Stand by to repel boarders!

Brian Johns

Dedicated Member
:17:Hey hey hey...just booked my trip to Britain and the land of Summer Wine! :37::42:.

First time out of Oz since I came here back in 196cough!

No need to panic though I will not be invading until July next year, still exciting booking the trip and looking forward to it!!!!

They wouldn't let me drive the plane, so I have booked a seat just behind the pilot! heheheheee:08:;)

Great News for you Brian I'm sure it will feel like home from home when you get here . I'm amazed at the number of your fellow countryman over here you are bound to bump into someone . For a time we even had an Aussie theme bar in Newcastle with the obligatory stuffed Croc on the wall but it closed a couple of years back sadly because it was one of the better bars in town . I am sure you will be counting the days .

It better feel like home, because IT IS!! :18: A long time ago though! A child of the 50's (God I am getting old) from the north where the money is different! LOL

Already got maps etc and am planning the whole thing WITH of course a couple of days in LOTSW country!!! I intend to emulate N02 son and go in Sid's Café and visit
other filming sites just so I can see for myself all the wonderful locations!

Still spending white fivers and ten bob notes up here [or at least trying to] , you can't eat Christmas pudding without breaking your teeth on a tanner where I come from . I thought you might be an ex Pom . If you manage to get around some of the Yorkshire villages like Haworth and Hawes you might spot something that will jog your memories of your childhood , certainly some of the museums will .

I had heard of fivers when I was young but never seen,. Had seen a few ten bob notes in the old fashioned 'magic wallet' used by the greengrocery roundsman, Len, when he was checking his money while having a cup of tea at my Grandmother's.

Have an old pound note signed by the infamous local Tyneside comedian "the Little Waster" Bobby Thompson who had a surge in national popularity for a short period . He was even interviewed on Wogan , pretty much sure Sir Terry never understood a word he said , even though he could do a "good posh" which he used in his act when he was telling tales of the Queen and Prince Philip.

It was given to a grandmother on her 65th birthday and its actually his money ,not hers, which is even more astonishing as to Bobby had a reputation for being careful with his money later in life after being a failed gambler. One of his stage props was a packet of woodbine cigarettes and they were antique by the time he finished working , the original packet he started his act with many years ago .

UPDATE: Just booked and confirmed accommodation for most of my trip. I am leaving a few days unplanned to allow me to vary things. I will be there from July 7 to 22, going to go to Duxford on the first weekend for their airshow (Bit of an aircraft geek..especially the old ones which we do not get over here, Spits, Hurricanes, Messerschmitts and lots more...just watched a Youtube video of the IWM at Duxford and it will take me weeks to get the drool off the carpet!!!!:08: ) Then booked in for 3 nights in the Huddersfield area before heading to the Heather land up north!
Got my hire car booked and paid for as well so now all I have to do is wait 9 months before I can visit Sid's café! You have all been warned..EVACUATE NOW!!!!!:37::12::13:

Not ALL the aussies...just little old me, and actually I am still a BRITISH citizen!!! But you are right...Be Afraid, be VERY afraid!!:33::tongue:

As long as you bring some of that Aussie Sun , a few tinnies for the boys and some tucka for the picnic you will be welcome , better bring some corks for your hat most of our wine is now screw top [ think that covers most of the Austrailian Cliches :)]

Just to prove I am British (& strange) I hate the Aussie sun, I am SCOTTISH...with associated skin colour. If the sun even peeks over the horizon I burn and the older I get the worse it becomes. I now get 3rd degree burns from a photo of a sunny day.
Now for the strange part.....I am as I said Scottish AND I am a retired plod, neither of which is known for sobriety however I am teetotal and always have been. Not for any religious or moral reasons, I just hate the taste of the sh*t.:eek:

Corks on hats went out with Kangaroo racing, the REASON for the corks however still continues... i.e. FLIES. Those things can find someone in the middle of nowhere in the blink of an eye. Several outback (and not so outback) towns have slogans along the lines of "It is a good place to visit..30 million flies can't be wrong!"
TUCKER is not for a picnic (Too sissy) but can be brought to a Barbie (BBQ) which usually consist of slabs of steak, beef sausages and chops of both beef and lamb..:37:
Dead cows and sheep feature highly in the diet!:sneaky:. I remember upsetting a "tin rattler" once who was collecting for some animal welfare charity. She made the mistake of asking if I liked animals...my reply... "I love animals, some of them are absolutely delicious!!"
(Ok now that I have upset most of you with that comment, I will exit....stage left!):01::12::devilish:

Corks on hats went out with Kangaroo racing, the REASON for the corks however still continues... i.e. FLIES. Those things can find someone in the middle of nowhere in the blink of an eye. Several outback (and not so outback) towns have slogans along the lines of "It is a good place to visit..30 million flies can't be wrong!"

"We come all the way out here and there's a creepy crawly on me cap! How did it know we were going to be here ??:unsure::geek::cautious:

Countdown is GO! Just been to the Cancer quacks for my 1 year MOT...passed with flying colours :37: so nothing holding me back (except this damn cracked rib....don't ask... I was acting my IQ not my age:12:)
Almost time to start my yearly LOTSW binge....start at Pilot and then continue straight through to the last Episode.:)

Back