sprouts

Pearl

Administrator
Staff member
Love um or hate um?

I love them, my second eldest granddaughter is a demon sprout eater. Her teacher collared me once and said she'd told the class they were her favourite food and no one believed her, I had to tell everyone they were. Wierd child.

Yes I like a good sprout. But then I was brought up with fresh veg from the garden in those days of yore. Sigh:42:

One of my daughters hated sprouts She would make a small mountain of mash under which she'd hide her sprouts and tell her mother that she'd eaten them but had ,had enough potato :29:

I like them if they're small, so too young to have developed much bitter flavor. To suit my taste, the bigger ones need to be drowned in a strong-flavored sauce.

Marianna

I like the small knobbly ones, not the ones that look like they belong in someones button hole ;)

I buy them on the stalk, they stay fresher longer.

Let me take a wild guess and surmise that these are Brussels Sprouts which is the vegetable under discussion. For everyone's FYI, Brussels Sprouts are supposed to be the IN green vegetable this coming year. So look for all kinds of interesting recipes to appear that include sprouts.

My son is trying a new recipe for sprouts with a balsamic glaze and pine nuts. I'll let you know if it's any good.

I will eat sprouts if offered but have not prepared them myself for many a year.

I like them if they're small, so too young to have developed much bitter flavor. To suit my taste, the bigger ones need to be drowned in a strong-flavored sauce.

Marianna

Marianna, that reminds me of one school where I once taught (in the 1960s) where the food was so bad we resorted to smothering everything in Pan Yan Pickle (not entirely dis-similar to Branston) to make it palatable. As it was a boarding school we were there for all meals including week-ends so could rarely escape the cuisine!

And pubs did not do food in those days - possibly a pickled egg although the Berni Inns were coming in. But they had not reached the King William IV, Spring Hotel, The Green Man and one other which still had sawdust on the floor whose name I can no longer recall.

My son is trying a new recipe for sprouts with a balsamic glaze and pine nuts. I'll let you know if it's any good.

How was it? If you enjoyed them, would your son allow you post the recipe in the recipe section?

Marianna

Anybody from this side of the pond remember the running joke on the Terry Wogan Breakfast Show, concerning sprouts?? For our American cousins ,Wogan started the joke that to have good sprouts ready by Christmas you had to start them in September and simmer them etc till Christmas. It was a spoof that held to the old idea that sprouts usually turned out soggy. It ran for a few years till his show was taken off air and moved to Sunday. My daughters still ask each other if their sprouts are "ready yet" ? :biggrin:

Anybody from this side of the pond remember the running joke on the Terry Wogan Breakfast Show, concerning sprouts?? For our American cousins ,Wogan started the joke that to have good sprouts ready by Christmas you had to start them in September and simmer them etc till Christmas. It was a spoof that held to the old idea that sprouts usually turned out soggy. It ran for a few years till his show was taken off air and moved to Sunday. My daughters still ask each other if their sprouts are "ready yet" ? :biggrin:

Sounds similar to the old joke about American cooking, that everything was cooked to mush in case a guest forgot his false teeth.

Marianna

How was it? If you enjoyed them, would your son allow you post the recipe in the recipe section?

Marianna
The sprouts were good but I wouldn't say excellent. We all enjoyed them but they thought another recipe they had with bacon was better. I'll ask for the recipe. Basically the sprouts were cooked in chicken stock in a slow cooker. Then turned out and topped with a balsamic glaze, parmesan cheese and pine nuts.

The sprouts were good but I wouldn't say excellent. We all enjoyed them but they thought another recipe they had with bacon was better. I'll ask for the recipe. Basically the sprouts were cooked in chicken stock in a slow cooker. Then turned out and topped with a balsamic glaze, parmesan cheese and pine nuts.

I've seen a recipe for oven-roasted sprouts that are then tossed in a balsamic glaze and garnished with toasted pine nuts. Roasting improves every vegetable I can think of off-hand, so I'm going to try that recipe sometime when I'm feeling ambitious.

Marianna

Back