Documentaries about Summer Wine

Rewatched again and it registered this time; does it still look much like the original filming, or changed beyond recognition? Would you say worth a visit?
The stone I'm standing on is just the same, so too is the background - it isn't visible in the photo, but in our video and in the show you will see in the distance on the right there is a field with a single tree in the middle of it that we used as a reference point. We could not find the exact stone the Trio and the hikers stood on, I'm guessing the stones may have sunk a bit over time. The field slopes and the ground is very uneven. Other shots in that episode were filmed in a field across the road, and along Hoar Stones Road.

Hi, I'm new to the site and noticed a few people posting the 25 Years of Last of the Summer Wine Documentary from 1997. Is this still available at all as I have been looking for this for years please. I do have the 30th version, I just like to get this version too

A very warm welcome @Jacklite from a wet and miserable Kernow a warm and sunny Cornwall
I can't answer your request but there are others that can, I'm sure.

Greets and Weclome, @Jacklite ,

Your best option may be to look for it in US NTSC Region 1 DVD's if memory serves that is the only place the 25 Years special was released. Should be able to source via eBay or Amazon. Probably more so eBay looking for a used copy.

It is early AM and pre-coffee at the moment. Can assist with more info later if you like. There is a good Wiki article around here somewhere on the specials availability. Unless you are a 'completest' it is the same special but with some extra footage added to bring it up to date 5 years later.

Cheers,
Rick

edited after a re-read.

Last edited:
Greets and Weclome, @Jacklite ,

Your best option may be to look for it in US NTSC Region 1 DVD's if memory serves that is the only place the 25 Years special was released. Should be able to source via eBay or Amazon. Probably more so eBay looking for a used copy.

It is early AM and pre-coffee at the moment. Can assist with more info later if you like. There is a good Wiki article around here somewhere on the specials availability. Unless you are a 'completest' it is the same special but with some extra footage added to bring it up to date 5 years later.

Cheers,
Rick

edited after a re-read.
Thanks I'll have a look for the DVD

Hiyas @Jacklite,

It seems the information I was going on has changed. I could have sworn the 25 Years special was in the LotSW ":Vintage" series of DVD's that were released for Region 1. Now I am not finding much of any information about them via Google or Duck Duck Go.

My earlier thread about them here https://www.summerwine.net/community/threads/r1-dvd-vintage-extras.16703/ the Wiki link is no longer there.
The partial, cropped screencap I made in that post does work but does not show the 25 Years special. I could have sworn I watched it.

My apologies if I sent you down a wrong track. Don't know why the powers at be might have pulled the 25 Years version available once the 30 Years special came out. It has been mentioned and seen by others than ourselves so it did exist. Now it is like finding hen's teeth. Good luck.

Cheers,
Rick

imdb heard about it 25 Years https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0955213/

imdb 30 Years https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0955214/

Last edited:
I thought I would look to see if there were multiple versions of the 1995 LotSW Vintage DVD R1 NTSC. To see if an earlier production run than the one I have would contain the 25 Years of LotSW episode special. Found 2 different production ones - so far (by looking on eBay). They both have completely different episodes on them. Not only the special(s) but also the regular series episodes are different!

For any others that come looking in the future for the 30 Year special, seek the DVD that says LotSW Vintage 1995. Do not get the one that has Reserve in the title.

< Realized the next two sentences after already typing everything else in. Since 1995 spans both series 16 and series 17 the discs with Reserve in the title is series 16 based. The Reserve (series 16) disc set looks to have come out 8 years after the non-Reserved (series 17) set - one would think they would differentiate between the two series better... :02: >

-------

LotSW Vintage 1995 - (has it.) - <Series 17 based>

With an outdoor group picture of Clegg, Compo and Foggy outdoors with a stream behind them.

The back of the case specifically says Special Features with:
-Thora - a tribute..,
-Funny Side of Christmas,
-30 Years of LotSW,
-Biographies of cast & crew.

Has a DVD package design date of 2004 from the BBC.

Contents of my set.
disc 1
-Leaving Home Forever (or 'till Teatime)
-Bicycle Bonanza
-The Glamour of the Uniform
-The First Human Being to Ride a Hill
-Captain Clutterbuck's Treasure
-30 Years of LotSW
-Funny Side of Christmas

disc 2
-Desperate for a Duffield
-The Suit That Turned Left
-Beware the Elbow
-The Thing in Wesley's Shed
-Brushes at Dawn
-A Leg Up for Christmas
-Tribute to Dame Thora Hird
-Biographies

--------

LotSW Vintage 1995 Reserve - (does not have it.) - <series 16 based>

With 3 individual pictures of Clegg, Compo and Foggy vertically along the left hand side. Plus a larger group picture of the same along with Norman Wisdom at a piano outdoors with a grassy hill behind them.

The back of the case describes some of the episodes included, plus the 1995 special The Man who Nearly Knew Pavarotti. (Only the one special is listed.)

Has a DVD package design date of 2012 from the BBC.

Episodes on the discs (going by the descriptions).
- The Glory Hole
-Adopted by a Stray
-The Most Powerful Eyeballs in West Yorkshire
-The Sweet Smell of Excess
-The Man Who Nearly Knew Pavarotti
--------

Picture of the cover that does have the 30 Year special. Double check please just in case they decide to change things.
LotSW-Vintage-1995.jpg

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:
I thought I would look to see if there were multiple versions of the 1995 LotSW Vintage DVD R1 NTSC. To see if an earlier production run than the one I have would contain the 25 Years of LotSW episode special. Found 2 different production ones - so far (by looking on eBay). They both have completely different episodes on them. Not only the special(s) but also the regular series episodes are different!

For any others that come looking in the future for the 30 Year special, seek the DVD that says LotSW Vintage 1995. Do not get the one that has Reserve in the title.

< Realized the next two sentences after already typing everything else in. Since 1995 spans both series 16 and series 17 the discs with Reserve in the title is series 16 based. The Reserve (series 16) disc set looks to have come out 8 years after the non-Reserved (series 17) set - one would think they would differentiate between the two series better... :02: >

-------

LotSW Vintage 1995 - (has it.) - <Series 17 based>

With an outdoor group picture of Clegg, Compo and Foggy outdoors with a stream behind them.

The back of the case specifically says Special Features with:
-Thora - a tribute..,
-Funny Side of Christmas,
-30 Years of LotSW,
-Biographies of cast & crew.

Has a DVD package design date of 2004 from the BBC.

Contents of my set.
disc 1
-Leaving Home Forever (or 'till Teatime)
-Bicycle Bonanza
-The Glamour of the Uniform
-The First Human Being to Ride a Hill
-Captain Clutterbuck's Treasure
-30 Years of LotSW
-Funny Side of Christmas

disc 2
-Desperate for a Duffield
-The Suit That Turned Left
-Beware the Elbow
-The Thing in Wesley's Shed
-Brushes at Dawn
-A Leg Up for Christmas
-Tribute to Dame Thora Hird
-Biographies

--------

LotSW Vintage 1995 Reserve - (does not have it.) - <series 16 based>

With 3 individual pictures of Clegg, Compo and Foggy vertically along the left hand side. Plus a larger group picture of the same along with Norman Wisdom at a piano outdoors with a grassy hill behind them.

The back of the case describes some of the episodes included, plus the 1995 special The Man who Nearly Knew Pavarotti. (Only the one special is listed.)

Has a DVD package design date of 2012 from the BBC.

Episodes on the discs (going by the descriptions).
- The Glory Hole
-Adopted by a Stray
-The Most Powerful Eyeballs in West Yorkshire
-The Sweet Smell of Excess
-The Man Who Nearly Knew Pavarotti
--------

Picture of the cover that does have the 30 Year special. Double check please just in case they decide to change things.
View attachment 7450

Cheers,
Rick
A friend of mine actually found it late last night. Willing to share it if anyone wants it at all. VHSrip by the looks of it

Great work Jack! I completely forgot about trying a VHS search. Can you share your thoughts on how the two compare / differ?

Great work Jack! I completely forgot about trying a VHS search. Can you share your thoughts on how the two compare / differ?
As Barry said above, basically the same but with something like and extra 10 mins added on with newer interviews on the 30th. But for me its still great to have.

As Barry said above, basically the same but with something like and extra 10 mins added on with newer interviews on the 30th. But for me its still great to have.
I wanted to watch every episode including all the specials in the order they were broadcast so I fully understand where you're coming from. The 30th anniversary documentary is much easier to source than the 25th, but I suppose that makes sense as the 25th has been superseded A kind member on here kindly shared a link to the 25th for me!

Have you managed to find the 10 min Christmas special and the sketch they did at the Royal Variety Performance in the early 80's ?

For some reason the 25th documentary feels slightly more celebratory to me. Having Bill Owen's words as intended whilst he was alive adds further poignancy. The BBC were also a lot more reverential in their treatment of the show at this point. Whilst the 30th still captures much of the fun there is an unspoken air of how much longer they can sustain it.

I wanted to watch every episode including all the specials in the order they were broadcast so I fully understand where you're coming from. The 30th anniversary documentary is much easier to source than the 25th, but I suppose that makes sense as the 25th has been superseded A kind member on here kindly shared a link to the 25th for me!

Have you managed to find the 10 min Christmas special and the sketch they did at the Royal Variety Performance in the early 80's ?
Only Royal Variey i found was on facebook.

Talking of them seem awfully quiet and the site continues to be under renovation which I believe has been its status for some time . Has anyone heard from them lately and know what their current project is/are.
When I met them at the 50th event Bob said he thought that it would be their last event, so I think they're each working on other projects. Perhaps they can reform in a few decades and charge an absolute fortune for tickets to their shows like a certain Mancunian band :confused::08:

Back