New DVD - The Christmas Specials

The Blamire series have never been issued complete on Region 1 DVDs. The the set issued by the Canadian company BFS Entertainment & Multimedia Ltd. includes all of season 1, part of season 2 and Getting Sam Home. All without closed captions / subtitles, so useless for the hard-of-hearing.

I have read on this forum that some of the region 1 sets are missing random scenes, so I'm planning to keep my region-free player and region 2 sets, and stop even considering the region 1 sets. Granted, the cases look nicer, but if the region 2 content is complete and the region 1 isn't, no amount of attractive packaging makes a bit of difference.

Marianna

Interesting.

I assumed by now a complete Series Two would have been available on region 1.

In the UK, Getting Sam Home, Series One, and some of Series Two were the first VHS videos to be released between 1984 and 1991. More from Series Two followed in 1992.

It took until 1996 to get Some Enchanted Evening from Series Two.

I'm wondering if some copyright issues dating back from this has caused a delay in some of the region 1 DVDs.

Hopefully there will be a region 1 Vintage 1975 and Vintage 1973 complete with pilot one day.

In the UK, Getting Sam Home, Series One, and some of Series Two were the first VHS videos to be released between 1984 and 1991.

So apparently BFS Entertainment simply reissued that VHS for region 1. I had wondered where/how the strange content originated.

Hopefully there will be a region 1 Vintage 1975 and Vintage 1973 complete with pilot one day.

I'm beginning to believe that anyone issuing the pilot for any region exists only in my dreams!

Marianna

Interesting.

I assumed by now a complete Series Two would have been available on region 1.

In the UK, Getting Sam Home, Series One, and some of Series Two were the first VHS videos to be released between 1984 and 1991. More from Series Two followed in 1992.

It took until 1996 to get Some Enchanted Evening from Series Two.

I'm wondering if some copyright issues dating back from this has caused a delay in some of the region 1 DVDs.

Very first LOTSW videos from BBC Video;
1) 1984 Short Back and Palais Glide, Inventor of the Forty Foot Ferret, Pate and Chips.
Some opening and closing titles removed, to make the three shows appear to be a film.
2) 1986 Getting Sam Home.
3) 1991 Spring Fever, The New Mobile Trio, Hail Smiling Morn or Thereabouts.
4) 1991 Forked Lightning, Who's That Dancing with Nora Batty?, The Changing Face of Rural Blamire.
5) 1992 A Quiet Drink, Ballad for Wind Instruments and Canoe, Northern Flying Circus.

As you can see, in those days you only got three half hour episodes on one tape, and could certainly account for the strange region 1 DVD releases that would have followed quite a few years later.

So apparently BFS Entertainment simply reissued that VHS for region 1. I had wondered where/how the strange content originated.

It does look like that BFS DVD was a direct transfer from a VHS tape...a worn out VHS tape. The picture quality is not good at all on that release. I've had that one for years, but I have yet to watch "Getting Sam Home" because of the not so great picture quality. (I know, I know...I should watch it anyway, but I've been spoiled by the newer DVD releases.)

It does look like that BFS DVD was a direct transfer from a VHS tape...a worn out VHS tape. The picture quality is not good at all on that release. I've had that one for years, but I have yet to watch "Getting Sam Home" because of the not so great picture quality. (I know, I know...I should watch it anyway, but I've been spoiled by the newer DVD releases.)

Getting Sam Home is my all time favourite, some people don't like it because of the subject matter or that there is no laughter in there but I love it because of that. When you watch it please come back and let me know your views on it :)

Getting Sam Home is my all time favourite, some people don't like it because of the subject matter or that there is no laughter in there but I love it because of that. When you watch it please come back and let me know your views on it :)

Yes its one of my favourites too, one reason for me is that they all have an equal share of the really funny moments, so which ever character you like the best gets a chance to shine. Climbing into Sams bedroom with his body is hilarious as is the scene when they are playing cards and Lily Bless 'er screams.

Yes its one of my favourites too, one reason for me is that they all have an equal share of the really funny moments, so which ever character you like the best gets a chance to shine. Climbing into Sams bedroom with his body is hilarious as is the scene when they are playing cards and Lily Bless 'er screams.

I like when Sid gets his van back in one piece and kisses Clegg :D

Back