Last of the Summer Wine Magazine

The market used to very busy but today it’s virtually non existent which is a great shame.
Local to us we have some great Makers Markets once a month , usually on a Sunday. They get very busy and bring a lot of revenue into the town/ villages that have them.
I was in Shrewsbury market on Saturday and it's full of wonderful artisan stalls with lovely people willing to give that personal touch (it was voted best market hall in the UK a few years back) The days of the old fashioned Del Boy type markets have been replaced by the internet. It's disappointing to think that Kirklees Council can't see this and repurpose the design of their market.....

We have Farmer and Xmas markets but weekly we have something still referred to as Paddy's market which was started by Irish workers and their families who came to work in Newcastle and set up stalls where they sold and traded clothing. Today things have changed though the market is still on the Quayside starting under the Tyne Bridge and stretching to the Millennium Bridge and recently stretches in the other direction to the Swing Bridge .

A lot of the stalls are fast and street food related but some have local cottage industries and arts and crafts but we also lost the Del Boy traders I can remember from my youth when they would throw up tea services and catch them to the amazing of the crowd plus there were at least two close up magic trick sellers who were talented and also sold lots of tricks to kids like me and over 50 years later I'm still trying to fathom out how it works.

Wow! I've just finished this magazine which I've read from cover to cover at long last. Was an entertaining and enlightening read! There is just as much content if not more than Andrew Vines book, plus packed with loads of photo's I've not seen before.

I was initially quite cynical as these 'magazines' are often just a few photos mixed in with regurgitated information. However this a really fab read when you sit down and read it all, I love the insights from those who lived in Holmfirth and got to know the characters. I also love the reference to 'Terry Barlam - Superfan' :D

For those who've not already got this book, I heartily recommend you either download or order this.

Back