The Swan Man of Ilkley

Pete.

Dedicated Member
SwanMan%20002_zpsfd57duda.jpg
SwanMan%20020_zpsieyocnry.jpg

Great photos Pete thank you so much for posting . I don't know how you manage to find some of the locations , a number of them have changed significantly . The first shot where Nora is walking past the houses where it seems all that dense shrubbery has been chopped away to reveal a Church and where Holmfirth's very own Troy Tempest , Howard, and Marina re-enact a scene from Stingray having escaped the clutches of Hill Street's Queen Titan , Pearl .

The trees and wall have noticeably changed since they shot the scene . I puzzle why did the Crew specifically pick that very spot to film the scene , there must be hundreds of places they could have used . In the context of other film locations where is that particular area of forest and track ?

Thank you so much for your comments captain,and to everyone else who has posted a thanks or a like,I was considering not making any more posts after this one,or even leaving the forum altogether,but showing your appreciation makes all the location hunting,photographing,and worst of all the time consuming uploading worthwhile.
The particular lane that Nora is on is called The Green at Marsden,to be honest until you pointed it out I was not aware of all the trees and shrubbery that had been cut down,it is literally a minutes walk away from Auntie Wainwrights and the Weir.
All the photos were taken at Marsden,I parked at the free National Trust car park next to the railway station across from the Railway pub,and with your back to the pub follow the canal to the Swan Man locations,its not a long walk,you pass some beautiful locations which I can't believe weren't used in the show,I would recommend this walk to anyone,I think its only a mile to the stone bridge,if you then walk back to the railway station and follow the canal the other way you will come to the Standedge tunnel and visitor centre which is only about a mile as well,and if you carry on you will get to the famous old lovely Eastergate bridge used many times in the show.
Due to work I won't be on the site again for two weeks,so thankyou again to everyone who has posted a thankyou or like,I have lots of walks and location hunting planned,and your actions make posting them worthwhile.
Pete.

Pete,

Please keep posting !!! I have said before in other threads if you had a word association quiz involving shows and their locations the answer for LOTSW would be Holmfirth but as your post highlights and previous threads have mentioned Marsden and Jacksons Bridge hosted a significant number of the locations used in the show but don't really get a mention [ on the quiz show Pointless I imagine they would be pointless answers for a question on TV comedy show locations]

There is a photo of Lenny (Bobby Ball) sat in the swan boat smiling broadly at the camera. Alongside him is a man in a wet suit looking uncomfortable with the collar of his suit. I've always wondered what was causing his discomfort.???View attachment 861

Sorry about the second picture ,must have pressed two buttons or something ??

Last edited:
Still in shock over The Monkey,but back to beautiful Summer Wine locations that we can still visit unspoiled.The is the lovely little village green
SwanMan%20001_zpsngwn3x3n.jpg
on Marsh Road at Scholes,just up from Jackson Bridge,its been seen in lots of episodes,but this particular scene is from In Which Romance Springs a Leak.
Low%20sun%20022_zpssfnrptbz.jpg

Howard and Marina wearing welders masks in a scene from Variations on a theme of widow Winstanley.Talen at Horn Lane in New Mill,the bus stop isn't a real one,like in many episodes,bus stops, telephone boxes and benches were put there for filming.
Low%20sun%20002_zpsctrosp5v.jpg
Low%20sun%20025_zps0tki9fz2.jpg

This is Scar Hole Lane at New Mill,and the scene is from In search of childlike joy and the farthest reaches of the lotus position.
Low%20sun%20014_zpsf07pmg7e.jpg
Low%20sun%20031_zpswcdwn9vv.jpg

Last edited:
Back