What is your most popular episode?

barmpot

LOTSW Fanatic
Those, like mysef, who are priveleged to know the programme as far back as possible have many episodes to look back on but I was wondering what is the most popular episode for you personally?

I liked especially "Full Steam Behind" which goes back to the 1970s (available on DVD or video) which just has the threesome getting into a fearful escapade with a steam locomotive on Keighley & Worth Valley Railway. I understand from the old Summer Wine Appreciation Society (is that still running by the way?) that this was one of Peter Sallis's favourites.

What do others think?

I love "The last remaining maurice chevalier Impressionist" its perfect comedy, I also love "The Mysterious Feet Of Nora Batty" because I love Joe Gladwin`s performance as Wally in that episode, he really was an adorable old fella, I love "The Loxley Lozenge" for the facial expressions of Peter Sallis when the sofa detaches from the Lozenge and Wesley at his best(Its a vintage racing car,you Big nit) his delivery was always so perfect,especially for someone who said they were not an actor! .. :), "Whats Santa got for Nora then" another classic, the way Howard falls on his tree just one of many highlights,The music in the scene when that happens was just bang on, Also "The Man who nearly Knew Pavarotti" was hilarious,oh and "Stop that Bath" for obvious reasons, they are all great though,every last episode.

What a wonderful set of memories there - all excellent choices - now where are my old videos.......

I was just watching "Stop That Tub" or something like it from 1993.

The episode is about Howard trying to buy a gift for Marina. He went to Auntie Wainwright's for a pair of earrings but she sold him a cast iron tub.
I laughed out loud. So nice to laugh out loud.

One funny part was when Pearl intercepts a phone call from Foggy to Howard. When Pearl takes the phone from Howard, Foggy pretends he's giving the correct time. "At the beep the time will be 12:27 and 30 seconds. " Foggy does the time and the beeps.

The best part is when the landlord at the pub walks by and watches Foggy giving the time and beeping. Funny.

Strange that you should be watching "Stop that Bath" as I was also watching it last night,another of those great moment episodes

hi all
i also love that episode stop that bath i also love passing the earring
come in sunray major second husband and the showgirls give us a lift
to name a few in give us a lift when foggy say's we wait for a customer
and clegg turns and looks at the empty space
i'm lucky enough to have every episode and watch them every night
i think this is a great site where fans of the show can chat to each other
colin

I like "Happy Birthday Howard", too. I like all the later episodes where there is more fun with a variety of characters instead of just the main three.

Last of the Summer Wine really makes me laugh. Most of the other tv shows are trying to be funny but have to include things that just make me cringe.

Full Steam Behind was a clever episode just using the trio,something I think they only did this once,the filming was done just a mile or so from where I live and I often drive along Ebor Lane where the trio walked down to look over the bridge and every time I can visualise them doing just that

Had not realiased that Full Steam behind was the only one with just the trio. The very early one when they go camping (Blamire was going to get a sunrise on his twin lens reflex) almost was in that category? I shall have to sit down and watch them again to check!!

There have been a number with just one other main participant - such as the one about Ludovic's van.

These days there are many more characters and a number of sub-plots so the later episoides are different in style.

I love Last of the Summer Wine. It is one of my favorite British comedies. I'm from America so I get a lot of the British comedies on our PBS (Public Brodcasting). Recently some of the new episodes were shown, I'm thinking about 2008. (I'm having a senior moment, can't remember @#$%, lol.) Anyway, my question is what happened to Compo? Did he pass on or decide not to be in the show anymore?

My favorite character is Peter Sallis' character. And I don't have a favorite show as I like them all.

Sadly Bill Owen, who played Compo, died shortly after filming in 2000 - thus the charcter died too. There was a tremendous send off in the 21st series epsode "Just a Small Funeral". Only three of that series had Bill owen in - three dealt with his death and funeral and the last few introduced us to his son, played by Tom Owen and some other characters who are no longer with us.

Only Peter Sallis, who plays Clegg, and Jane Freeman, who plays Ivy, are left from the early days and Ivy was not in the first ever episode. Many of the stalwarts are now no longer with us - including Blamire (original third man of the trio), Foggy (the seond third man), Seymour (the third third man), Edie (Glenda's mother), Wesley (marrid to Edie), Sid (married to Ivy), Wally Batty (married to Norah) and Norah as well as Eli and Mr Wainwright the librarian, and one of the policemen (from the days when they did not have names).

Oh, I love mainly the old episodes, I think all my favourites are from series 3-8, but I also loved "The Secret Birthday of Norman Clegg" because Cleggy is my favourite and I simply love Peter Sallis. But I don´t know each and every episode because I have to rely on youtube etc., it´s not aired here in Germany.
And yes, Barmpot is right, Full Steam Behind is Peter Sallis´s favourite episode. He said that when I met him a few weeks ago and he also said he was a bit of a railway enthusiast himself. He said, he enjoyed filming this episode the most of all episodes.

Full Steam Behind is a favorite of mine. The trio just works well in this episode. The episodes where Foggy stands out with his character are superb. Episodes like In the Service of Humanity and Odd Dog Men. Wilde did a GREAT performance in that one. I loved Foggy's little trail-off thinking about the dog walking business being a success... "Walter C. Dewhurst... OBE... W. C. Dewhurst.. OBE... Of course I'll still be known as Foggy in the household.. Has Foggy come back with the Corgi's yet? No! Good man, they've never been so healthy.." etc... One of my favorite moments..

Off topic: Today I know I have to buy a small camera and to carry it with me all day.

Believe me or not, this morning I saw a bathtub driving on a bicycle in the middle of Amsterdam....

I think I need a holiday ???

I love 'when you take a good bite,Yorkshire tastes terrible','Ballad for wind instruments and canoe',The great boarding house bathroom caper'etc.etc.etc
Let's just say I like all of them,some better than others.

All Mod Conned for me. Compo dancing round that chimney pipe singing Jingle Bells, takes a lot of beating.

Back