Does any member recall

also if you recall they've shaded the nude calendar on the wall of the barbers in the 1st episode on uktv lol
Ridiculous - it's not as though as you actually SEE anything.

And yet we have to put up with more and more bad language on newer programmes. Swearing for swearing's sake.

Nasty swear words - sometimes a minute or two after the 9pm watershed.

I would feel far more happier in front of family seeing a glimpse of a calender photograph of some some nude model in the background of a scene, rather than the full blown, and unnecessary, four letter words (the worst ones at that) littering programmes which add nothing to the story, and turn a programme which essentially the whole family could generally watch, but now makes it uncomfortable viewing.

No commercials on BBC programmes :).
Thanks on the reminder, wstol. I've heard that and kinda realized afterwards that is why the U.K. has a TV license fee. As in The Young Ones with Vyvyan eating the TV because they had not paid the fee when the TV Detector guy shows up. 'We know you got a TV, we detected it!' :rolling:

But I realized recently that a lot of the older British shows I watch have a Part 1 and Part 2 to them. Like Rising Damp, Bless This House, I unconsciously thought that was for a commercial break. If no commercials during the shows then why does / did British TV do that?

Not singling you out wstol, asking generally for anyone who knows.

:rolling:

But I realized recently that a lot of the older British shows I watch have a Part 1 and Part 2 to them. Like Rising Damp, Bless This House, I unconsciously thought that was for a commercial break. If no commercials during the shows then why does / did British TV do that?
Rising Damp & Bless This House were both ITV comedies Rick which is a commercial channel in the UK so you were correct in assuming this was for a commercial break. Only the BBC doesn't have adverts as it's funded by licence payer.

I appreciate this is a contentious view, but the vast majority of comedies regarded as the best in the UK are from the BBC. My view on that is most run for typically 1/2 hour without a break where as ITV comedies are shorter to accomodate the ad break, which also breaks the flow of the programme.

Ridiculous - it's not as though as you actually SEE anything.

And yet we have to put up with more and more bad language on newer programmes. Swearing for swearing's sake.

Nasty swear words - sometimes a minute or two after the 9pm watershed.

I would feel far more happier in front of family seeing a glimpse of a calender photograph of some some nude model in the background of a scene, rather than the full blown, and unnecessary, four letter words (the worst ones at that) littering programmes which add nothing to the story, and turn a programme which essentially the whole family could generally watch, but now makes it uncomfortable viewing.
Also there was another blotted out calendar on the wall of the factory where Foggy and the gang were picking up an item that Foggy had commissioned.

When asked what Burt Kwouk likes most about LOTSW he said and I quote "It's a lovely gentle programme. Before it's shown we should put up a sign, saying "This show contains no bad language, no violence and no scenes of a sexual nature" And that's what I like about it"

I agree with previous posts and perhaps the censors should focus their attention elsewhere as to me it's an utter nonsense editing bits out. I'm watching the DVD set it's also worth noting that most of the episodes have already been rated a 'U' (universal) by the BBFC which they define as

A U film should be suitable for audiences aged four years and over, although it is impossible to predict what might upset any particular child.
U films should be set within a positive framework and should offer reassuring counterbalances to any violence, threat or horror. If a work is particularly suitable for pre-school children, this will be indicated in the content advice.

I never understood why none of the DVDs obtained a U certificate - especially the later series which were even gentler.

The only VHS video that I recall had a U certificate was Uncle of the Bride - but later VHS releases of this same episode were given a PG rating. It seems someone had a change of heart very early on.

Dad's Army videos nearly always had a U certificate for their VHS videos, and I would have expected the same for LOTSW, as the shows are very similar.

Later, the ridiculous 12 certificate seemed to be used often for releases where a PG certificate would normally be used. This was also the case with some of the LOTSW DVDs, again including some of the later series.

It's hard to imagine why anyone under 12 would have to be restricted, shall we say, in viewing certain episodes (particularly the newer ones).

We can't have young children exposed to horrors of Last of the Summer Wine...

To be fair to the censors, they're only thinking about our delicate ears, do we really want to be hearing offensive terms such as You Great Prawn or Big Muffin?

Back