The Swan Man of Ilkley

Awesome pictures Pete! Hope you do not mind but some of them have become my new desktop backgrounds:). I'm sorry to find that you were thinking of not posting much more and leaving the forum. Really do hope you decide to stay around.

Cheers,
Rick

Thanks Rick,rather than mind its an honour that you like the photos enough to want to do that,I'v another 17 or 18 then and now photos to put up,all from the rural walk yesterday around Scholes,Jackson Bridge and New Mill,and then my next walk,whenever that is,is around Holmfirth and more urban then and now photos,thanks for the comments Rick,all the best.

This is the hill above Scar Hole Lane looking down on Jackson Bridge,when you see scenes in Howards yard by his bin,and you can see a long road and a big hill,this is the view down from that hill,used throughout the series,this scene is from Sinclair and the Wormley Witches.
Low%20sun%20017_zpsjutui5wj.jpg
Low%20sun%20035_zps2uwt39lu.jpg

And doesn't it look B cold in that shot!! Gets me reaching for a cardy everytime!!:wink:

The bench was just put there for filming,it's on Hirst Lane at New Mill and is from the episode Will The Genuine Racer Please Stand Up.
Low%20sun%20008_zpsq0tgsnhq.jpg
Low%20sun%20039_zpsnqzxwsp2.jpg

This is a very rare photograph,Howard and Pearl out cycling together at Scaly Gate,New Mill.Just a few yards round the corner is the bench on Butterley Lane,and it's there where Cooper and Walsh said something along the lines of "Another one,not seen you with this one before" From the episode Of Passion and Pizza.
Low%20sun%20005_zps2hpw881n.jpg
Low%20sun%20044_zps8oxsvbwn.jpg

Good to see some pubs are as cherished and beautiful as they were back then,this is the Butchers Arms at Towngate,Hepworth,seen many times over the years,this from the episode The Second Stag Night of Doggy Wilkinson
Low%20sun%20011_zpswibqmeuh.jpg
Low%20sun%20046_zpst7g3sxn7.jpg

This is a very rare photograph,Howard and Pearl out cycling together at Scaly Gate,New Mill.Just a few yards round the corner is the bench on Butterley Lane,and it's there where Cooper and Walsh said something along the lines of "Another one,not seen you with this one before" From the episode Of Passion and Pizza.
Low%20sun%20005_zps2hpw881n.jpg
Low%20sun%20044_zps8oxsvbwn.jpg

Pete , if I recall this must be post Howard getting caught under the Bridge with the Pizza lady when Pearl catches him having chased him on the bike . I recall from another thread that bridge is on private land [some sort of farm] also setting for thumpy dubs . Where is this location in comparison with the bridge , close or a few miles away . Thank you in advance for any information.

Hi Pete,

Thanks for more great pics. I'm curious how you and the others go about getting pictures of the sites and countryside that you do. I figure you see a view in the show that you would like to photograph. How do you get such a good reproduction of the scene? Do you take a still copy of the show with you to get the same angle / perspective, etc.?

Finding a building should be easy enough if you have a name or address. How do you find the countryside vista shots? Locating the name of the street, or section of countryside even with Google maps must be a challenge.

Cheers,
Rick

I love this little bench at the end of Butterley Lane at New Mill,and make no apologies for putting three stills up,I always sit here with my flask and have a cuppa,hundreds of scenes have been filmed here,and on the three lanes next to it that make a junction,Foggy Compo and Clegg used to sit here,but it was a different bench then,the first photo is from Variations on a Theme of Road Rage,and the two with Cooper and Walsh are from The Mother of all Mistakes.
Low%20sun%20003_zpstoanzv51.jpg
Low%20sun%20028_zpsjy2iyfra.jpg
Low%20sun%20020_zpssd6swlrj.jpg
Low%20sun%20026_zps9dfwesyy.jpg
Low%20sun%20019_zpsyjxwisl6.jpg
Low%20sun%20027_zpspchcj9ou.jpg

Whenever something needed testing,it was often down this lane,Scar Hole Lane at New Mill,that it got tested,in this case Smiler is reluctantly testing a cart advised by Wesley and Tom,in the episode In Search of Childlike Joy and the Farthest Reaches of the Lotus Position
Low%20sun%20013_zpsmaaljhna.jpg
Low%20sun%20042_zpselmvnfjw.jpg

Last edited:
Pete , if I recall this must be post Howard getting caught under the Bridge with the Pizza lady when Pearl catches him having chased him on the bike . I recall from another thread that bridge is on private land [some sort of farm] also setting for thumpy dubs . Where is this location in comparison with the bridge , close or a few miles away . Thank you in advance for any information.
Hi captain,its a mansion more than a farm,the last time I looked it was for sale at 1.4 million with the grounds that included the bridge,on the sale poster one of the selling points is that it was used several times in Last Of The Summer Wine,theres no access at all to it,its on private land fenced off,if you turn round where Howard and Pearl are and walk back,walk about a mile and you'll come to a bench and a hill that I often post where you can see a body of water in the distance,thats the bridge,it looks far away but its not too bad a walk
Bridge%20001_zpsubncgedf.jpg
April%2015%20009_zpse2jvj0cd.jpg
April%2015%20034_zps00cl9vaw.jpg

Hi Pete,

Thanks for more great pics. I'm curious how you and the others go about getting pictures of the sites and countryside that you do. I figure you see a view in the show that you would like to photograph. How do you get such a good reproduction of the scene? Do you take a still copy of the show with you to get the same angle / perspective, etc.?

Finding a building should be easy enough if you have a name or address. How do you find the countryside vista shots? Locating the name of the street, or section of countryside even with Google maps must be a challenge.

Cheers,
Rick
Hi Rick,
Thanks for the post,I know the area quite well,its been my walking ground,just like the trio's,for years.Every time I watch an episode I know most of the locations,having walked the area previously,and if I see something I want to take a "now" photo of,I just pause the tv and take a photo of it,sometimes with buildings I don't know exactly where they are,so I watch the scene to look for background landmarks or where they walk to or from,sometimes when they do that the scene will open up and I'll recognise the town or area,once I searched for ages every time I went to Marsden and Jackson Bridge etc for a stone gateway that looked like a Church entrance where Eli was dressed as Dracula,and I couldn't find it as there were no clues,then one day I just came right across it set back off the road near to where I always park the car at Marsden,most times though I will recognise the location straight away,
It's very rare that I'll go looking for a general area,but it can be harder to pinpoint exact locations in the countryside,I use my camera that I have the still from the tv on,and match it up that way,there is usually something in the background,it can be anything,that you can match up and identify a shot with,
With closer up shots with not much background,like adopted by a stray,I always look for rocks,as they usually don't change at all,on this same thread I was looking for the part of the path where Howard and Marina emerged from woodland to be surrounded by divers in The swan man of Ilkley,I walked all up and down the path looking for a gap in the wall where they could emerge from the trees,and on my still on my camera I identified one particular large stone that looked like a loaf of bread to me,and there it was,I found it,the exact same stone by a gap leading to the woods,although the rest of the area had changed and overgrown,
I'v put hundreds of these posts on,on the time I'v been here,and I think I'v got most pretty much spot on,
Thanks for your interest Rick,
Pete.

And long may you continue to post these great photos it lets members new and old see the locations where our beloved show was filmed . Some remain easily identifiable and a tribute to the show [Sid's Cafe, Nora's/Compo's] , with others , which we have discussed before , you would never have known that anyone had been there let alone filmed this iconic series in those locations .

Other than Holmfirth ,where the local Tourist Office does promote the sites used in the town and of course there is the Vintage Bus tour , in Marsden and Jackson Bridge, in my mind , there is little evidence of those areas revering the show in the context of what it has done for the area [ happy to be corrected if there is evidence to the contrary] . I realise this may be a biased view , perhaps some residents feel that it is a bit of a millstone around their necks with their lives disrupted by people tramping around their property because it was used in the show.

I am starting to look at the British Comedy Society site who are responsible for the placement of the Blue Plaques. I have thought of enquiring if there are any plans in the context of LOTSW , purely as an avenue to perhaps get some recognition for the show in the areas I have mentioned . I am not sure how far the Society's scope extends until I read the site content further , it may be they purely look at individual artists locations rather than the shows themselves . I may add to this thread when I have had a chance to look.

More Power to the Shutter Pete!

Wow, Pete what a great backyard you have to wander about in! Appreciate the detailed responses. Would like to talk with you more about the area sometime in the future if you don't mind.

Here is a quote from a photography book I read long ago and has stuck with me. You may appreciate it too. French photographer Arnaud Claass once said, "In painting, the curve is a hill; in photography, the hill is a curve."

Cheers,
Rick

Hi Rick,
Thanks for the post,I know the area quite well,its been my walking ground,just like the trio's,for years.Every time I watch an episode I know most of the locations,having walked the area previously,and if I see something I want to take a "now" photo of,I just pause the tv and take a photo of it,sometimes with buildings I don't know exactly where they are,so I watch the scene to look for background landmarks or where they walk to or from,sometimes when they do that the scene will open up and I'll recognise the town or area,once I searched for ages every time I went to Marsden and Jackson Bridge etc for a stone gateway that looked like a Church entrance where Eli was dressed as Dracula,and I couldn't find it as there were no clues,then one day I just came right across it set back off the road near to where I always park the car at Marsden,most times though I will recognise the location straight away,
It's very rare that I'll go looking for a general area,but it can be harder to pinpoint exact locations in the countryside,I use my camera that I have the still from the tv on,and match it up that way,there is usually something in the background,it can be anything,that you can match up and identify a shot with,
With closer up shots with not much background,like adopted by a stray,I always look for rocks,as they usually don't change at all,on this same thread I was looking for the part of the path where Howard and Marina emerged from woodland to be surrounded by divers in The swan man of Ilkley,I walked all up and down the path looking for a gap in the wall where they could emerge from the trees,and on my still on my camera I identified one particular large stone that looked like a loaf of bread to me,and there it was,I found it,the exact same stone by a gap leading to the woods,although the rest of the area had changed and overgrown,
I'v put hundreds of these posts on,on the time I'v been here,and I think I'v got most pretty much spot on,
Thanks for your interest Rick,
Pete.
I'd got it into my head that it was a Church,I don't know why,this is all you saw of the scene,and all the time it was just the entrance to a big private house on Station Road at Marsden and I must have walked past it a hundred times
SW1%20005_zpsmyjkjdep.jpg

Marsden%203-15%20021_zpscxh2g750.jpg

And long may you continue to post these great photos it lets members new and old see the locations where our beloved show was filmed . Some remain easily identifiable and a tribute to the show [Sid's Cafe, Nora's/Compo's] , with others , which we have discussed before , you would never have known that anyone had been there let alone filmed this iconic series in those locations .

Other than Holmfirth ,where the local Tourist Office does promote the sites used in the town and of course there is the Vintage Bus tour , in Marsden and Jackson Bridge, in my mind , there is little evidence of those areas revering the show in the context of what it has done for the area [ happy to be corrected if there is evidence to the contrary] . I realise this may be a biased view , perhaps some residents feel that it is a bit of a millstone around their necks with their lives disrupted by people tramping around their property because it was used in the show.

I am starting to look at the British Comedy Society site who are responsible for the placement of the Blue Plaques. I have thought of enquiring if there are any plans in the context of LOTSW , purely as an avenue to perhaps get some recognition for the show in the areas I have mentioned . I am not sure how far the Society's scope extends until I read the site content further , it may be they purely look at individual artists locations rather than the shows themselves . I may add to this thread when I have had a chance to look.

More Power to the Shutter Pete!
Thankyou captain :)
I often think that when people travel miles to come to Holmfirth to see the views they won't see any,it has the café and Nora's etc,but to see the beautiful scenery you would have to drive just four or five miles to Marsden or Jackson Bridge and New Mill.
What a wonderful idea about the plaques,I'v often thought exactly the same when I'v visited the places that have been frequently used,whenever I'v been to Aunties shop in Marsden there is usually someone else who comes along and takes a photo,but there is nothing in the town to help them or tell them anything,a blue plaque on Aunties would be a wonderful tribute to the show,I'd also like to see one at the weir where they have filmed throughout the series,by the weir and railings,where Billy and Truly were stood in a recent photo I put up,there are benches and people often sit and watch the ducks and the water,wouldnt it be amazing to have some recognition there,to sit and reflect and think about the thousands of scenes that were filmed at that very spot,like Foggy in Sunray Major getting in a tangle with the radios,
Please look more into it,it would be an amazing permanent tribute.

Wow, Pete what a great backyard you have to wander about in! Appreciate the detailed responses. Would like to talk with you more about the area sometime in the future if you don't mind.

Here is a quote from a photography book I read long ago and has stuck with me. You may appreciate it too. French photographer Arnaud Claass once said, "In painting, the curve is a hill; in photography, the hill is a curve."

Cheers,
Rick
Thankyou Rick,
Would love to help in any way I can,great quote,I'v often thought about getting a decent camera,the one I have is just one of those small Samsung compact cameras that's about ten years old and to be honest the camera on my phone takes better pictures but its much more difficult to download them that way,
Please contact me whenever you want,but there are times in my rota when I don't come on the site,its just that I'v been off work taking some leave this last week,
Take care,Pete.

This little rockface area has been used several times,it's on Scar Hole Lane at New Mill,and this scene is from In Search of Childlike Joy
Low%20sun%20015_zpsak6lwzru.jpg
Low%20sun%20030_zps9fu7vajg.jpg

Here's another of our pubs still thankfully lovingly looked after,it's the White Horse on Scholes Road at Jackson Bridge,the scene is from In Search of Childlike Joy,I can't remember why they're running but I do remember immediately before this scene,Edies car and the ladies pull up outside the pub,just where they are running up the hill is where I park my car,and not far up,on your left is the little lane where Cleggs and Howards houses are

Low%20sun%20016_zpscrbhxsyh.jpg
Low%20sun%20045_zpsjayxdu9x.jpg

Back