LOTSW Appreciation Society.

Does anyone know what happened to the Society? It disappeared many years ago.I received the last magazine then nothing.The magazine was called “Deep in the Heart of Yorkshire”. The President was C S Eardley. I met him once at the British Comedy Society LOTSW dinner at Pinewood Studios. Anyone on here attend?
The star of that day was Norman Wisdom.....who did a prat fall during the dinner.....and he was in his eighties then. Interestingly (or not).....Kathy Staffs husband was about the same size as Wally Batty! We had a chat in the loo....he was head of mathematics at a secondary school no less.

It seems as soon as the show ended Clive stopped the Society and vanished, he was on Facebook for a while but has since vanished,some folk said they stopped sending the newsletter just after they had paid for another year with no explanation, how true this is I don't know, I met him a couple of time when they were filming

It seems as soon as the show ended Clive stopped the Society and vanished, he was on Facebook for a while but has since vanished,some folk said they stopped sending the newsletter just after they had paid for another year with no explanation, how true this is I don't know, I met him a couple of time when they were filming

Yes absolutely true. I was a member and we used to send postage paid envelopes to Clive each year for the regular mailings. He should still have one or two for me!

In the last year we got a brief news letter and one journal and also a guide to filming sites. I did try contacting him as I had a telephone number as well as his address but got no answer. I have visited him a couple of times in the past as he did not live far from where I worked. He had several TV interests other than SW.

I still have all the copies of the Journal and other material - there was a committee but all seem to have vanished. Lot of interviews with the actors as well as potted guides to each programme.

I've heard of this LOTSW appreciation Society and I've always been curious about reading those Journals and Newsletters; perhaps there is a good amount of valuable information to come from them?

It seems as soon as the show ended Clive stopped the Society and vanished\
you would think that after its finished is when it should be more active - for a while anyway...
Other ones they have for some shows are things like the 'ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW RERUN WATCHERS CLUB' for many old school shows

quick google finds some interesting stuff
http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/last-summer-wine-appreciation-societys-4993352
and a few threads on the forum about it here

I find it very interesting that there are some amazing and very active 'fan clubs' out there for shows from many yrs back.. EG: http://www.onthebusesfanclub.com/id168.html but not really much for one of the longest running shows ever. also find it weird that no station pay tv or otherwise isnt running LOTSW from series 1 onwards- talk about money for old rope.

Over here, they replay MASH, and many other shows 102039854029834028930492830's of times, replaying LOTSW from episode 1 of this would pay for itself in no time.. or is it the fact that the world has moved on to the need for swearing, and T&A everywhere to be humorous... ??

Surprised there isnt a group having 'LOTSW" nights or afternoons watching a few episodes. would be a great arvos entertainment..although no good for me in aussie :) or maybe its just my solid disdain for modern TV.. I really struggle to turn on the tele anymore.

As i type this Im watching a CARRY ON ... marathon on Fox Classics while listening to a very one sided Ashes tour :(

You are right we are a pale imitation of a Cricket Team and you thoroughly deserve to win . I would rather watch Carry On any day in fact I have recorded a series of three documentaries called Carry on Forever , an historical account of the Carry On series, which I intend watching again later . For such low budget films compared with the blockbusters made today they have survived remarkably well and continue to make money , over here they are always on one channel or other .

I met Clive when I went up to Holmfirth for a 30th celebration dinner for the series. He was staying above the old bakery and talked at length about his passion for the series and his experiences as head of the appreciaction society - he always seemed quite genuine and I'm sure he was deeply saddened when the show finished.

They play LOTSW every weeknight in New Zealand on SKY TV. In 2016 they started playing it from series one and went right through to the last episode showing even the specials. It finished in early April last year then they started it all over again. This time they did not include the specials. Over the Christmas and into the New Year they have been playing the Christmas Specials every weeknight with two episodes.

I met Clive when I went up to Holmfirth for a 30th celebration dinner for the series. He was staying above the old bakery and talked at length about his passion for the series and his experiences as head of the appreciaction society - he always seemed quite genuine and I'm sure he was deeply saddened when the show finished.

I was at that dinner our paths must of crossed, it was a great evening

I was at that dinner our paths must of crossed, it was a great evening

I'm sure they must have at some point :) It was indeed a great evening and it's setting very much invoked thoughts of Walmington on Sea's church hall. Although I helped to lower the average age somewhat considerably I was made to feel most welcome and it was well worth the solo trek I undertook.

more info here: https://web.archive.org/web/20080501192423/http://www.summer-wine.com:80/30th/30thhome.htm

(thanks to daveb for unwittingly helping out here)

Following on from this old thread, as it's been over 2 years, did anyone ever hear from/about Clive? I know he used to be a real advocate of the series and I used to enjoy his website. Seems odd he suddenly stopped updating the website a year or so before the series ended and appeared to disappear.....

Last edited:
Following on from this old thread, as it's been over 2 years, did anyone ever hear from/about Clive? I know he used to be a real advocate of the series and I used to enjoy his website. Seems odd he suddenly stopped updating the website a year or so before the series ended and appeared to disappear.....

I understand he is still about as a friend who is producing a new book will be having a telephone interview with him soon, I did spot him on FB over a year ago travelling the USA and meeting up with some American actors

I understand he is still about as a friend who is producing a new book will be having a telephone interview with him soon, I did spot him on FB over a year ago travelling the USA and meeting up with some American actors
Thanks Terry, glad he's still alive as I did wonder...

Well it’s four years since I posted ,and no real answer to where the society disappeared to. Would be nice if folk in and around Holmfirth could resurrect some sort of society as , after the lockdowns , I guess there are plenty of interested folk who might like to meet up to visit locations etc. I like to travel up to W Yorks once a year where I used to live.
Interesting that I’m still classed as a new member after 4 years ??

Hopefully a new group of people will have discovered the Last of the Summer Wine show over covid lockdown and have a desire to visit Holmaforth.

Back