Selecting a tribute episode for each departed cast member

wstol

Dedicated Member
When Bill Owen died, an episode of LOTSW was shown as a tribute. In this case, they chose Bill's personal favourite episode - From Wellies to Wet Suit.

I believe Full Steam Behind was the favourite episode of both Peter Sallis and Brian Wilde.

So, which episode would you dedicate to each departed cast member??

For our Wally I would say "The Mysterious Feet of Nora Batty".....the absolutely classic lines..."I'M THE WRONG AGE FOR GOING STERILE"......"IV'E RAISED HER FROM AN EGG..SHE'S GONNA WIN RACES FOR ME...SHE'S MY PIGEON !!!"...."WHICH NIGHTIE ? [as Compo going insane with lust !!!!]....."PASS"......Nora talking to Wally as he washes his hands and approaches the table "IT'S LIKE A PIECE OF FURNITURE COMING ALIVE...I WOULD'NT MIND IF YOU WEREN'T SO BADLY PUT TOGETHER !!"....the smile that lit up the room as Nora caught him looking at her feet.....the physical comedy....Wally being manhandled into his seat in the pub...looking intently at his pint....and the landlord asking him is he looking at a jar of tadpoles !!!..it is an episode that shows every aspect of his deadpan comical genius......a wonderful tribute to a wonderful talent !!!....sadly missed by each and everyone of us.
X!

For Auntie I would suggest Is Jeremy Quite Safe only because the sheer comedic attempts to get the safe open only to find the combination is on the base plus when they open it Auntie is angry as it is in essence empty and the money she thinks she is owed isn't there . There are some great one liners in the show.

Wally, The Mysterious Feet of Nora Batty.
Nora, Some Enchanted Evening.
Compo, Nowhere Particular.
Howard, Passing the Earring.
Foggy, Destiny and 6 Bananas.
Westley, That thing in Wesley's Shed.
Clegg, Flower Power.
Ivy, When you Take a Big Bite Yorkshire Tastes Terrible.
Sid, Getting Sam Home.
Pearl, The Suit that Turned Left.
Crusher, Who's Looking After the Cafe Then.
Edie, Edie and the Automobile.

I vote Destiny and Six Bananas for Foggy. Not only is it one of his last episodes, but Foggy displays an unusual amount of bravery as he goes after the ape creature.

The sequence of Mysterious Feet and Keeping Britain Tidy are appropriate for Wally and Nora as a couple.

I completely agree Stephen !!!...
The introduction.....the "squeeky voice"...the wonderful lines....."that will be 10pence each...you won't get it cheaper anywhere else"....."Castor Oil"..."and afterwards we can play a nice game of Ludo"...."me' mother swore by it"....."they say it's indigestion....but I know it's a dodgy ticker"......and "you won't find me living in a fools paradise !!!!".......
I really thought that Jean was absolutely tailor made for our show...I think her amazing acting and real popularity made her stay more permanent than maybe Roy envisaged when he first wrote the part for her......very similar to Dame Thora......they were originally "special guest appearances"...which thankfully for us all became permanent until our final episode.
X!

I completely agree Stephen !!!...
The introduction.....the "squeeky voice"...the wonderful lines....."that will be 10pence each...you won't get it cheaper anywhere else"....."Castor Oil"..."and afterwards we can play a nice game of Ludo"...."me' mother swore by it"....."they say it's indigestion....but I know it's a dodgy ticker"......and "you won't find me living in a fools paradise !!!!".......
I really thought that Jean was absolutely tailor made for our show...I think her amazing acting and real popularity made her stay more permanent than maybe Roy envisaged when he first wrote the part for her......very similar to Dame Thora......they were originally "special guest appearances"...which thankfully for us all became permanent until our final episode.
X!

Yes it was such a great introduction for her, Keith, I agree. Just watched it again and I never tire of it. :) (I'm now on Uncle Of The Bride).

I was amazed to find out -- not too long ago -- that Jean was in Summer Wine longer (timewise) than she was in Coronation Street.

The "uniqueness" of our show is that while we have always had specific series where people absolutely love rewatching [i.e Porridge,Faulty Towers and Only Fools] we have 31 SERIES OF NEAR PERFECT EPISODES !! .....
Although we can all pick a few we are "not that keen on" Roy created such a magical show where we NEVER TIRE of watching each unique wonderful episode....it is an absolutely amazing thing........hence why "our show" still bring devotees from every corner of the globe to this amazing,life changing site of ours !!!.
X!

When You Take a Good Bite, Yorkshire Tastes Terrible for Clegg.
He remembers doing the 3 Pubs with Bill Henry and suggests they do a walking wake. It is an episode where he seems to take charge of the trio.
That was definitely a prime Clegg episode!
The "uniqueness" of our show is that while we have always had specific series where people absolutely love rewatching [i.e Porridge,Faulty Towers and Only Fools] we have 31 SERIES OF NEAR PERFECT EPISODES !! .....
Although we can all pick a few we are "not that keen on" Roy created such a magical show where we NEVER TIRE of watching each unique wonderful episode....it is an absolutely amazing thing........hence why "our show" still bring devotees from every corner of the globe to this amazing,life changing site of ours !!!.
X!
For me one of the beautiful things about Summer Wine are the many eras. I enjoy the gradual, and sometimes not so gradual, changes, from Blamire, to Foggy's first run, to Seymour, and so on. Then eventually you enjoy going back and enjoying the sequence of series all over again.

Back