Documentaries about Summer Wine

I too am doing a daily binge watch of the entire series, this time I'm going to do every single episode in the order they were broadcast, including the documentaries. I had previously downloaded the 25 year one, I'm even going to do Terrys Just Pearl at time of the tour in between.

That's basically what I've been doing (though I don't have that one, I did watch the Funny Side of Christmas and Royal Variety Performance). I got a projector in April and started my binge in May. It's been so fun watching it almost theatrically and when the episodes went wide-screen it's glorious :) I'm halfway through series 27 now and will probably be finished about this time next week .

Watching LotSW via a projector sounds like an awesome way to view them, Tommy.
It's been the most wonderful experience. Previously I've caught the show mostly in pairs pre-dawn (US Gulf Coast) on Gold as I had off/on access to it over years, so I have been familiar with all the characters through each series and probably half of the episodes. I had never seen the ones dealing with Compo's death, they hit me even harder than I expected.

The LED projectors have really come along. A $100-200 unit (I got mine with coupon code for $49) was well cheaper than a bulb to revive my old projector and lasts years longer, doesn't heat up the room and the image looks better than the old one. I've been using it as my primary screen since I don't have to feel like I'm wasting bulb watching trivial stuff or letting it become side noise. My TV is a 60" (supposedly) 4K Vizio that's been totally underwhelming so if this projector isn't HD, I certainly don't know it. :21:

Great news, thanks @tommy . I had no idea that LED projectors were so reasonable in price and picture. I'd definitely like to look into one now. Would you be willing to share what make / model you have or recommend?
-Are you able to use a wall or is a special screen to show it on needed?
-Does the room need to be very dark for a good picture?

Not owned a projector so unsure where to start for info. Did not think about the older still would heat up a room, makes sense.

Great news, thanks @tommy . I had no idea that LED projectors were so reasonable in price and picture. I'd definitely like to look into one now. Would you be willing to share what make / model you have or recommend?
-Are you able to use a wall or is a special screen to show it on needed?
-Does the room need to be very dark for a good picture?

Not owned a projector so unsure where to start for info. Did not think about the older still would heat up a room, makes sense.
I just project on a plain white painted wall and it looks fine. From many reports cheap screens are actually a step down from that. My older type projector I believe was 2000 lumens, my current claims 8000. I don't know if it's 4 times brighter (or if that's how that works) but it's plenty bright during the day for a decent picture. I have medium thickness curtains on 2 windows and un-curtained door top windows (but shaded by porch) on the wall adjacent to the projection, I'd say it's about 50% light in the room and I still prefer it in the daytime to my TV. At night, it's close enough to the movies for me :)

I actually just received my 2nd LED projector yesterday. The one I've been using is 720p native, 1080p capable. I wasn't expecting much for the price when I ordered it but I like it so much I wanted to get the full HD and grabbed the new one (1080p native) when the deal came along (I haven't hooked it up yet but I'll update you on how it goes). Eventually I'll likely grab a 4K when the right offer comes along. Together my 2 projectors cost half that of a PC monitor I was in search of replacing when I discovered the cheap projectors. As long as they stay this good price/quality I may not replace my big TV when it goes. I learned the hard way on the first projector you can't watch anything with a chyron, there is a faint CNN "WAR ON UKRAINE" and "Breaking News" burned in after having watched just one segment and it's visible on darker scenes, so I am going to use that projector to watch news and such susceptible to that and keep the new one away from such content.

They are a good bit smaller (and lighter!) than the previous kind and besides mounting you can connect them directly to a tripod and they also have tripods with a projector shelf.

These are various Chinese company models that for the most part seem little different from each other among similar specs, be sure to check the reviews. There's higher end out there of course if that's what your seeking but I've found mine a great bang for the buck for instant personal theater. I have a Fire Stick connected to it that is Bluetooth connected to a Jam Party speaker.

The first one I got no longer has a page at Amazon, the new one is https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B09MQYDWLC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't know if the coupon code is still active or if works if you find this item on Amazon outside of US but check any onscreen coupon on the product page before adding to cart and apply 50R8BPHD to see if it will give you a nice discount. Look down the page for the similar items section to see what other models to look for on non-US Amazon pages.

Thanks a lot for all the helpful info about projectors, tommy. I had seen different lumens numbers and wondered which would be a good range. Was looking at the 1080p and 4k ready ones just a few minutes ago.

The warning on channels with chyrons is good to know! That's kinda scary since most news shows love their chyrons. I think when I get one it will mostly be used for movies and DVD playback either by set top or off computer hard drive. So I am thinking up ways to be able to hook it up to computer, DVD player and still be able to shunt the audio to my sound system. Currently my TV takes all those inputs and then fiber optics out the audio sound system. So I can listen to TV or Dolby Receiver / amp.

Appreciate the link, helps point me in the right direction. If I have more questions I hope you don't mind if I message you directly. So I don't take this thread too far off topic for those not interested in projectors.

Your video clip is great. Helps me to get a good idea on how nice this looks. Wasn't sure how an older TV show like what we enjoy so much would look at such a larger scale TV/projector setup. I'm impressed.

You mentioned the US Gulf Coast, I'm mid way up the NC coast. Here's hoping for a quite hurricane season for all of us.

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:
I don't know if any of the other models are more resistant to burn-in, but as I noted earlier many of these seem to be of common internal parts and software. I knew not to park it on a news channel but didn't expect it to happen on a brief viewing. On a funny side of that note, there is also a faint tiny pair of "clinking" beer mugs in the upper left that is from one of the sources for earlier seasons of LotSW :) It hasn't had a problem so far with translucent channel identifiers like PBS uses.

You're going to want a bit of upgrade in model if you want the projector to output surround audio or have multiple HDMI inputs. The basic models have 1 HDMI, 1 USB, 1 VGA, A/V in and 3.5mm audio out. My room is small and double-walled so my Bluetooth speaker has been keeping me happy and I play network shared drives on the Fire Stick. I haven't played a DVD since getting the projectors, I rarely do, but if I decide to I'll just connect the VGA and use the PC.

As far as our old shows I think they're probably the best thing for them (along with animation). Someone watching a Blu-ray of the latest CGI blockbuster is probably not going to be overly impressed but I've played a ton of 60s & 70s shows and still get the "Oh wow" every time I play the first episode of an old favorite I haven't seen big screen yet.

Feel free to message with any questions, I'll have a 2nd of these under my experience shortly :) Yes please to a quiet hurricane season, I've been nervous it's going to wake up and try to catch up.

Great, that is awesome, theathrically_inclined!! I very much look forward to it. Do you have any other Summer Wine / Holmfirth area related projects on your youtube channel? If so could you please share?

Serendipitous that you posted a picture of Marsden View rocks overlooking the moor. I was recently wondering if it is possible to get there by walking / hiking from the Easter Gate Bridge area. Or must one get there via car which what looks like by map one needs to drive all the way over to Delph or Slaithwaite and around and over?

Great, that is awesome, theathrically_inclined!! I very much look forward to it. Do you have any other Summer Wine / Holmfirth area related projects on your youtube channel?
I've been making films for other people for a while, whatever they did with them was up to them - I just set up the shoot, lights, etc. - so you'll have to wait for Summer Wine stuff from me!
That's not Marsden, but Hoar Stones as seen in "According To The Prophet Bickerdyke"... where there is no mobile signal and even the GPS didn't work!

Great, that is awesome, theathrically_inclined!! I very much look forward to it. Do you have any other Summer Wine / Holmfirth area related projects on your youtube channel? If so could you please share?

Serendipitous that you posted a picture of Marsden View rocks overlooking the moor. I was recently wondering if it is possible to get there by walking / hiking from the Easter Gate Bridge area. Or must one get there via car which what looks like by map one needs to drive all the way over to Delph or Slaithwaite and around and over?
Are you (and our other overseas members of course!) considering visiting beautiful Summerwine Land next year for the 50th Anniversary Celebrations?

Back