Is it me

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
I watched the Royal Bodyguard last night with David Jason who I admire as an actor, but this show I found to be terrible,not funny at all and looked as though it was written by a 10 year old,then again it was on the BBC and the bosses there are not much older.

I'm afraid I've given up watching 'comedies' on terrestrial channels.As far as I'm concerned LOTSW was our last link with proper television.

I'm afraid I've given up watching 'comedies' on terrestrial channels.As far as I'm concerned LOTSW was our last link with proper television.

Hi George,I agree 99% of terrestrial comedy is rubbish and not worth watching, though I will not pay Sky any money because all the decent comedy on there I already have plus we paid for it once in our TV licence along with the fact no matter what they were showing I would not give them money while they have a Murdoch member as chairman or anywhere else on the board.

I'm with you George, I spent part of Christmas with my grandkids and was persuaded to watch OUTNUMBERED . I found it terribly " unfunny"and could not see why they raved about it.However I am losing my hearing and was perhaps missing something, so will have to try again with the sound up a bit!

I found the Royal Bodyguard very dated in comedy terms. Very Norman Wisdomish I thought. Not done David Jason any good at all.

i didn't watch it but i just knew it wouldn't be any good, not because of David Jason, he is great, but just because it looked to stupid.

i kind of like outnumbered, just because the little girl Karen is the absolute double of my 4 year old daughter Betsy.

Modern sitcoms desperately try to be funny but they just totally fail, they are so overrated i.e Miranda, Outnumbered, Life of Riley etc

It really annoys me that the BBC gave up on LOTSW to give airtime to the tripe that masquerades as comedy!!

I am in the US and it is the same way here - modern comedies are not funny or maybe I don't understand their sense of humor :(

For the past few years I have considered David Jason at his best in the likes of Frost, not in comedy roles.

I did not see the programme in question but tend to watch old classics on my DVD and videotape collection ....

I can honestly say I have watched no more than two or three hours of TV over the last few days.

I did not see the programme in question but tend to watch old classics on my DVD and videotape collection ....

I can honestly say I have watched no more than two or three hours of TV over the last few days.

as much as that,must be a news fan

For the past few years I have considered David Jason at his best in the likes of Frost, not in comedy roles.
Do's anyone remember him as Dithers the gardener to Ronnie Barker's Lord Rustless?? This always cracked me up! ;D

as much as that,must be a news fan

Check the weather and news mainly and a little to be sociable - although most of it is depressing - time :) to watch a decent comedy methinks .....

I think the beeb have virtualy admitted its rubbish article in the Daily Express today but seems they are desperate to keep David Jason on the beeb ,so watch this space.

A total waste of acting talent, this is not one that David Jason will want to be forever associated with!!!

The first episode was ok, but stopped half way through the second, as I thought it was total rubbish, the bumbling idiot has been done to death!!

Do's anyone remember him as Dithers the gardener to Ronnie Barker's Lord Rustless?? This always cracked me up! ;D

I have just had these episode on DVD they are really good, the series is called Hark at Barker it is on a set with another series called Six Dates With Barker.

The show cannot be called a classic or groundbreaking like so many David Jason programmes in the 80s and 90s.

It is extremely predictable.

It is old fashioned (nothing wrong with that) and is very similar to other comedies by David Jason - The Top Secret Life of Edgar Briggs (1974 tv) and White Cargo (1973 film).

David Jason is clearly too old for the part, should have done it 20 years ago. In fact he spent the last 20 years on all his drama projects while I thought he was waiting for a superb new comedy to come along. This is not superb.

However, there is something watchable in the new programme. David Jason is always watchable. Also, the programme is clean and truly is family viewing - which is what he set out to do. But why show it in the post-watershed slot? Possibly this time slot gets a wider audience. I have to admit just after 9 pm is a more convenient time for me to watch, though this programme could be on childrens tv.

On balance, it's a load of rubbish that I'm happy to watch because it's undemanding. Like Green, Green Grass. But still a nasty spot on David Jason's cv.

Back