The Summerwine.net music thread

"Gentle on My Mind"- Glen Campbell

I return to this rendition of the song a couple times a year. It's an outstanding performance for sure, but look at how all of those country music legends look on in admiration and affection at Campbell the artist and the man.

The forthcoming Springsteen album, Only the Strong Survive includes songs popularised by Frank Wilson, Jackie Shane, Jimmy Ruffin and the Walker Brothers.Also this great cover of The Commodores Nightshift.

Sorry John that is just awful and I cant imagine covering those other songs is going to work on that showing give it up Mr S . Many artists think its a good idea to put their stamp on classic songs and think their status in the industry will carry them through but it doesn't work , notably McCartney when he did that album of classic songs that his dad listened to was just shocking.

Sorry John that is just awful and I cant imagine covering those other songs is going to work on that showing give it up Mr S . Many artists think its a good idea to put their stamp on classic songs and think their status in the industry will carry them through but it doesn't work , notably McCartney when he did that album of classic songs that his dad listened to was just shocking.
I don't think any artist (apart from Kanye West:fp: ) would think that their interpretations are ever going to outdo the classics they cover, I'm sure it's never the goal. For me it's just appreciation for the high standards set by artists they admire. I'm sure Springsteen's legions will appreciate this admiration and respect.

I don't think any artist (apart from Kanye West:fp: ) would think that their interpretations are ever going to outdo the classics they cover, I'm sure it's never the goal. For me it's just appreciation for the high standards set by artists they admire. I'm sure Springsteen's legions will appreciate this admiration and respect.

Who says covers can't be better than the originals?? :p
:p :p

Its as if they are bored with their own stuff or have a writing block and decide right lets do a covers album , why bother if you are as rich as McCartney or Springsteen just rest on your pile of cash, sponsor upcoming musos or go out on the road . I don't mind as much if they maybe change the genre of the song but even then !!

Often listen to Tony Blackburn play songs from the sixties on a Saturday morning on BBC2 or his golden hour on a Sunday . On the Golden Hour yesterday he played the record that changed everything musically in the UK Rock Around the Clock by Bill Haley and his Comets and apologies if I have posted this before but the two writers Max Freedman and James Myers undoubtedly purloined bits from this song by Hank Williams which was recorded and released in 1947 which given the status RATC holds is just astounding.

Back