Wesley

happyjack

Dedicated Member
I watched an episode of All Creatures Great and Small ( the original series) yesterday and who should make an appearance but Wesley Pegden
Did one else see it?

As we used to say in these parts " old age and poverty is catching up "! What programme did he appear as a bus passenger ?? Was it a Summer Wine ??:confused2::3x:

Yes, he played a pig farmer! Joe Gladwin is in an episode as well, I'm not sure if it's the same season but he is right at the beginning of the episode that he is in. Such a recognizable voice.

I like the 'young Harold' and 'young Walter' parts in your clips, Graham. Makes me think of 'young Mr. Grace' from Are You Being Served?
Interesting parallel between Young Mr Grace & Wesley is neither actor who played them had a career on the stage, the former was an architect and as we know the latter was a painter decorator, they both went from Amdram to full time acting nearing retirement!

Sorry, @Barrychuckle a bit of a misunderstanding possibly. I was referring to the videos that Graham had posted, not our Wesley of Last of the Summer Wine.

In the commercials when Joe Gladwin mentions his 'younger' helper I thought someone who would be much younger and/or junior is about to come on screen. The play on words I find humorous at times. Such as with when 'young' Mr. Grace is introduced to come on screen in Are You Being Served? and the older than expected gentleman Mr. Grace appears. Plus he is the youngest of the Grace brothers and trying to imagine all the brothers together.

What can I say?.. simple minds are easily amused. At least mine can be. :21:

Last edited:
I am very behind the times with Summer wine, but, I recall seeing a road sign the gang pass by for Wharmby Street, this was after the passing of Gordon Wharmby, I thought it was a nice nod of recognition to the sad event.

I am very behind the times with Summer wine, but, I recall seeing a road sign the gang pass by for Wharmby Street, this was after the passing of Gordon Wharmby, I thought it was a nice nod of recognition to the sad event.
This was in series 25 “The General’s Greatest Battle”, Marina meets Howard in "Wharmby Street", which was New Street, Slaithwaite.

In one of Compo's later episodes (I don't recall which one), Compo interrogates the Post Lady about a post card she delivered to Nora. The Post Lady reluctantly shares that the card was from someone called "Gladwin" who was vacationing in the Canary Islands, and that the food was brilliant. I always wondered if this was a similar tribute to Joe.

Back