Would it still be going today?

D1986

Hi all
Still can't believe it's 9 years since it finished but I was thinking if it hadn't been cancelled how many more years do you think it could have gone on for? Would the passing of Peter Sallis have been the end for it or would it have ended before 2017

As far as I can see the only actors still with us
Hobbo
Howard
Pearl
Marina
Alvin
The two policemen
Tom
Ivy
Barry
Glenda

Here's my post from another thread when we discussed who was still alive , earlier this year:-

So difficult because they are mostly no longer in the public eye , most have retired and sadly you only hear anything about them when their death is announced in the paper . Looking at the list I believe those still alive are [but could be wrong] :-
Robert Fyfe [93 years young]
Juliette Kaplan
Jean Ferguson
Sarah Thomas
Mike Grady
Ken Kitson
Tom Owen
Brian Murphy[ a sprightly 86]
Jo Tewson [a sprightly 87 and once married to Leonard Rossiter]
Louis Emerick[still pops up on TV in various shows]
Christopher Beeny
Jonathan Linsley[Hoping he is fully recovered now]
Barbara Young
Russ Abbot
Julie T Wallace
Dennis Mawn
Robin Banks
David Williams [I believe he is still alive last acting credit was 2016 but could have retired]
Michael Wardle

I can find nothing for Len Fox who was a Villager in Five episodes

The strangest is Keith Clifford I think he is alive but when you look him up there is an obituary for a Keith Clifford in the Edinburgh News which two people have commented on him being enjoyed as Billy in LOTSW but I imagine that the two people could have been mistaken and added in error plus as a Yorkshire born and bred guy why would he end his days in some remote Scottish town of Bonnyrigg nr Edinbur

Greets and Welcome to the forums, D1986 ! :18:

It would have been nice to of seen Barry, Glenda, Billy, Ms Davenport and others pick up the mantle and continue on with the show. Maybe Crusher could have made a return to continue at the cafe! All wishful thinking and everyone staying healthy of course. :)

Cheers, Rick

In essence aside from the repeats on various channels it is still going strong with new story lines appearing as little vignettes, all courtesy of the wonderful Claye who continues to religiously publish his comic strip on our site :37:

I think the biggest problem was Roy Clarke, I know he's still writing Still Open All Hours ( and I'll go round and round with John on this when I say it's no where near as good as it was ) but he's getting on himself so would he still have the time, patents and energy to write 2 sit coms? The general consensus on our Facebook groups was that Hobbo didn't work so I don't think it would have survived much longer anyway. It ended on a high and I think that's the most important thing.

I know I might get shot down in flames but the comedies considered to be masterpieces only have a small number of episodes like Fawlty Towers [2 series] , Porridge [ 3 Series] , Blackadder [ 1 series per period of History] so our beloved show at 31 series is on face value way passed its best and so are others perhaps considered classics ran for longer . The turmoil of " killing the cash cow " by cutting the show at its peak for writers like Roy Clarke must be so difficult and if the commissioning company are willing to fund it you can see why they may continue to write more episodes .

Still Open all Hours should never have been written , when Ronnie B died that should have been it .

I know I might get shot down in flames but the comedies considered to be masterpieces only have a small number of episodes like Fawlty Towers [2 series] , Porridge [ 3 Series] , Blackadder [ 1 series per period of History] so our beloved show at 31 series is on face value way passed its best and so are others perhaps considered classics ran for longer . The turmoil of " killing the cash cow " by cutting the show at its peak for writers like Roy Clarke must be so difficult and if the commissioning company are willing to fund it you can see why they may continue to write more episodes .

Still Open all Hours should never have been written , when Ronnie B died that should have been it .
The progs you mention Captain were comedies. LOTSW was a sitcom. A sitcom concentrates on the situation. A comedy is more inclined towards jokes. There is a subtle difference. I think. :confused2::confused2::confused2:

Still Open should have remained as it was, I managed to watch 10 minutes of it the other night and my feelings haven't changed.

I don't think of the shows I mention as straight comedies they border on situation comedies there are mixed emotions shown in all, no more than the pathos shown in Blackadder 4 when they go over the top which cuts away to a field of poppies its on a par with the episode where our beloved Compo passed away . It really depends how deeply you want to analyse the shows Basil Fawlty could not be more humorous however I feel empathy for him in the fact he is downtrodden and vilified to an extent by Sybil with her often callous interjections .

Personally I’m glad it finished when it did and honestly think it should’ve finished earlier. Not because I dislike the later years at all but mainly the effect of producing the show in a more PC time I think was to the detriment of the show and if created today there is no way some of the funniest scenes and gags would’ve been allowed.
I talk of the instances with what I think of as cruel clegg - series one I think - when he says things like bless the silly old cow when talking of mrs clegg or the episode where he says something about suffer not children (when he wants a go on the driving simulator)
Whilst clearly a product of its time it is these humours that appeal to me so much and I don’t think it would’ve been as funny writte today at either 1 series or into its 40th

That's another place near us where the filming is done, Balby near Doncaster. We have been to the shop but never during filming. The shop is about 11 - 12 miles from where we live.

I see they start filming a new series of still open all hours from the 27th May

Clearly they are just so short of ideas the recycle this way past its sell by date show, yet in another breath they canned Boomers which has promise and a stellar cast ,who makes these decisions ? If they also bin Warren , which also had some laugh out loud moments, then I just despair.

You are right Captain. From what I have read Boomers and Summer Wine were both binned by a woman. One of the cast from both these comedies can confirm that.

I read the other day that Warren was not being renewed another season. Something about the show not being funny enough. Not sure if it had something to do with the other articles I had seen earlier of Martin Clunes riding an elephant. There was some stink about that.

Back