50 Golden Summers Celebration Weekend (26-28 May)

This is so cool! I wish I could be there, but I can't travel. I'm going to have a hard enough time going to Florida this summer. I'm working on that with my therapist. It sure is fun being treated for not only addiction and mental illness but also recovering from agoraphobia. Some days I still have panic attacks just going to the store! Lol Anyway, you guys who can go should definitely take lots of pictures and videos for us who can't go! I'm sure we all look forward to seeing them!

This is so cool! I wish I could be there, but I can't travel. I'm going to have a hard enough time going to Florida this summer. I'm working on that with my therapist. It sure is fun being treated for not only addiction and mental illness but also recovering from agoraphobia. Some days I still have panic attacks just going to the store! Lol Anyway, you guys who can go should definitely take lots of pictures and videos for us who can't go! I'm sure we all look forward to seeing them!
Hope you get to go on your trip to Florida! And as we’ve said on this forum before Summer Wine should be recommended by therapists as its sedate pace, gentle laughter and beautiful scenery is good for everyone’s mental health!

Hope you get to go on your trip to Florida! And as we’ve said on this forum before Summer Wine should be recommended by therapists as its sedate pace, gentle laughter and beautiful scenery is good for everyone’s mental health!

Thanks! I hope so too. And I do notice that Summer Wine is very calming for me. I have a friend I met in group therapy who likes British comedies and I should introduce her to it. She's going through a medicine change and that's never fun. She's been very depressed because the old medicine is getting out of her system and the new medicine hasn't had a chance to work yet. I have a lot of friends I've met in psych wards and therapy over the years that I've kept in touch with and we all kind of help each other through the challenges that come with living with mental illness and addiction. My friend, who has everything I have (Borderline Personality Disorder, depression, anxiety, and PTSD), plus Bipolar disorder, recently introduced me to her favorite band so I should probably introduce her to Summer Wine too because I feel like that would give her something calming to focus on when she's having a manic episode and can't sleep. Which would be good for me because I'm usually on the other end of those late night phone calls she makes when she can't sleep! Lol

Maybe one day I'll be able to leave America and do cool stuff like pub crawls and stuff like that. I've never been on a plane before because I'm afraid I'll have a panic attack with too many people around. (We drive 6 hours to Florida) The only time I ever came close to getting on a plane was when my boyfriend was being considered for a job in California and he would have had to move there and of course I would have gone with him but I was secretly happy when he didnt get the job because I was terrified. But my sister is flying to Miami with a friend this week, maybe when she lands, she'll be able to call me and tell me what it's like so I'll know what to expect if I ever do get on a plane and she's a licensed social worker who use to be a therapist at the psych ward I've been to so many times so she could probably suggest some things to help me calm down.

You could perhaps one day get a cruise ship over to the UK if you wanted to visit but didn't wish to fly, I know that there are sailings from Florida to the UK occasionally and regular sailings with Cunard from New York to Southampton.

You could perhaps one day get a cruise ship over to the UK if you wanted to visit but didn't wish to fly, I know that there are sailings from Florida to the UK occasionally and regular sailings with Cunard from New York to Southampton.
That would probably be a good idea! I was really little when my family went on this cruise ship and I forgot where it went but I bet that would be less anxiety inducing for me. If a boat goes down, I can swim, if a plane goes down, I can't fly! Lol

Lol I actually dreamed I went on a plane last night and it wasn't so bad. I had a mini breakdown before bed because I had posted something on Facebook and all my friends were texting me asking me what was wrong (long story) and the one person I didn't want to talk to texted me and I broke down crying and decided to just go to bed. So I guess my dreams were trying to calm me down about at least one thing I was worried about! Lol

Hello all! We've been hectically working behind the scenes to get the festival up and running and so far everything seems to be coming together. The website has just had a quick update, including details on our Friday night pub crawl. On Monday or Tuesday, a schedule for all events will be emailed out to anybody signed up to the mailing list.

Our little journey will begin at 6:30pm on Friday night in The Nook Brewhouse (3A Victoria St, Holmfirth, HD9 2DN), where there will be a special Anniversary Ale on tap to try.

No booking required, just arrive at The Nook between 6:30 and 7:30pm and look for the gaggle of genuine barmpots.

The crawl schedule is flexible, but the rundown of the event looks like this:

6:30-7:30pm
THE NOOK (3A Victoria Street, HD9 2DN)

Then on to the following pubs in the following order for a pint (or a half) each:

THE SHOULDER OF MUTTON (2 Dunford Rd, HD9 2DP)
As featured in "Getting Sam Home"

THE ELEPHANT AND CASTLE (Hollowgate, HD9 2DG)
As featured in "The Frozen Turkey Man"

HOLMFIRTH TAVERN (7 Norridge Bottom, HD9 7BB)
On a street featured in "A Bicycle Made For Three"

O’BRIENS BOTTLE SHOP & BEER CAFÈ (67 Huddersfield Rd, Holmfirth, HD9 3AZ)

Then BACK TO THE NOOK for one last pint of Anniversary Ale before last orders!

If you can't join us at the start of the crawl, you can check the SUMMER WINOS account on Twitter and check this page on the night for updates and track us down along the way!​

Back