We demand a Knighthood for Cleggy

He could go to Bruce Forsyth for tips on how to get one. Whinging a lot seems to work

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I have just realised that in a sense the ghastly Forsyth is unique. I am totally opposed to the concept of euthanasia. But his need is such that his is the one exception I would make. Put him out of his misery!

Pardon me if my message shows a little ignorance on the topic of knighthood, but I would like to share....

Has Frank Thornton been given knighthood yet? Perhaps it is not done in groups or pairs but it seems to me that the only thing better than Peter Sallis being granted knighthood would be Sallis and Thornton honored together.

I definitely think Frank Thornton deserves at least an OBE!

agree about honours for sallis and truly and several others who have given huge service to so many over the years, especially when you see so many talentless oafs being recognised.......was dame thora the only one of the regulars with an honour does anyone know.....has jean alexander had any recognition...?

CBE for the two. I can just picture Frank and Peter ducking down for the Queen so she can put their medals on. :)

agree about honours for sallis and truly and several others who have given huge service to so many over the years, especially when you see so many talentless oafs being recognised.......was dame thora the only one of the regulars with an honour does anyone know.....has jean alexander had any recognition...?

I wonder if we need a touch of realism here. I do not expect this to make me popular but why change the habits of a long and frequently combative lifetime. It was most unfortunate that the powers that be lifted the ghastly and whinging Forsyth to knighthood (KBE) but should we further demean the honours by over-rewarding. He had already been awarded the OBE and later the CBE, even the former of which were above his limited talents and contribution to society.

( For those who are unaware of the Honours system try: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_British_Empire

I always have in mind the wise words of William Schwenk Gilbert in "The Gondoliers":

DON AL. That King, although no one denies
His heart was of abnormal size,
Yet he'd have acted otherwise
If he had been acuter.
The end is easily foretold,
When every blessed thing you hold
Is made of silver, or of gold,
You long for simple pewter.
When you have nothing else to wear
But cloth of gold and satins rare,
For cloth of gold you cease to care—
Up goes the price of shoddy.

MAR. and GIU. Of shoddy, up goes the price of shoddy.

DON AL. In short, whoever you may be,
To this conclusion you'll agree,
When every one is somebodee,
Then no one's anybody!

MAR. and GIU. Now that's as plain as plain can be,
To this conclusion we agree—

ALL. When every one is somebodee,
Then no one's anybody!

Note the final truism; "When everyone is somebody, then no one's anybody".

Ignore the dreaded Forsyth and consider who in the performing arts got what level of award.

Highest that I recall is Lawrence Olivier who was made a Baron. Not possible now with the current status of the House of Lords. He also had a Order of Merit.

Then there are the knights (KBE), Sir John Gielgud (also Order of Merit and Companion of Honour), Sir Michael Redgrave, Sir Alec Guinness (also Companion of Honour) and Sir Michael Gambon. I do question the standard of the last by comparison with the earlier listed.

On the writing side, and it is my contention that in respect of LOTSW the highest award should go to Roy Clarke, there are Sir Alan Ayckbourn and Sir John Mortimer - writer of Rumpole - not sure how much was due to writing and how much to law - he was a QC. Interesting, Leo McKern who played Rumpole had the Australian equivalent of the OBE.

So LOTSW folk:
Highest was Dame Thora but her charity work was a major contributor to her knighthood equivalent.
June Whitfield has a CBE.
Roy Clarke, Peter Sallis, Burt Kwouk, Dora Bryan have the OBE
Bill Owen got the MBE and there was an element of contribution to charity in that.

So, a touch of realism, Roy Clarke certainly to CBE but maybe he values his lifetime achievement award at the 2010 British Comedy Awards more. I certainly see merit in the concept of an order of awards for the arts - an extended Order of Merit maybe.

all rather complicated eh....but glad to have the information big unc on the honours the cast have for whatever reason, thank you.

I am, as always Unc, on your team. I like to see the honors go to the ordinary man in the street who has contibuted in some way to charities etc. I knew a man who worked for Whimpey (sp) the builders that is not the burger place. They were awarded one OBE for good works, so they pulled a name out of a hat to see who got it. My friend was so proud of it, it made me laugh.
You couldn't make it up

Well, to me this is all Greek anyway, all that tradition and honour and whatnot. It´s all a bit strange to people who don´t live in such a system. I can think of only one honour here in Germany at the moment, and this is given very rarely.

Well, to me this is all Greek anyway, all that tradition and honour and whatnot. It´s all a bit strange to people who don´t live in such a system. I can think of only one honour here in Germany at the moment, and this is given very rarely.

what's that then?

Unusuall role for Ronnie Barker in last night's film on ITV, the General in "My House in Umbria".

Noted in reviewing it that Maggie Smith has Knighthood (equvialent) and Ronnie Barker an OBE - same as Roy Clarke and Peter Sallis, as does Tomothy Spall (also in film).

I think he deserves one, shame Richard Briers has passed away as I think he deserves one too and Daniel Day Lewis. How people like Elton John and Mick Jagger get knighthoods and the talentless Chris Hoy is beyond me.

I think he deserves one, shame Richard Briers has passed away as I think he deserves one too and Daniel Day Lewis. How people like Elton John and Mick Jagger get knighthoods and the talentless Chris Hoy is beyond me.

Richard Briers was almost there with a CBE. Not sure Daniel Day Lewis would accept one - I seem to recall he considers himself Irish now. But I still think we must beware of the "price of shoddy" syndrome, viz:
When you have nothing else to wear
But cloth of gold and satins rare,
For cloth of gold you cease to care—
Up goes the price of shoddy.
In short, whoever you may be,
To this conclusion you'll agree,
When every one is somebodee,
Then no one's anybody!

Concur on Jagger and John, particularly Jagger. Come into the miserable Forsyth class, i.e. 3C.

Cannot help but think you have confused Chris Hoy with someone else (unless this is a blatant and unwarranted attack on sporting prowess).

Back