Season 1 Episode titles

??? I am in America and bought a DVD with these episodes and these are the titles. This is the first I hear of the other titles. (My DVD is not a region free DVD so it was made for the American consumer.)

The alternatives were the episode titles used by BBC Commercial for selling series to US television companies, particularly PBS. Never can find the particular website when I want to.

Found the BBC website to which I was referring:

http://www.bbcprograms.com/catalog/lastofsummer/loswdesc.htm

Shows all those different Series #1 titles.

Also shows the origins of the Series 9 and 10 con for the UK DVDs.

And the dearth of Specials available for US television.

Interesting list written by different people over a period of time,Foggy would have a fit if he read through it,so many typos,you would think the BBC would make more effort before publishing something like this on the net,maybe they cannot get the quality of Staff these days

I am one of those Americans who don't understand everything, and thank you for telling me what the title of my favorite Blamire episode means. I eventually assumed the Palais Glide was referring to some type of dance that evening in the library.

My main point is, despite my lack of understanding, I prefer the original titles because it is more AUTHENTIC. "Lost Key"? It just doesn't have that Roy Clarke ring to it.

So my dear Brit friends, I am sorry for my country dumbing down things at times!

I have American friends and they are not dumb, but I read somewhere that when the film The Madness Of King George the 4th was released that they had to change the title to The Madness Of King George in America because Americans would be asking where the other 3 films were.
I was wondering if we Brits just assum that Americans wouldn't understand the titles? I think I would find that a little insulting.

That's actually an urban myth, the change was to emphisise that fact that the film was about a King (and it was George the 3rd, not 4th).

I have American friends and they are not dumb, but I read somewhere that when the film The Madness Of King George the 4th was released that they had to change the title to The Madness Of King George in America because Americans would be asking where the other 3 films were.
I was wondering if we Brits just assum that Americans wouldn't understand the titles? I think I would find that a little insulting.

That's actually an urban myth, the change was to emphisise that fact that the film was about a King (and it was George the 3rd, not 4th).

Quite right. Actual title of the original play was "The Madness of George III" (with Roman Numerals as standard). US would have no difficulty understanding the III as it is used far more there than in Europe - for example the golfer Davis Love III. For a second sequel it would have read "The Madness of George 3"

Back