Documentaries about Summer Wine

They did do a documentary on the show. It was called 25 Years of Last of the Summer Wine that came out in 1997 before the 18th series. Then they updated it to 30 Years of Last of the Summer Wine in April of 2003 near the end of series 24.

I first saw this special on a Netflix DVD and it is what cemented my liking and understanding of what the show was all about. Previously I had seen a couple episodes some time earlier and had no clue who the characters were or what was going on.

Here is a youtube link to a poor copy that has been altered to prevent copyright infringement.

I don't remember if this was included in any box sets or individually. Would have to look into that further. I think it is a really good doco with cast interviews and talks from the production side of things even Roy Clarke sharing his thoughts. I highly recommend watching this special if you are a fan of the show.

I see while I was typing this that Terry has replied as well.

They did do a documentary on the show. It was called 25 Years of Last of the Summer Wine that came out in 1997 before the 18th series. Then they updated it to 30 Years of Last of the Summer Wine in April of 2003 near the end of series 24.

I first saw this special on a Netflix DVD and it is what cemented my liking and understanding of what the show was all about. Previously I had seen a couple episodes some time earlier and had no clue who the characters were or what was going on.

Here is a youtube link to a poor copy that has been altered to prevent copyright infringement.

I don't remember if this was included in any box sets or individually. Would have to look into that further. I think it is a really good doco with cast interviews and talks from the production side of things even Roy Clarke sharing his thoughts. I highly recommend watching this special if you are a fan of the show.

I see while I was typing this that Terry has replied as well.

Thanks, I'll check out this documentary on YouTube.

Hi @richmavis, Greets and Welcome to the forums. :18:

It is only on the region 1 (North America, etc.) LotSW Vintage 1995 DVD. You can find copies of them on ebay set to worldwide search to include NA. Possibly on Amazon as well. I see copies on there for maybe $20 every now and then. Well worth it I think.

The Vintage series are a special set of discs that includes some Christmas specials and popular episodes for that seasonal year. There is more info on what is included in this thread.

I've been trying to find the 25 years one for ages, does anyone know if it has been posted anywhere?

Sorry Barry, don't believe there are any out there of just the 25 Years.... From what I have read it is the basically same as the 30 Years... with the possibility of just a few more minutes of content added to it to bring it up to date of the 30 year anniversary.

Sorry Barry, don't believe there are any out there of just the 25 Years.... From what I have read it is the basically same as the 30 Years... with the possibility of just a few more minutes of content added to it to bring it up to date of the 30 year anniversary.

I think the only extras in the 30 Year version are coverage of Bill Owen and Compo's deaths and a quick run down of the years since. Also short interviews with Frank Thornton, Brian Wilde and Bert Kwouk.

The 25 years one is almost identical to the 30 year one, with a few moments that were deleted and replaced with newer scenes in the 30 year doc. Perhaps the one notable moment which is slightly emotonal and gave me a slight shudder was the very last clip in the 25, which is about when the show could potentially end and its a shot of Bill Owen saying "My problem is...what am i going to do when it finishes"

heres a copy of the 25 year, it'll be up for 30 days

Hi, the link has expired. Please could you repost if possible
It seems the original poster has removed the content, it sates it will only be there for 30 days, I have the 30 year version, which is the same with a few additions, I will dig it out and make it available here in the next couple of days

I am aware there is a plan afoot for a new LOSW Documentary, once I know more I will let the members know

Here is the 30 Year special, it is a 2 GB file size and you will have to download it ,then view it on your Computer, right click on the file when you reach it, to download
Thanks. I'm currently winding down a straight-through binge of the series and specials and when I hit the spot where this ran what I watched was labeled as 30 year special but it was obliviously all taped well after the end of the show with references through 2010 and interviews with much older Brian Murphy and Tom Owen but not of the then still living cast at 30 years that this one has.

Last edited:
Back