The Summerwine.net music thread

Dead Kennedy’s i like. I must admit to not being a fan of the Misfits but then again i haven’t really given them much of a listen. I like a bit of an eclectic mix these days but always fall back on the groups i used to go and see... Clash/ Damned/ Stranglers/PIL/DEVO/Morrissey/ Mighty Wah/Beat/Specials/Ruts. I still go to the occasional gig but usually go to little festivals. I have seen the reformed Damned, Ruts, UK Subs, Specials recently. It’s probably not going to happen here in the UK but I would love to see DEVO again. I saw the footage from their gig in the USA last year and it looked great.
Give the proper, early Misfits a try. Not the flogging a dead product 'newfits' or 'unfits' stuff.
Other than that, most of the bands you mention are high up on my likes.
As much as I love the Pistols and PIL, I can't get past that Lydon, nowadays is an absolute disgrace to the ethos/genre that he once was at the forefront of. Having said that, it comes as no real surprise, he's a strange fella, same as Mark E Smith from The Fall. Trying to pin them down to a set of values was like nailing jelly to the wall.

Yes I know what you mean. Not sure how much is wind up with John Lydon nowadays. I try as much as I can to separate the music i love from the views of the singer but it’s getting harder! I saw the Smiths a few times and love some of Morrissey’s solo stuff but he doesn’t do himself any favours. There’s some great interview footage of ME Smith on YouTube that makes you feel sorry for the interview but it’s cracking viewing. Over 100 members of the Fall!! On a side note i bumped into Marc Riley in between lockdowns in our local charity shop!

Yes I know what you mean. Not sure how much is wind up with John Lydon nowadays. I try as much as I can to separate the music i love from the views of the singer but it’s getting harder! I saw the Smiths a few times and love some of Morrissey’s solo stuff but he doesn’t do himself any favours. There’s some great interview footage of ME Smith on YouTube that makes you feel sorry for the interview but it’s cracking viewing. Over 100 members of the Fall!! On a side note i bumped into Marc Riley in between lockdowns in our local charity shop!
Ferret, I feel exactly the same I love the Smiths but I can't stand Morrissey, his was one of the few autobiographies I abandoned as I disliked him even more after reading it. You cannot deny his musical genius, but like the rest of his fellow band members I've not no time for the man!

You saw The Smiths live, you're so lucky I've seen videos of some of his live sets and they're absolutely amazing, gladioli and all!!!!

I saw them at Glastonbury, the 10th Summer Festival in Manchester in ‘86 and on the Meat is Murder tour at the Palace theatre in Manchester. I count myself lucky to have been going to clubs / gigs since ‘79 in Manchester and have met some interesting people. Some of the best gigs were at the Hacienda when it was a live music venue before acid house took over in the 80’s. There’s only the Apollo, Ritz and Band on the Wall venues still going today that we used to go to. Happy days.

I have just enjoyed a trip down memory lane , found an album of Classic Sixties TV theme tunes which I have played . it has some iconic songs on it . I stumbled on it after searching for a copy of High Wire the theme to Danger Man which sounds as good as it did way way back then . I found it on Spotify , there is a real mix of theme songs on there Man in a Suitcase , Whicker's World , The Avengers . Hopefully I have wetted your appetite and you look it up .

Adding this as a huge fan of the sadly missed J J Cale here playing with Eric Clapton who is so many fans and musicians top guitarist ever but he himself was a huge fan and admirer of J J Cale which speaks volumes about how good J J Cale was . His widow said that whilst people bought his records and saw him in concert " they ain't seen and heard the best " those songs were played on the porch of their house .

There's a Jazz Request show plays out on Radio 3 every Sunday and this week someone had requested the Temperance Seven's you're driving me crazy . It wasn't you by any chance Tony?

Back