Last of the Summer Wine Magazine

Yes, I have that and found it very good even though I have a fair few other books.
I really enjoyed it.

Well worth it I think (even though I had to wait about a month to get it when ordered on US Amazon). Published by the proprietor of Nora Batty's Holiday Cottage!

I'm ashamed to say I only go around to buying this a few days ago, I was a little sceptical at first as these things often just tend to be regurgitated photos to make more money.

How wrong I was, there is a plethora of insights and information in there and many pictures I've never seen before. I did notice that many of the pictures are straight out of the Summer Wine Exhibition. Also is the bench Bill Owen donated to the town still in existence ?

Thank you for the video. Made me realize how nice of a speaking voice Tom Owen has. Is a shame he did not do some voice narration to some of the audio episodes like Peter Sallis did. I really like the ones that Peter did. I now feel Tom could have added to the story telling nicely as well.

Some directors commentary or hearing some cast members talking about the episode in a secondary audio track as it plays would have been awesome when they released the complete series on DVD. As well as digital restoration. (sigh)

Last edited:
I don't know the answer to that one but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to put us right. The civic hall will be the venue for a few events next year for the 50th anniversary celebrations & I'm sure a lot of bottoms will take the opportunity to sit on that bench!

The update on the bench reminds me of that fan funded statue of Compo project. Did anything ever happen with that? Last update I saw they had some sort of stella created (that nobody liked) and they were talking about putting it up somewhere. Later somebody else took over the whole project and said they were considering all their options.

It would be great if the plinth could be erected next year but it seems to be a prickly subject. The money raised 'went missing' & Kirklees don't seem interested, which is a pity, as the area still benefits from the tourism generated.

We have been saying that for some time on here Barry . On my visits to Holmfirth and by mail I tried to persuade the Tourist Information team[Is the Office still there been a few years since I have been] that Holmfirth's involvement in LOTSW didn't end with Nora's House and the Cafe as the only attractions. I suggested they could easily map out other locations in the town where they filmed, same goes for Marsden and Jackson Bridge [not withstanding the summer wine tour bus think there was room for both without detracting from the bus operators income] , set up a LOTSW trail and publish it in their literature .

Closest I got to an answer was a polite we will forward it to what was probably some fictitious individual never to be aired again. After discussing with the member concerned I even tried to get him the gig of providing some of his then and now location stills which they seemed keen on face to face but nothing ever happened. In my mind they have a debt of honour to the show for the business, visitors and income it has brought to the area that they have continually reneged on.

What started it was I mentioned to the ladies how sad it was to see the market hall mid Saturday afternoon with just one solitary flower seller upstairs and the rest of the vast space completely empty. I was told that this is getting knocked down and maybe replaced (it was a car garage in a few earlier episodes apparently)

Hopefully the 50th year celebrations there next year will be a great success and refocus the hearts and minds of Kirklees Council. I completely echo your sentiments CC, Holmfirth was a quite deprived post industrial town in the early 70's and the show in no small part changed that.

set up a LOTSW trail and publish it in their literature .
I think this would be a great idea to set up a trail loop (or a collection of drivable trailheads/loops for varying abilities). That would let visitors see and hear the sights as if they were on one of the trio's walks. It wouldn't even have to match exact filming locations but instead take hikers to the types of vistas, nooks and restings points thematically consistent with what was seen in episodes.

The market used to very busy but today it’s virtually non existent which is a great shame.
Local to us we have some great Makers Markets once a month , usually on a Sunday. They get very busy and bring a lot of revenue into the town/ villages that have them.

Back