Tom Surname-ite

Barrychuckle

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure if anyone has picked up on Toms surname before, but as the story goes Compo didn't know he had a son, at least not until very late in his life. Therefore if this were the case it would seem very odd of his mother to give him his fathers surname as they likely didn't see one another after or shortly after the 'event' (I'm aware this is family forum!!!!:p)

Am I missing something here or has anyone else wondered about his surname before?

Unless Tom's mother was Compo's wife. The one who ran off with the chuffing pole. It would have worked then as she would be Mrs Simmonite and Tom would have naturally taken her name. What exactly do we know about Tom's mother?

If Tom's mother was Compo's ex wife then Compo would have known about his son and vice versa so I don't think that was the case.

I think as Tom was thrust into the series at very short notice in difficult circumstances little attention was paid to his back story.

In the letter to Compo, Tom writes "How come it took you this long to get in touch?" so Compo must have known he had a son.

You'd probably be better than me in recalling episodes, but certainly in the earlier episodes Compo gives the impression he's not a parent, I'm not sure if it's implied or explicitly stated. That's why I got the impression he only found out in his later years, but of course this is all conjecture

Speaking of some of his rough 'birds' Compo says "there's a lot of mileage to be had at that end of the market"
So he may well have put one in the family way?

I thought this was clearly explained when Tom was introduced. His mother told him his father had died in the war, meaning she was one of Compo's wartime girlfriends. Tom didn't find out until later (after his mother died?) that she hadn't told him the truth. I think the "why did it take you so long to get in touch" thing is probably a reference to Compo not immediately responding to a letter from Tom, but maybe I'm wrong.

I thought this was clearly explained when Tom was introduced. His mother told him his father had died in the war, meaning she was one of Compo's wartime girlfriends. Tom didn't find out until later (after his mother died?) that she hadn't told him the truth. I think the "why did it take you so long to get in touch" thing is probably a reference to Compo not immediately responding to a letter from Tom, but maybe I'm wrong.
Still don't think it's that straightforward, by telling Tom that his father had been killed in the war she clearly didn't want him tracking down his dad, so why increase the possibility of her lie being uncovered by giving Tom that surname?

Back