Picture Quiz 59

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
Have fun finding out what is missing in this picture

WM91.jpg

Why would there be an ashtray?? It says no smoking on the wall> ???

Sorry it appears it was an ashtray,it seem the Lads often would smoke in the Library,until they were caught and thrown out,nowadays they would hang you for it

In the 1970s there was an ambivalence about smoking - not allowed for "rules" sake rather than health reasons: ash trays (the one provided in the scene is rather grand for public places - usually a cheap pressed aluminium affair which I remember from hospital offices and college lecure rooms) were still around from the days when smoking was virtually universal. I certainly recall peopel smoking durign lectures in the early 1970s at college.

Oh yeah, when I started with IBM in the 60's everybody
smoked, both in their offices and in meetings. Some status
meetings got so bad you could not see across the table.
Ashtrays were heaped with butts and ash. Twas really
horrible.

These days I believe smokers have to leave the building
to light up.

[/quote]

Sorry it appears it was an ashtray,it seem the Lads often would smoke in the Library,until they were caught and thrown out,nowadays they would hang you for it
Sorry Terry I was trying for a touch of irony but it failed ; however it provoked some debate so alls well :-[

Sorry Terry I was trying for a touch of irony but it failed ; however it provoked some debate so alls well :-[
[/quote]

What sadden me today on a trip to Lincoln County Hospital, is that they had sectioned off a disabled parking bay, fitted a hugh astray on the spot and made it a designated smoking area

>:( The problem at my local hospital in Notts is the fact that they took a fair bit of the carpark and "beautified" it with planters and things . Now everyone including disabled have to queue to get to park. This can sometimes hold-up emergency ambulances who share the drive on their way to casualty. Another 'Looks good on paper' situation!!!

I hope it wasn´t you, Terry, who needed the hospital :eek:!
I only thought it was the ash tray because I noticed it was an old episode when they still used to smoke. Seeing Cleggy in that picture made my think of the episode when they were thrown out because he was smoking and I found it weird, somehow I´m only used to Compo smoking. Talking of that, Peter told me once that he actually did smoke, but quit a long time ago again. He called it a filthy habit. I suppose it was in the 60´s, like cciaffone mentioned, it seems everybody did it.

It appeared that in the 50s & 60s there was something wrong with you if 1: You did not smoke and they helped as much as they could as you were able to buy cigarettes in packets or just the odd one or two and a pack of twenty in the 60's cost about 18p,you could smoke in most places including a hospital bed,and the doctor would walk around the wards with a pipe on. 2: You had to have your tonsils out

:D I quit smoking 23 years ago but I am now under the Hospital for Emphysema and Bronchectasis ( hence my nom de plume)They still blame the ciggies , not the 40 years in the knitwear industry! Who knows how many sweaters i'm breathing through!! ::)

:D I quit smoking 23 years ago but I am now under the Hospital for Emphysema and Bronchectasis ( hence my nom de plume)They still blame the ciggies , not the 40 years in the knitwear industry! Who knows how many sweaters i'm breathing through!! ::)

The trivia one remembers. I worked in a newsagent/tobacconist at school - left in 1960 - and the top end of the range cigarettes, untipped Senior Service, Players, Capstan etc were all 1/11 1/2 for 10 , 3/11 for twenty and even then that was mostly duty. No supermarket discounting then, RRP ruled supreme.

The trivia one remembers. I worked in a newsagent/tobacconist at school - left in 1960 - and the top end of the range cigarettes, untipped Senior Service, Players, Capstan etc were all 1/11 1/2 for 10 , 3/11 for twenty and even then that was mostly duty. No supermarket discounting then, RRP ruled supreme.
Nowadays you would not be allowed near the let alone serve them!! Incidentally my father smoked PLAYERS NAVY CUT all his working life, I lost count of the number of times I was sent to the CO OP for them!! :)

Nowadays you would not be allowed near the let alone serve them!! Incidentally my father smoked PLAYERS NAVY CUT all his working life, I lost count of the number of times I was sent to the CO OP for them!! :)

Maybe need to make clear that I was eighteen when I left school. I might have had the odd pint before the legal limit but not cigarettes.

Back