Was Dougie Roy Clarke's Experiment For An Auntie Wainwright Sort Of Character?

When I was a child there was a shop in our village called The Barleymow. It was a bit like a cross between Aunties shop and the Two Ronnies hardware store. You know, the fork handles/ four candles place. Everything seemed huge and dark, and I always seemed to come home with something that drove my mother nuts!

I love those shops, I hadn't been round one in years then a couple of months ago I found one in Market Harbough, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. I bought myself a shopping basket I'd been looking for one for years. Alas my husband dragged me out before I could do to much damage to the bank balance but I've swear to go back ;D

There used to be a great one in Crickhowell. There were three long sections to it. The first one was sort of like an ironmongers, all the sorts of things my Dad wanted for his shed. Bits of string, bolts, candles, (practical ones, not fancy smelly ones) little shovels and woodwork stuff. The second section was more kitchen/household things, like preserving jars, muslin, proper pans, and the third was chaos! It was everything from pegs to baskets, notepads to saddlesoap! I loved it. Last time I visited it there was a big change. It was all touristy. Expensive scarves, 'Gift from Wales Fudge' rubbish, twee mugs and insence sticks. You know the way things change. Shame. The original shop was a brilliant mess that let your imagination run away with you. This shop is just a money grabbing rip off.

Back