Would it still be going today?

That's another place near us where the filming is done, Balby near Doncaster. We have been to the shop but never during filming. The shop is about 11 - 12 miles from where we live.

Well they start Mon 27th and will be there for the week,so this could be your chance

I read the other day that Warren was not being renewed another season. Something about the show not being funny enough. Not sure if it had something to do with the other articles I had seen earlier of Martin Clunes riding an elephant. There was some stink about that.

I tried to watch Warren but it just did not work for me

I read the other day that Warren was not being renewed another season. Something about the show not being funny enough. Not sure if it had something to do with the other articles I had seen earlier of Martin Clunes riding an elephant. There was some stink about that.

I hope not!!! I concede riding the Elephant was not the smartest move . I don't know if you caught it Rick but it was really laugh out loud in parts especially if like me you've aged and become a lifelong member of the Victor Meldrew Appreciation Society . The world seems to be against him and things always go wrong but he is so cantankerous it captures the essence of most older men . It would be a disgrace if it didn't get a second series when they have given Still Open a totally unnecessary new series , it should never have been made , no justice if true.

Sorry I'm a bit late to this one, a fascinating thread!
Ken Kitson & Louis Emerick tried to get a spin off off the ground in 2014, Roy Clarke was onboard with the writing from what I can remember and Alan Bell was keen. This could've been a back door way of getting many of the LOTSW characters back. No TV companies were interested so they were trying to fund a few episodes via Crowdfunding, but sadly they didn't get anywhere near the £20,000 I think they needed.

I pledged a donation as I thought this would be more fresh than resurrecting LOTSW, but sadly it wasn't to be...

Sorry I'm a bit late to this one, a fascinating thread!
Ken Kitson & Louis Emerick tried to get a spin off off the ground in 2014, Roy Clarke was onboard with the writing from what I can remember and Alan Bell was keen. This could've been a back door way of getting many of the LOTSW characters back. No TV companies were interested so they were trying to fund a few episodes via Crowdfunding, but sadly they didn't get anywhere near the £20,000 I think they needed.

I pledged a donation as I thought this would be more fresh than resurrecting LOTSW, but sadly it wasn't to be...

I would have loved that as a programme. The policemen hardly even have to open their mouths to be funny.

I agree with you Barry, I too would have loved to have seen a separate series about the two cops. But the BBC, for some reason, think that everybody is into 'alternative comedy'. Personally, I think it is about as funny as toothache. :20::eek2::frown2::44::25:

Although I miss our wonderful comedy, I'm pretty sure it would've finished by now even if the BBC had persevered with it. I think the passing of many of the greats like Peter Sallis, Frank Thornton, Burt Kwouk & Jean Alexander would've ripped the soul out of it. Also I found that Roy Clarkes writing wasn't as sharp towards the latter episodes, even though I love them for being so gentle, I got my laughs earlier in the series. But a spin off would have been perfect as you could have taken things into different directions and perhaps attracted a new audience. Sadly the BBC prefer to invest their money in more 'inclusive' comedies like Citizen Khan which has been universally slated as an awful comedy but the BBC are happy to keep throwing money at that. Right I'm getting off my soapbox now!!!

Sometimes you have to just let go... no matter how good you think it is, some shows just go on 1 or 10 seasons too long in chasing the mighty $$$... Its quite sad to see how some end, when the main characters leave/die off and are replaced.. LOSW had the main people replaced a few times, which I think is testimony to its writing, but would it still be going today - not a hope.. as someone said, the PC world and the people who wake up daily looking for something to be offended by would have killed it.

Be happy it went anywhere near the length it did.. :)

... Also I found that Roy Clarkes writing wasn't as sharp towards the latter episodes, ...
I read somewhere that Roy Clarke said he had hoped to end LOTSW when FOTSW began broadcasting. He was becoming bored with LOTSW. Full credit to him for soldiering on when the BBC asked for more LOTSW but not for more FOTSW.

Back