Season 1 Episode titles

W

Who Is That Then

Why did the first season seem to have 2 different names to each episode, depending on what guide you are using. For instance you see "Compo Goes to Church" and you also see "Inventor of the 40 Foot Ferret" and then there's "Short Back & Palais Guide" & the more comprehensible "Lost Key" as the 2 names of the same episode.

These are the titles I have for Series 1:

1: Short Back And Palais Glide (NOT Guide!!)
2: Inventor Of The 40-Foot Ferret
3: Pate And Chips
4: Spring Fever
5: The New Mobile Trio
6: Hail Smiling Morn Or Thereabouts

My understanding is that these were the titles used when the series was sold in the US in particular. After all , the US would have no idea of the concepts of "Short Back and Palais Glide" it is outwith their culture.

I saw these alternate titles being used by the PBS local station here that's running the series. When you go to their website you see them using these names for the shows that are currently being broadcast. They've been using these names for at least 2 years that they've been showing the early programs. I guess the other names are the official ones. Though, to me the titles the TV station gave them make a heck of a lot more sense. I couldn't tell you what a "Short Back & Palais Guide" is if you paid me, but "Lost Key" I get.

I saw these alternate titles being used by the PBS local station here that's running the series. When you go to their website you see them using these names for the shows that are currently being broadcast. They've been using these names for at least 2 years that they've been showing the early programs. I guess the other names are the official ones. Though, to me the titles the TV station gave them make a heck of a lot more sense. I couldn't tell you what a "Short Back & Palais Guide" is if you paid me, but "Lost Key" I get.

They go to the barbers for a short back and sides haircut and Palais Glide refers to the dancing

I am one of those Americans who don't understand everything, and thank you for telling me what the title of my favorite Blamire episode means. I eventually assumed the Palais Glide was referring to some type of dance that evening in the library.

My main point is, despite my lack of understanding, I prefer the original titles because it is more AUTHENTIC. "Lost Key"? It just doesn't have that Roy Clarke ring to it.

So my dear Brit friends, I am sorry for my country dumbing down things at times!

I am one of those Americans who don't understand everything, and thank you for telling me what the title of my favorite Blamire episode means. I eventually assumed the Palais Glide was referring to some type of dance that evening in the library.

My main point is, despite my lack of understanding, I prefer the original titles because it is more AUTHENTIC. "Lost Key"? It just doesn't have that Roy Clarke ring to it.

So my dear Brit friends, I am sorry for my country dumbing down things at times!

I have American friends and they are not dumb, but I read somewhere that when the film The Madness Of King George the 4th was released that they had to change the title to The Madness Of King George in America because Americans would be asking where the other 3 films were.
I was wondering if we Brits just assum that Americans wouldn't understand the titles? I think I would find that a little insulting.

I have American friends and they are not dumb, but I read somewhere that when the film The Madness Of King George the 4th was released that they had to change the title to The Madness Of King George in America because Americans would be asking where the other 3 films were.
I was wondering if we Brits just assum that Americans wouldn't understand the titles? I think I would find that a little insulting.

That example is a bit extreme, then again, it depends on the target audience. Some social circles can be pretty ignorant. The British shows on Public Television are targeted to a somewhat more educated audience.

I didn't mean to offend anyone, I was saying that if another country did that to something I was watching I might be a little insulted.
But then again whos to its not been done?? :)

Some sites, including Wiki, list the episodes of series one as;

The Lost Key
Compo Goes to Church
They Don't Make Sandwiches Like That Any More
Compo's Suit
The 30s Car
The Art of Photography

I didn't mean to offend anyone, I was saying that if another country did that to something I was watching I might be a little insulted.

No offense taken at all, I know exactly what you are saying. I doubt any others on this site would be offended either.

The Lost Key
Compo Goes to Church
Compo's Suit
The 30s Car
The Art of Photography

Once again, those titles just lack that Roy Clarke charisma. I wish the American television folk could just leave things alone.

I will also use this thread to address a question I almost asked before on my "Blamire Years" topic, but I will aks now instead.

I will say that I don't understand all of the titles but that adds mystique to me.

What on earth os the meaning behind the title, "Inventor of the 40 Foot Ferret?

Yes, those titles are more like what the PBS station has assigned these season 1 episodes. I suppose the lesson of all this is, if you want your program to keep the correct titles then you need to show the title at the beginning of the show, otherwise later generations will "assign" their own titles to your show.

No offense taken at all, I know exactly what you are saying. I doubt any others on this site would be offended either.

The Lost Key
Compo Goes to Church
Compo's Suit
The 30s Car
The Art of Photography

Once again, those titles just lack that Roy Clarke charisma. I wish the American television folk could just leave things alone.

I will also use this thread to address a question I almost asked before on my "Blamire Years" topic, but I will aks now instead.

I will say that I don't understand all of the titles but that adds mystique to me.

What on earth os the meaning behind the title, "Inventor of the 40 Foot Ferret?

Compo said hunting couldn't be that different from ferreting.So i think it refers to the fact that he'd need a 40 foot ferret to hunt for grizzly bears etc

These are the titles I have for Series 1:

1: Short Back And Palais Glide (NOT Guide!!)
2: Inventor Of The 40-Foot Ferret
3: Pate And Chips
4: Spring Fever
5: The New Mobile Trio
6: Hail Smiling Morn Or Thereabouts
??? I am in America and bought a DVD with these episodes and these are the titles. This is the first I hear of the other titles. (My DVD is not a region free DVD so it was made for the American consumer.)

??? I am in America and bought a DVD with these episodes and these are the titles. This is the first I hear of the other titles. (My DVD is not a region free DVD so it was made for the American consumer.)

The alternatives were the episode titles used by BBC Commercial for selling series to US television companies, particularly PBS. Never can find the particular website when I want to.

The alternatives were the episode titles used by BBC Commercial for selling series to US television companies, particularly PBS. Never can find the particular website when I want to.

Found the BBC website to which I was referring:

http://www.bbcprograms.com/catalog/lastofsummer/loswdesc.htm

Shows all those different Series #1 titles.

Also shows the origins of the Series 9 and 10 con for the UK DVDs.

And the dearth of Specials available for US television.

Back