Tea Time questions.

Rick ,

My friends and I are frequent visitors to Alicante the Castle there is magnificent. I love going up there [they have dug out a tunnel into the rock under it and installed a lift to take you up , its only a couple of Euros to get in fantastic architecture , history and views ] . There is a wonderful gallery of old photos and I took a double take at one . There is a picture of some old fisherman and the one on the left of the shot is the double of Kevin Rowland from Dexys Midnight Runners [hope you have heard of them Come on Eileen was number one for ages a while back ] . I have included a stock photo of the castle and one of my photos from the top. We spend hours up there just admiring the view and then we walk the Castle /City walls down back into the city .

alicante castle.jpg IMG_0481.JPG

IMG_0480 (2).JPG kevin rowland.jpg

Ya have to try for a little riotous behavior every now and then, Dick. ;)

Great photo of the castle and area captain. I can see why you like it there. Imagine looking out your balcony and seeing that view of the harbor. You are right about the singer looking like the man in the photo. I am familiar with the group and like the song Come on Eileen - a classic. Do not know enough about them to know their names or what they look like.

I see Alicante is near Benidorm. Have heard that referenced in a British show somewhere. Must be a nice vacation spot.

Rick, Benidorm was a british comedy made for tv, very funny at first but not so funny nowadays, has been going some years. As re castles there are quite a number in Yorkshire, lots are in ruins, some still lived in, York is the place to be for historic places. Pontefract castle is a couple of miles from where I live but was knocked about a great deal, especially by the victorians! Its just had £millions spent on it too.

Alicante is great Rick, as Billy says Benidorm is a comedy show on the commercial ITV channel has its moments stars Sherrie Hewson who was in a few of the Carry on's her " love interest" was one John Challis , Boycie from Only Fools and Horses and of course Jeremy the so called Safe Cracker and Jewel Thief from LOTSW. Personally I am happy to watch the show but not overly keen on the resort too much like being home in the UK but with hotter weather.

Yes Billy, the Garveys were stalwarts of the show and provided some of the funniest incidents especially Madge along with Johnny Vegas and his Mum.

Oh, OK. I was a little confused for a moment. Did not know there was a show called Benidorm. Only recognized the name when I saw it from a online map of Alicante when I zoomed out to see where it was.

I just remember the name being mentioned in some show(s) as I thought a location. Possibly Sybil from Fawlty Towers? Unsure where I heard it or how often. Just looked and Fawlty Towers was made before the tv show Benidorm. I may need to seek out and watch some of the TV show Benidorm as well.

Rick ,

My friends and I are frequent visitors to Alicante the Castle there is magnificent. I love going up there [they have dug out a tunnel into the rock under it and installed a lift to take you up , its only a couple of Euros to get in fantastic architecture , history and views ] . There is a wonderful gallery of old photos and I took a double take at one . There is a picture of some old fisherman and the one on the left of the shot is the double of Kevin Rowland from Dexys Midnight Runners [hope you have heard of them Come on Eileen was number one for ages a while back ] . I have included a stock photo of the castle and one of my photos from the top. We spend hours up there just admiring the view and then we walk the Castle /City walls down back into the city .

View attachment 2848 View attachment 2849

View attachment 2850 View attachment 2851
That is a great view Captain. I have heard of Dexys Midnight Runners but must admit that when I first heard of them I thought it was a new laxative.

Rick,

The show is filmed in a real Benidorm Hotel the Sol Pelecanos and Ocas . I understand it remains open to guests during filming with the show occupying one half of the Hotel and the guests staying in the other . The show has a famous bar that purports to be in the Hotel called the Neptune Bar where all the Cabaret acts and people in the show perform music and comedy but in real life its the Morgan Tavern and is situated further down the road from the real Hotel . If you get a chance to view it from the start it would be worth a watch however, as the series progressed toward the few final series it started to look tired and the plots are thin .

I was there in April and I can confirm the above is all correct. However I would discourage anybody from visiting Benidorm, it was my first and last visit. It's like the wild west, the perfect place if you want to find drugs, fights and prostitution on every street corner. We're definitely visiting Holmfirth instead next time!!!!

I was there in April and I can confirm the above is all correct. However I would discourage anybody from visiting Benidorm, it was my first and last visit. It's like the wild west, the perfect place if you want to find drugs, fights and prostitution on every street corner. We're definitely visiting Holmfirth instead next time!!!!

That's exactly why we stay in Alicante itself when we go and we tend to take a litle boat trip to Tabarca island which is great or tram to Play San Juan which is miles of golden sand , promenade and great little beach bars without crowds. The attached was taken at Playa San Juan in June last year hardly anyone there just how we like it .

IMG_0898.JPG

sounds like just the place for me and peri! :p:p
Maybe at one time Billy but these days my excitements are becoming more and more diminished. I do remember the dot that used to appear on the telly when you switched it off. My last bit of excitement was watching two moths indulging a bit of sexual activity. I have a photo of them somewhere. I must find it and post it. o_O

Hi @captain clutterbuck ,

I was watching some episodes of the show Brush Strokes from the mid '80s and noticed that Dexys Midnight Runners are listed as doing the theme song. Saw that and thought of this thread and you talking about DMR.

Thanks for posting that Rick . They were at their height of fame in the eighties. Kevin Rowland is the mainstay keeps reinventing himself they started as a Soul band then switched to Irish Folk style music with the huge Too -Rye - Ay album which spurned Come on Eileen played pretty much at every wedding/Birthday party I and probably others have attended .

Because of You , the song you mention Rick, came after their height of fame and the band split pretty much after recording the song . He keeps reviving it from time to time but he will never recapture the heights of Too- Rye -Ay however he can probably afford to live comfortably from the royalties of Come on Eileen.

Nice, I had not thought about the midday meal being larger than the evening meal. I grew up with the larger meal in the evening.
Apparently, you didn't grow up on a farm. On our farm in upstate New York, breakfast was a large meal served at 7 AM, when Dad came in from having done the milking starting at about 5:45. The midday meal was large as well, served at noon, and was called dinner. The evening meal was somewhat lighter, served at 5:30 and was called supper. It was followed by another hour's work in the barn, doing the evening milking. Dad came back in the house at about 7 PM and would make a Tin Roof sundae for a bedtime snack. The rest of us didn't need any more food, since we hadn't done any heavy physical labor after supper.

None of us took a break during the morning or afternoon, so no morning coffee break or elevenses and no afternoon coffee break or tea. None of our meals were light enough to be called "tea", either.

Remember in the first two seasons of LOTSW, there were several referances to Blamire's landlady having his tea ready for 5 o'clock and apparently woe betide him if he wasn't there for it on time? He was a boarder in her house, apparently on a half-board basis, designed for working tenants. The landlady would provide breakfast, possibly full English, and a tea substantial enough to qualify as a meal to carry one through the night. The tenant was expected to leave the house after breakfast, eat dinner out, and not return to the house until tea time at 5:00. And remember at the end of the pilot episode, Clegg mentions getting a sausage for his tea. That later tea time was actually the evening meal and included protein, eggs, fish or meat.

I wonder how I did it some times, 3 teenagers, 2 jobs and a house. Him in doors tried to help but it wasn't worth the hassle, he was off one week so volunteered to do the shopping! I gave him a list, written with the shop layout in mind, all he had to do was walk clockwise, he couldn't find the washing up liquid so bought beer instead and because I didn't specify a brand of butter he just bought one of each! I gave up in the end. I blame the hormons, anything that has to shave every day obviously can't cope with shopping.
There's an old joke that goes like this. A man and son are sent to the store with a list by his wife. Father says to the son, "We have to mess this up real good." Son asks why. Father says, "That's so we'll never have to do this again."

There's an old joke that goes like this. A man and son are sent to the store with a list by his wife. Father says to the son, "We have to mess this up real good." Son asks why. Father says, "That's so we'll never have to do this again."
He values is life more.

Thank you Marianna that was very helpful. I've always been one to enjoy some cereal or hot oatmeal for breakfast (with toast and whatever). So it sounds like my breakfast routines were not as large or heavy as others. The mention of Tin Roof Sundaes takes me back :D. I am glad I asked because it is interesting how others around the world eat and when.

The early references to LotSW are great and explain things that I heard as I watched but did not realize what they actually meant. I must have completely missed the Blamire reference to the eating arrangement with his landlady. That explains a lot as to why Nora wanted Smiler out of the house as soon as he finished breakfast.

Back