sprouts

I like the small knobbly ones, not the ones that look like they belong in someones button hole ;)

I buy them on the stalk, they stay fresher longer.

Pearl, isn't that what Nora said too, when sending Smiler off. lol

I like Brussels sprouts, broccoli, any kind of green vegetable except lima beans. Never liked them. Blah!

Just Googled lima beans, we know them has butter beans and yes yak...........

The beans that are sold here in tins labeled 'butter beans' are the same shape as the ones labeled 'lima beans', but tinned butter beans are mature, large and white while tinned lima beans are immature, smaller and green. The genus is Phaseolus lunatus — the ones grown by home gardeners in this area are most likely the 'Fordhook' cultivar. I prefer butter beans to limas for their rich, creamy mouth feel. Unfortunately, I can't eat them, or any other legumes, because they disagree with me very badly.

Marianna

The beans that are sold here in tins labeled 'butter beans' are the same shape as the ones labeled 'lima beans', but tinned butter beans are mature, large and white while tinned lima beans are immature, smaller and green. The genus is Phaseolus lunatus — the ones grown by home gardeners in this area are most likely the 'Fordhook' cultivar. I prefer butter beans to limas for their rich, creamy mouth feel. Unfortunately, I can't eat them, or any other legumes, because they disagree with me very badly.

Marianna

The American Indians combined lima beans with corn and called it Succotash.

The American Indians combined lima beans with corn and called it Succotash.

And they grew both, as well as winter squash, in the same hill with a dead fish for fertilizer buried along with the seeds. They called the combination 'the three sisters'.

Corn is a heavy consumer of nutrients and water. The nitrogen-fixing bacteria in the root nodules on the bean plants pull nitrogen from the air, convert it to ammonium and deposit it in the soil to replace the nutrients the corn has depleted. The broad leaves of the squash plants shade the soil so all three plants can thrive with very little rain or supplemental watering.

Where/how did we lose this valuable general knowledge about companion planting and drift into monoculture?

Marianna

I've seen Lima and butter beans here in states,figured they were the same. Wonder why both?? My be I was in another state. Maybe depends on the company packaging

ANYWAY, I will eat if served to me by friend,so not to offend,but not my favorite.

And they grew both, as well as winter squash, in the same hill with a dead fish for fertilizer buried along with the seeds. They called the combination 'the three sisters'.

Corn is a heavy consumer of nutrients and water. The nitrogen-fixing bacteria in the root nodules on the bean plants pull nitrogen from the air, convert it to ammonium and deposit it in the soil to replace the nutrients the corn has depleted. The broad leaves of the squash plants shade the soil so all three plants can thrive with very little rain or supplemental watering.

Where/how did we lose this valuable general knowledge about companion planting and drift into monoculture?

Marianna

Marianna
you are a veritable horticultural encyclopaedia - I am impressed ....

Marianna

I basically knew that except that I wasn't sure of the third plant. Thanks for the info. We entered into monoculture after WWII when farming became corporate and the focus was on crop yields. In addition, there was a lot of left over ammonium nitrate which is better known as ANFO and was turned into fertilizer.

Best recipe for sprouts................. load the cannon with gunpowder , pack in the sprouts , trajectory 180 , light the blue touch paper and cheer ferociously as they sail into the distance

Best recipe for sprouts................. load the cannon with gunpowder , pack in the sprouts , trajectory 180 , light the blue touch paper and cheer ferociously as they sail into the distance

Not sure what is intent here. 'Trajectory 180' strikes me as 'backwards'. For maximum range (distance) I think you mean 'Elevation 45'.

:13: :13: :13: :13: :13: :13:

Elevation of Sprouts

Thank you for pointing out my mistake however backwards or forwards is immaterial to me any distance from my plate would be most welcome .

Back