The Summerwine.net music thread

I finally returned to my local concert Hall last night after almost a two year wait . It is hard to express in words how great I felt and it was just superb. The band were Nearly Dan a tribute to Steely Dan they were just brilliant . I was talking to the guy next to me and he says Becker and Fagen got to hear of them and went to see them at the Stables in Wavendon how unnerving is that . If there are any Dan fans on the site I urge you to check them out . IF you are patient they are actually playing the Picturdome[hopefully] in Holmfirth so you could combine a visit with the gig . Sadly it is not until June 11th 2022 but hopefully we will be on top of Covid by then and we are free to enjoy what would be a brilliant gig.

Just wanted to mention that December 17th marks the 50th Anniversary of the release of one of what I consider his best and one of the best albums ever [sure people will disagree] I give you David Bowie's Hunky Dory , half a century ago where have all the years gone :(

I went to see the Unthanks at Harrogate after I saw them on tv when they won an award for best song Mount the air,they were brilliant,there was about fifteen on stage because they said they wanted to recreate the sound of the album,although I think there’s only four in the actual band,Rachael and Becky Unthank and their husbands,they performed a song called The testimony of Patience Kershaw which haunted me and was a true story and led to me looking up the real story of her,which stayed with me.

I am a HUGE fan of The Cocteau Twins......and Liz Frazer's haunting voice always takes me away to a different place.
The music of The Unthanks has a earthy beautiful unspoilt quality that is simply unique.
They are ethereal....something not of this modern world.
The lyrics that the girls sing are a musical social history ....close your eyes and you are "there".
We are truly blessed to have them.

I am a HUGE fan of The Cocteau Twins......and Liz Frazer's haunting voice always takes me away to a different place.
The music of The Unthanks has a earthy beautiful unspoilt quality that is simply unique.
They are ethereal....something not of this modern world.
The lyrics that the girls sing are a musical social history ....close your eyes and you are "there".
We are truly blessed to have them.
I couldn’t agree more. I still listen mainly to punk/ ska /reggae/ folk as I have done since I went to my first gig 43 odd years ago but vocals from groups like the Cocteau Twins , X mal deutschland even Kate Bush gets me every time.
Also a big fan of a native of yours Moody, part time legend and full time rock star Pete Wylie. Loved Wah Heat and glad to see he’s touring again all be it in his own. I would love to see a full blown Might Wah gig again . RIP Josie Jones.

CHUFFER !!!!...I know Eddie and Gary quite well !!!!.....HE HAS TOP BANTER with the audience !!!...good Kirkby lads !!!....and the longevity is amazing...their first album came out in.......1982 !!!!....MY LORD....THAT MAKES ME FEEL REALLY OLD !!!!...A VERY UNDERATED BAND...I THINK "CHRISTIAN" IS STILL ABSOLUTELY AMAZING....from 1982 it still sounds fresh and beautiful.
x!

FERRET...I went to see Heaven 17 a few weeks ago in Liverpool.......and who walks on "The bard of Aigburth Road"...looking resplendent in his big parka...and big fat red face !!!!.....he played all the old stuff we both love,and the banter was his usual high standard !!!...a one off mate !!!!....a good Scouser !!!.
X!
Brilliant. I was due to see him at the Picturedrome in Holmfirth a few years ago but the promoter pulled it at the last minute, I was gutted.

Back