The Swan Man of Ilkley

Hi Pete. Look's like you had a great day yesterday. Thankyou once again for all your fab photo's especially the Daisy Lane one's. Take care XX

Have been wanting to get out for a walk for ages,but with work,the weather,short days,I'v not been able to,was great to get out today,apart from the pressure of work,it's an awful 2016 for our family,in more than one way,and I fear it will only get worse,how good to do a good walk and walk in the footsteps of all the wonderful Summerwine people,first stop was the Fox House Inn next to Seymours cottage on Flint Lane just as you are approaching Hade Edge,this scene is from The McDonaghs of Jamieson Street,how I would have loved to have had a pint with these guys.
Entwistle%20052_zpsuwpjvixs.jpg
Entwistle%20056_zpsvzubwzsi.jpg

Thank's for your lovely photo's Pete. I do hope you are ok and all goes well with your family. Take care XX.

Thanks so much gill xx When I put photos up,its not just for the Now photos,to show people who can't get what the locations look like now,but also to remember some of the wonderful scenes and episodes,it makes me smile to be reminded of them.During my walks,every time I walk past this gate this is the scene I imagine,it's where Howard gets strangled in Variations on a Theme of Road Rage,only to be rescued by Pearl,lots of other scenes were filmed here too,walking past I always remember as well the big tractor wheel,and Billy getting inside it here at the gate and rolling down the hill,theres a then and now photo of that somewhere in a previous thread of mine,the location is Clough Foot Lane at Hade Edge.
Entwistle%20001_zpsywadgbvu.jpg
Entwistle%20025_zpsdwhud3yv.jpg

Thank's Pete seeing these place's again bring 's back some great memorie's

Just up from the gate is this tree,I love this tree,it's been featured in lots of episodes,it was the tree Cleggy got stuck up in,in Watching the Clock,if ever they needed a tree,they would come here,this is from one of my favourite later episodes,I thought Brian Conley was great as Boothroyd in Enter the Finger.
Entwistle%20010_zpshnrtfnrx.jpg
Entwistle%20029_zpsv8siv0ty.jpg

The tree stands on top of this field,with this wonderful view looking down on Holme Styes Reservoir at Hade Edge,this scene is from Elegy for Small Creature and Clandestine Trackbike,while there I was talking to the farmer whose family have owned the field for years,he remembers all the filming over the years,at home he has a photo taken when he was a child with Compo,he said they were all lovely,the dry stone wall that you can see is a real dry stone wall,but it wasn't there,they wanted a wall for someone to hide behind and had a dry stone wall especially built on the field,and it still stands today.
Entwistle%20002_zpsuhah00ve.jpg
Entwistle%20028_zpsblptc7ph.jpg

Some time ago there was a discussion on here and someone,I think it was Marianna,mentioned the ruined village of Hade,at the far side of Hades Edge,I had never heard of it so said I would one day go looking for it,I saw it in the background on the episode Deviations with Davenport,so I walked the same track that Foggy,Compo and Clegg took,and found it.It's on Copthurst Road,would have been Hade,but as the village is now in ruins,HadesEdge.

Entwistle%20003_zpsaphizu51.jpg
Entwistle%20035_zpsueqeadyb.jpg

The farm that was next to it is no longer a farm,it's a busy tree felling timber merchants,also from the episode Deviations with Davenport,on Copthurst Road,Hades Edge.
Entwistle%20004_zpspx5emmdf.jpg
Entwistle%20038_zpsapxny955.jpg

I went all over today.For a change of scenery,this is how Entwistles yard is looking these days,not a washer in sight,its now a car park for Holmfirth Fresh Fish,and is on New Mill Road at Holmfirth,the scene is from Lot No.8,where they're just wheeling the coffin out.
Entwistle%20023_zpsku17obt0.jpg
Entwistle%20042_zpsevaqdvnh.jpg

This scene is from All that Glitters is not Elvis,although they filmed lots of scenes here,its a beautiful tranquil place at Ramsden Reservoir,this picnic area is on Brownhill Lane at Holmbridge.

Entwistle%20012_zpss65fa6lf.jpg
Entwistle%20044_zpshkvhoub9.jpg

Hello Pete,

Given the family issues you mentioned in the first of this new series of posts and the stressful work you do I think it is a munificent gesture to take time out to snap and then publish these photographs thank you so much . I sincerely hope that this little break has brought you some relief from your problems . I know that it will have brought great pleasure to all of the members and guests who view these posts , yet another star performance sir, thank you.

Also from All that Glitters is not Elvis,who could resist sitting on that rock and having a cuppa,I sat exactly where Norman is sat,its the picnic area at Ramsden Reservoir,Brownhill Lane,Holmbridge (I always put the locations in case anyone ever visits and wants to take a look)
Entwistle%20013_zpslmy2bakp.jpg
Entwistle%20046_zpshcm4gky2.jpg

I really liked the Truly,Billy episodes,here they are all at the gate at Ramsden Reservoir,it's exactly opposite the picnic area,this is from the episode The McDonaghs of Jamieson Street.
Entwistle%20015_zpsnjr7f2c9.jpg
Entwistle%20048_zpshfyqkky8.jpg

Hello Pete,

Given the family issues you mentioned in the first of this new series of posts and the stressful work you do I think it is a munificent gesture to take time out to snap and then publish these photographs thank you so much . I sincerely hope that this little break has brought you some relief from your problems . I know that it will have brought great pleasure to all of the members and guests who view these posts , yet another star performance sir, thank you.
And posts like yours Neil make it all worthwhile,thank you very much.Pete x

I really liked the Truly,Billy episodes,here they are all at the gate at Ramsden Reservoir,it's exactly opposite the picnic area,this is from the episode The McDonaghs of Jamieson Street.
Entwistle%20015_zpsnjr7f2c9.jpg
Entwistle%20048_zpshfyqkky8.jpg
In Alan Bells book he quotes Brian Wild as saying,after an abandoned attempt at a scene with Seymour,Compo and Clegg,that the show could only work as a trio,and could never work with four members in the group,but I loved these four,and think they were wonderful together.

Some time ago there was a discussion on here and someone,I think it was Marianna,mentioned the ruined village of Hade,at the far side of Hades Edge,I had never heard of it so said I would one day go looking for it,I saw it in the background on the episode Deviations with Davenport,so I walked the same track that Foggy,Compo and Clegg took,and found it.It's on Copthurst Road,would have been Hade,but as the village is now in ruins,HadesEdge.

Oh my! When I saw that episode, I didn't yet know about the abandoned village, so when I saw photos of the village on Google Earth I didn't recognize the location. Thanks for posting the screen grab and your current photo. I always enjoy them.

It looked like you had a lovely walk yesterday Pete, thank's once again for your super photo's. Take care X.

Back