Sid's Cafe

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
In the early episodes the cafe was pretty run down,at some point they smarted it up,when did we see the appearance of the Gingham curtains and tablecloths,and what other changes came along over the years (The tea must of improved)

the buns went from standard current ones to very posh looking ones at one stage, although towards the end they did seem to be the same sort every year so maybe they were the same each year

we see that the cafe had been painted during a Bicycle made for 3.With new curtains and a nice clean apperance. :)

Thought the old cafe very 1950,s style and in line with the average caff all over the UK ,I expect the tea stayed horrible no Mazzerwati here.I always wonder just what was in Sid,s horrible meat pies and how much was beans and clips!

Talking of food when we were in London this week we went to BHS for a little lunch and I bought Macaroni and Cheese, I was surprised that with it I got a serving of chips. Is this British as I didn't think they go together..?????

It doesn't mean much but there was once a stage play (i think?) called Chips With Everything ;D

Talking of food when we were in London this week we went to BHS for a little lunch and I bought Macaroni and Cheese, I was surprised that with it I got a serving of chips. Is this British as I didn't think they go together..?????

It doesn't mean much but there was once a stage play (i think?) called Chips With Everything ;D

Chips with Everything is a 1962 play by Arnold Wesker. The play shows class attitudes at the time by examining the life of a corporal.

BBC Play of the Month: Season 11, Episode 1
Chips with Everything (28 Sep. 1975)

Not British I would say other than BHS is British Home Stores. I suspect that the BHS restaurant offers chips or an alternative potato dish with every main course choice. The fact that macaroni and cheese already contains its starch/staple in the macaroni pasta is probably overlooked.

I would suggest that in general with a meal one has one of either potato, rice, pasta or noodles. Mind, I have been known to indulge in chips with my Chow Mein although it already contains noodles.

Note, in many parts of the US I had to ask for Lo Mein to get what I consider to be Chow Mein.

I really thought it was weird to serve chips with pasta. But I truly enjoyed the Jacket Potato that I bought on another occasion It is not very popular here so I had it

I think that Jacket Potatoes got popular whe we had the old 'Spud-U-Like' outlets. Before that we only had them on November 5th, cooked under the bonfire!

Talking of weird food combonations, my husband likes Indian food I hate it but now and then he has an Indian take away I usually have scampi and nan bread, he was in the shop once ordering and the man said "You like your nan bread don't you?" My husband said some of that's for the wife" He said "What with scampi?" Apparently he went in the back and told the kitchen staff who broke out in fits of laughter??? He told my husband it was the weirdest combonation they had ever herd!! He even asked if I was pregnant! Cheek!!

Apple pie custard and ice cream I have always liked this combo and just before xmas at a Warners on the IOW it was actualy on the menu,they must have listened to me on previous visits.

I really thought it was weird to serve chips with pasta.

We were at a "fancy" pub/restaurant up near Hadrian's Wall
some years ago. My wife ordered the really fancy, high-toned
mushroom and walnut pasta -- that came with chips and peas.
Good though.

chuck

Apple pie custard and ice cream I have always liked this combo and just before xmas at a Warners on the IOW it was actualy on the menu,they must have listened to me on previous visits.

Had exactly this at a little cafe for morning tea in Nordlingen in Germany, it was also on the menu, apparantly popular locally.

Well, it sounds a lot like Apfelstrudel (which is actually Austrian), I think you have adopted it and call it apple stroodle or something ;D. Even if it isn´t, any sort of apple pie (especially if it´s warm) is hugely popular here with custard or vanilla ice cream. I think it is popular everywhere in Germany and in other countries as well.
It´s not quite my cup of tea, somehow I´m not such a fan of apple, and if I had a whole slice, I think I´d get a stomach ache. But one or two spoonfuls are delicious, especially with ice cream. I used to love custard, but I don´t as much anymore.

Well, it sounds a lot like Apfelstrudel (which is actually Austrian), I think you have adopted it and call it apple stroodle or something ;D. Even if it isn´t, any sort of apple pie (especially if it´s warm) is hugely popular here with custard or vanilla ice cream. I think it is popular everywhere in Germany and in other countries as well.
It´s not quite my cup of tea, somehow I´m not such a fan of apple, and if I had a whole slice, I think I´d get a stomach ache. But one or two spoonfuls are delicious, especially with ice cream. I used to love custard, but I don´t as much anymore.
Thats what it was, like you, I'm not a big fan of apple pie/Strudel, but this was very very good and I would eat this again.

Apple strudel is very good but it depends who and where it is made. We ate that while in Innsbruck in an outdoor cafe. Not good at all. Then another day on a side street where the locals go and it was out of this world. Couldn't be better.

Yes, Compo, you are quite right, it all depends on who is making it and which recipe. You can get everything from "awful" to "heavenly". I guess it´s like that with all sorts of food, but if you actually are in Austria like you were, it is a disgrace to get bad Apfelstrudel.

Two months ago my son and wife were in Bologna, Italy and when they returned his wife said to me to make them some Bolognese sauce. I laughed at them as they came back from there. She said no one makes it like you. She said the pasta was rubbish. You would think you are in Italy and get a fantastic pasta. You don't

Back