The attack of the peppermill

gothic

Administrator
Staff member
I have been with Mildred the mug for over twelve years, you know how it is, you get used to something, it becomes part of your every day life.
So I hear a commotion in the kitchen and it's Mildred the mug being beaten up by Pete the peppermill! It looks like Pete ambushed Mildred from above, you can guess who came off worse!
IMG_0290.jpg

So, I can now announce the arrival of Mildred's replacement, Phillida the phine studio pottery mug:

IMG_0291.jpg

She's a handsome beast, is she not :D

Peace reigns in the Gothic home, Pete the peppermill is in detention (well, at least until the steak tonight) and alls right with the World.

I have been with Mildred the mug for over twelve years, you know how it is, you get used to something, it becomes part of your every day life.
So I hear a commotion in the kitchen and it's Mildred the mug being beaten up by Pete the peppermill! It looks like Pete ambushed Mildred from above, you can guess who came off worse!
View attachment 6776

So, I can now announce the arrival of Mildred's replacement, Phillida the phine studio pottery mug:

View attachment 6777

Peace reigns in the Gothic home, Pete the peppermill is in detention (well, at least until the steak tonight) and alls right with the World.
It's like a bereavement when you break a favourite mug, cup or even your best-loved cereal bowl :44:

View attachment 6776

View attachment 6777

Let this be a lesson to anyone with a limited edition Shinyglow mug!

A work colleague cultivated a thick layer of tannin on his beloved white tin mug[example below] for years until one of the admin team took it upon herself to scrub it clean . You can imagine the angry exchange with most words unrepeatable here . It was done he took hit home , hit it with a lump hammer until it was basically flat , mounted it on a wooden plinth with the words RIP 1969-1982 and presented it to a rather embarrassed and repentant lady .

mug.jpg

Last edited:
A work colleague cultivated a thick layer of tannin on his beloved white tin mug[example below] for years until one of the admin team took it upon herself to scrub it clean . You can imagine the angry exchange with most words unrepeatable here . It was done he took hit home with a lump hammer until it was basically flat , mounted it on a wooden plinth with the words RIP 1969-1982 and presented it to a rather embarrassed and repentant lady .

View attachment 6782
yuk! the amount of bacteria all that tannin would harbour doesn't bear thinking about!

A work colleague cultivated a thick layer of tannin on his beloved white tin mug[example below] for years until one of the admin team took it upon herself to scrub it clean . You can imagine the angry exchange with most words unrepeatable here . It was done he took hit home , hit it with a lump hammer until it was basically flat , mounted it on a wooden plinth with the words RIP 1969-1982 and presented it to a rather embarrassed and repentant lady .

View attachment 6782
Unfortunately, administrative assistants often are "volunteered" to clean out the office refrigerator or to do other "tasks" that fall under the "other duties as required" that are needed to support the office. And yes, this admin team person did not have to clean the cup, but she obviously so bothered by the state of the cup that cleaning it sort of just "happened." I am not condoning but explaining her mind set.

Unfortunately, administrative assistants often are "volunteered" to clean out the office refrigerator or to do other "tasks" that fall under the "other duties as required" that are needed to support the office. And yes, this admin team person did not have to clean the cup, but she obviously so bothered by the state of the cup that cleaning it sort of just "happened." I am not condoning but explaining her mind set.
You have reminded me of something there, I've spent most of my working life working in various offices and the state of the fridges always made me gasp. As they were communal fridges shared by the entire office, no one ever seemed to take ownership of them. I recall stale food with inch long mold growing out of it left in there on many occasions, people just used to put their daily sandwiches etc in a different part of the fridge!!!! It always struck me as bizarre that no one ever took ownership and cleaned it out. BTW I never used said fridge for anything, hence my excuse for not doing it my self :p

I like you Barry have worked in many offices with communal fridges and all the things you mention I have experienced in one there was a pack of Corned beef and onion sandwiches that were 6 months out of date but no one had the courage to move them . My other abiding memory were the milk thieves those who would use anyone else's milk and never bring their own . A quick resolution brought great results by doctoring a bottle with tabasco sauce , you can put a fair amount of it in milk without changing the milk colour . The results are stunning and a great way to catch culprits , it does seem a little drastic and perhaps irresponsible but the constant purloining of other people's milk is equally distasteful .

The communal office kitchen..... I think peoples domestic abilities go out of the window where these are concerned!

Not only were the fridges a mess and there was always someone who'd leave a food item in the fridge to rot, but no one else would move them. The cups in the sink was another they'd pile up unwashed, everyone would swear blind they didn't leave them there but stubbornly refuse to wash them. I can recall on a few occasions management having to call meetings to give the staff the the three line whip on the unacceptable state of the shared facilities!!!!!

Back