I just realized....

Marina'sTwin

Dedicated Member
The ladies in the coffee group were SNOBS! I love them all, especially Pearl and Glenda, but they were kind of snobbish, don't ya'll think? They not only seemed to hate on men, but also anyone who wasn't like them. Glenda wasn't as snobbish as the others, but still. I believe that Ivy and Nora hated on Marina just because she wasn't like them. I don't recall them having a reason to hate her like Pearl did. So, to make this a discussion, who thinks the coffee clique (yes, I'm calling them that) would accept them, and who thinks they would hate them?

P.S. I KNOW they'd hate me. LOL

The coffee group probably wouldn't know what to make of me and I doubt that they would accept me. I've been divorced for 42 years, retired in 2001 from focusing on a career for all of my adult life, never been much of a cook and have always been a very casual housekeeper (that's putting it tactfully!). They might even find me a bit threatening and I'd have nothing to contribute to the conversation. Since we have nothing in common, I wouldn't mind being excluded.

That said, they're hilarious from a distance.

Marianna

I would guess that Ivy and Nora hated Marina simply for her being a `husband stealer`.

Would they accept me? I`m not sure they would accept anyone including each other really. :smile:

Ms. Davenport wasn't fully accepted either but they eventually accepted her to have her over for tea.

Actually I think that. secretly, apart from Pearl, they liked Marina because it gave them a topic to get their teeth into when they were not complaining about husbands. Not sure if 'hate' was quite the right word - they disapproved. But if all the husbands behaved and there was no Marina what would they talk about?

They were trying for a more "cultured" approach, to show that they were moving away from their working class roots yet interestingly Glenda was more middle class because of Barry's occupation and Miss Davenport was middle class because of her job. These last two you have identified as being on the periphery.

Edie's social pretensions really show when she talked about her brother, Seymour, whom she regarded with great affection as to have your own school was several notches up the social scale despite its economic and educational shortcomings!

I would guess that Ivy and Nora hated Marina simply for her being a `husband stealer`.

Would they accept me? I`m not sure they would accept anyone including each other really. :smile:

Good point, they kind of seemed to have their own little group and probably just wanted to keep it between them. My thinking about Ivy and Nora was more like, why dislike someone who hasn't done anything to you? Did Marina mess with Wally or Sid? I don't remember that ever being mentioned. But I realize maybe they talked bad about her because Pearl was their friend and they were being supportive. I fully understand that because if someone was doing something to one of my friends, I certainly wouldn't like the person. So maybe that's it. I also have another question. Do ya'll think Glenda hung out with them because she genuinely wanted to or was it just because her mother wanted her to?

My thinking about Ivy and Nora was more like, why dislike someone who hasn't done anything to you? Did Marina mess with Wally or Sid?

It seems to me that in the real world, as well as in Summer Wine Land, a home-wrecker or even just a wanna-be home-wrecker, is a threat to all marriages, whether or not she has ever threatened one's own.

Marianna

It seems to me that in the real world, as well as in Summer Wine Land, a home-wrecker or even just a wanna-be home-wrecker, is a threat to all marriages, whether or not she has ever threatened one's own.

Marianna

Well, that might explain why I couldn't see a real concrete reason to dislike Marina! LOL I've never been married (though I have had guys who wanted me to marry them, but I'm WAY too much of a free spirit to be tied down). On a serious note, though, people should get to know the person before talking about them behind their back. I know it's just a comedy, but the way everyone talks about her behind her back without really even getting to know her really bugs me. Maybe because I know what it's like to be talked about by people who don't even know you.

I don't know if they would except me or not. I work outside of the home and I don't keep house like they do, I live in my home and keep it clean so child services cannot take kids away! LOL. I would like to have tea with them to catch up on the neighborhood gossip. I think Nora and Ivy ,and Edie were old school and just had a hard time excepting things that were different in how they were brought up and how their married life was.

I think Glenda could easily go and hang out with the building society people, she hung with the coffee clique because her mom did. Edie wanted her daughter to think like her. That is why she was constantly told to drink her coffee, she didn't always approve of her thoughts. :20::21:

Is that all it takes for them to not accept someone? LOL I do clean my house A LOT, but I work, I have 13 body piercings, I have a tattoo and am planning to get more, I wear tight jeans and low cut shirts, I dye my hair weird colors, I'm not into men (if you know what I mean), I wear heavy eye makeup, I smoke, I drink (occasionally), every other word out of my mouth is a swear word, and I don't care what people think about me. They not only wouldn't accept me, they would actively want me dead! LOL

WOW! That's what I first want to say. Kudos to Marina's Twin ( Holly, is it? ) for the subject. I wouldn't be accepted in the Coffee Clique because I need to be "giggling all the time" as Nora spoke of Smiler's wife. However, I'd like to be in Glenda's position, sitting with some nice coffee and biscuits and just being amazed at the opinions of the ladies of the village. Secondly, I think everyone is now gobsmacked by your revelations, Marina. GORDON BENNET! You made me pause for a mo. More power to you for being up front about your life. You remind me a li'l bit of Crusher's girlfriend, Fran. Did you all know that Fran is Stan Laurel's daughter or some such?

WOW! That's what I first want to say. Kudos to Marina's Twin ( Holly, is it? ) for the subject. I wouldn't be accepted in the Coffee Clique because I need to be "giggling all the time" as Nora spoke of Smiler's wife. However, I'd like to be in Glenda's position, sitting with some nice coffee and biscuits and just being amazed at the opinions of the ladies of the village. Secondly, I think everyone is now gobsmacked by your revelations, Marina. GORDON BENNET! You made me pause for a mo. More power to you for being up front about your life. You remind me a li'l bit of Crusher's girlfriend, Fran. Did you all know that Fran is Stan Laurel's daughter or some such?

You made me laugh :D I think you're a little confused about Fran :D http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yvette_Fielding

Stan Laurel's daughter, Lois, appeared in Bicycle Bonanza. She entered the café wearing a hat identical to Nora's.

LOL Actually, I'm just a tiny bit sorry for that whole list of revelations! LOL I was extremely tired last night and I tend to think it's ok to just tell everyone everything when I'm really tired. It gets me in trouble at work sometimes. Especially in front of customers when I really need to watch what comes out of my mouth. But that's how my supervisors know when it's time to send me home. LOL Sorry if I freaked anyone out, but yeah, now it's out in the open, so everyone can just think what they want about me. LOL

Anyway, I can imagine me at one of the coffee meetings! LOL "Yo, let's drink coffee until we're (bleep) bouncing off the (bleep) walls! I need a cigarette. Glenda, you wanna be my smoking buddy?" LOL They'd kill me!

Sorry for the mile long post. And I may be showing my Americanism here, but who's Stan Laurel? :confused:

LOL Actually, I'm just a tiny bit sorry for that whole list of revelations! LOL I was extremely tired last night and I tend to think it's ok to just tell everyone everything when I'm really tired. It gets me in trouble at work sometimes. Especially in front of customers when I really need to watch what comes out of my mouth. But that's how my supervisors know when it's time to send me home. LOL Sorry if I freaked anyone out, but yeah, now it's out in the open, so everyone can just think what they want about me. LOL

Anyway, I can imagine me at one of the coffee meetings! LOL "Yo, let's drink coffee until we're (bleep) bouncing off the (bleep) walls! I need a cigarette. Glenda, you wanna be my smoking buddy?" LOL They'd kill me!

Sorry for the mile long post. And I may be showing my Americanism here, but who's Stan Laurel? :confused:

Not gonna do that to ya, girl!
Part of old Comedian Team, They were great!

Sorry for the mile long post. And I may be showing my Americanism here, but who's Stan Laurel? :confused:[/QUOTE]

lol that had me in bits.

You are who you are and you can't/shouldn't want to change that.

Last edited:
Laurel & Hardy were a comedy team in the 1920's, 30's and 40's. They did classic, slapstick comedy. Stan Laurel, a thin Englishman, played a childlike, lovable character. Oliver Hardy, a heavyset American played his pompous, overbearing friend. You can see them on YouTube if you're curious.

I agree with Barmpot. "Hate" is too harsh of a word. Plus, I didn't think they were snobs at all, even Edie. Very funny, yes, but not snobs.

Back