Was Dougie Roy Clarke's Experiment For An Auntie Wainwright Sort Of Character?

J

jrt2345

Just watched 'Serenade For Tight Jeans and Metal Detector' and notice that 'Dougie's' is a second hand shop, with a lot of things in the window and outside. Also Clegg refers to him being 'a red hot salesman', much like Auntie Wainwright. Could there be a connection between these two characters, or maybe it was in Roy Clarke's mind to introduce Auntie Wainwright but was just experimenting? ???

Just watched 'Serenade For Tight Jeans and Metal Detector' and notice that 'Dougie's' is a second hand shop, with a lot of things in the window and outside. Also Clegg refers to him being 'a red hot salesman', much like Auntie Wainwright. Could there be a connection between these two characters, or maybe it was in Roy Clarke's mind to introduce Auntie Wainwright but was just experimenting? ???

Rather a long time between - seven years.

I know, but Roy might have thought it was not such a good idea, but then in later years was struggling with new characters and may have remembered Dougie and that might have been where Auntie came from? ???

I have often thought this too, the "red hot sales person" comment was what got me thinking.
It is a long time between characters but maybe he was looking for the right person or opportunity!

I know, but Roy might have thought it was not such a good idea, but then in later years was struggling with new characters and may have remembered Dougie and that might have been where Auntie came from? ???

Put that way round it makes more sense - Clarke looking back and thinking how he could set a new character. Developed a long running comedy line for Clegg as well - unable to resist Auntie's wiles.

In a way Dougie was not the first hardline salesman the trio met. I am thinking of Walter in "The New Mobile Trio".

I haven't seen that for some time, will try and get to watch it some time soon. Clegg's reluctance did cause a lot of laughs between him and Auntie Wainwright, the fact that he only went in a few times, but he wasn't the only one reluctant, Barry often was when Glenda dragged him in to buy a hat because she thought he would look good in a hat.

personally i like 2 think that roy clarke noticed he had a successful character in arkwright in open all hours and tht sort of character would be great as a 1 off in summer wine and if the character had legs they would carry on in summer wine, well thats what i think but im probly way wrong

No, I think you may be right, but then again it finished in 1981, but again I think that is what he felt. He would also have felt the need to experiment a bit, so having Dougie was the experiment, and later it became Auntie.

As I recall we never met Dougie in Serenade For Tight Jeans and Metal Detector. We did see the exterior of the shop.

I the same particular series just two episodes before in A Bicycle Made For Three we met Dirk, aka Percy.

It did seem strange two have two different characters running similar shops in the same series.

Yes, it appears LOTSW is full of second hand shops, or rather Holmfirth and surrounding areas are.

As I recall we never met Dougie in Serenade For Tight Jeans and Metal Detector. We did see the exterior of the shop.

I the same particular series just two episodes before in A Bicycle Made For Three we met Dirk, aka Percy.

It did seem strange two have two different characters running similar shops in the same series.
pity Percy wasnt seen again.

Was Dougie and short Jeans and Metal Detector around the same time as Open All Hours? I always thought of Auntie Wainwright as Roy Clarke's female reincarnation of Arkwright from Open All Hours. She is a bit of an exaggerated version of either Dougie or Arkwright.

Was Dougie and short Jeans and Metal Detector around the same time as Open All Hours? I always thought of Auntie Wainwright as Roy Clarke's female reincarnation of Arkwright from Open All Hours. She is a bit of an exaggerated version of either Dougie or Arkwright.

Open all Hours

Pilot - March 1973 (Just after LOTSW pilot - one of "Seven of One" episodes)
Series #1 - Early 1976 (Bit of a gap but before LOTSW Series #3 the same year)
Series #2 - Early 1981 (Big gap - before 1981 Christmas Special "Whoops" and Series #6)
Series #3 - Early 1982 (Just after LOTSW Series #6 which started January and included "Tight Jeans etc")
Series #4 - Lateish 1985 (After LOTSW Series #8, Foggy's last series for a while)

Auntie first showed in "Crums", 1988 Christmas Special after Series #10 so there was a bit of a gap since the last of Arkwright. Both shows had a spot in the 1982 Christmas Special, "The Funny Side of Christmas".

There ia a antique and collectables shop in Heathfield in east sussex called aunty wainwrights i have never been in in case i am sold somthing. :)

I like Clegg's oft-repeated line 'I didn't buy it, I was sold it'.

I also like Compo losing his temper as Auntie Wainwright persists in trying to sell him a wardrobe. (It's always a wardrobe...)

Auntie had some cracking lines. I loved the tannoy voice over whenever people came into the shop.

We had a shop like that near to wear we lived and Auntie always reminds of the old woman that ran it. I only ever went in if I had back up :D

When I was a child there was a shop in our village called The Barleymow. It was a bit like a cross between Aunties shop and the Two Ronnies hardware store. You know, the fork handles/ four candles place. Everything seemed huge and dark, and I always seemed to come home with something that drove my mother nuts!

Back