.
If I remember correctly, in the movie Peter Butterworth took the role of his friendly neighbour and Robin Askwith played Sid's son. Lots of fun though, and Sid is as good as ever. :)

I also would have thought it was from the visit to the stately home. Editing, especially of older shows, happens all the time. I once met Grace Lee Whitney at a Star Trek convention. In her talk she gave she referenced a particular episode and when I went up to meet her, I told her that, having lived in and watched Str Trek in three different states, the scene she was talking about had been edited out in two of them. (I think it was Turnabout Intruder where Kirk attacks Whitney's Character Rand, and clearly some stations felt it was unsuitable) she admitted she wondered why some didn't seem to remember the scene. They had never gotten to see it. It really left parts of the rest of the episode unexplained as well. Watching any movie that you originally saw at the theatre edited for commercial TV can drive you nuts. The people doing the editing have no concept of continuity.

It must be really challenging, as these programmes are given exact time slots to the second by the TV Channel. So the writers don't know how fast dialogue will be spoken and how long the other scenes will last. I expect Roy Clarke wrote much longer scripts for each episode which were truncated at a later stage. I'm not sure who would have made this call though, perhaps Alan Bell?

It must be really challenging, as these programmes are given exact time slots to the second by the TV Channel. So the writers don't know how fast dialogue will be spoken and how long the other scenes will last. I expect Roy Clarke wrote much longer scripts for each episode which were truncated at a later stage. I'm not sure who would have made this call though, perhaps Alan Bell?
Roy Clarke even had to write additional dialogue for some episodes that ran under time ... usually Ivy and Nora in the café, which would explain why some of their conversations had nothing to do with the plot!

I saw several sections being filmed that were either much shorter or missing when shown

Back